Enter the House of the Undying, the Palace of Dust

Maybe Jughead, maybe. But George did not say "The Books Is Done" to me.

And I don't think it's impending. I think he is taking the time to make it the best book it can possibly be. But we're definitely in the home stretch, IMO.

I definitely know the end isn't impending. Ran is right. But I do feel have that same feeling of ADWD being in the home stretch somewhat. However, I've also felt it's been in the home stretch since AFFC came out. I'm an optimist. :)

I found the quote I was thinking of in So Spake Martin, Feb. 2005. It was posted by StegoKing, so I assume that's Stego: "Most of you will chalk this up for a gag or joke or something of that nature. I assure you that it is not. This is the forum with the most traffic, so I decided to post it here first...

He ALSO stated, quite definitively, that 'A Feast For Crows' would be released this summer.

This wasn't an estimate. this wasn't 'Don't even ask.' This was, AFFC will be coming out in the summer."

It's a totally different situation now, of course, so trying to adapt that situation to now is way off.

"Guy I introduced to my wife as 'Brian' and then found out that wasn't his name."

Hey Rakehell, welcome!! I believe the above description is mine - no worries about the name, I get that all the time. Was very cool meeting you and your wife, hopefully we'll see you around here and at some more Cons in the future.

Checking through the pictures, the final two I hadn't identified yet were indeed Lady Stego and Greywolf.

Sorry about the name mistake, my mid-range hearing is shot from working around computers all day and in crowded situations like that the background noise makes it difficult to hear.

I feel old now.... "The hearing's always the first thing to go."

Time to go see what other trouble I can get myself into around here....

World Fantasy Con, part three - Lugalirra pretty much summed up the parties for me. However, I totally forgot to mention the Autograph session!

Never quite seen anything like it. One hundred? authors in a convention room for three hours, signing books. Regina was able to get every book she brought along signed, which thrilled her to no end. It was loud and chaotic and amusing to watch. Plus, getting to see what some of the authors actually looked like in person was really neat.

We went out to dinner at a fancy restaurant on Saturday, which was nice, and provided the opportunity for conversations again. It may be unusual to actually have conversations at these things, but I am not complaining. We got to hear the lime jello in the bathtub story from George, which was amusing as hell; the X's did their aforementioned drooling over Tim Powers; Lugalirra's ordeal to get food of any kind in any form.

I finally managed to get to the Borders on Saturday, at the expense of not having a nap (or attempt to), and picked up the first in a WWII trilogy by Jeff Shaara; World War Z by Max Brooks; and The Blade Itself, by Joe Abercrombie. I have no idea when I will get to any of them, but I hope within the month.

I lost track of the number of authors and their works that I wanted to try keeping track of to eventually try. Ah, well.

A round of gratitude to everyone who helped in any way, shape, or form. As usual, the largest disappointment other than the con ending is not being able to have the time while we ARE all there to talk more. The idea that I have to potentially wait until Denver or later to see some of those people again is infuriating. Hasn't someone hit the damn lottery yet and gotten this commune thing started?

"Young woman who took over tending bar from aforementioned guy, but was a bit anxious about it"

Well, I may not have been entirely sober at that point, and was probably nervous about forgetting how to make the drink. :)

Welcome to the board though! Don't worry, I've spent hardly any time at all since joining in the Books forum, and pretty much stick to the Brotherhood without Banners forum--I didn't even find out about the board until I'd been freeloading off BwB parties at cons for about a year and a half (I was a huge fan of the series, and had noticed that the BwB always had the best parties). And they still put up with me.

"Guy who was trying very hard to get a story put in the next Wild Cards cycle (but wouldn't use his son's superhero ideas)"

Matt Jarpe. He has 1 or 2 science fiction novels published with Tor, and is a big fan of GRRM (both Wild Cards and ASOIAF). He's a cool guy. One of my coworkers actually used to work with him. Small world....

On a completely different note: Bronn, I'm so sorry to hear about your car accident! I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt, though.

In his LJ, Scott gave me permission to try to summarize his reading. I've started a thread in the Literature forum. I figured someone else would be taking notes and took none, and I fear I've bollocked the thing up pretty badly. I'd love for the collective group to improve the framework I've started.

• 2 weeks later...

And GRRM announes...

Next year's World Fantasy Con will be in Calgary, in Canada. I had so much fun at this year's WFC that Parris and I are adding that one to our schedule. See you there!

Congrats to the BwB. :P

It would suck to miss another of these I fear...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Xray, some notes before I head out your door for this time. The plumber is here. (Having taken a look at the problem going 'How the hell am I going to fix that?' - 'I don't know. That's why you are the plumber not me.')

I left a little 'gift' for you guys on the living room table. (Not to worry, I'm not Scottish so it's not that.)

I was going through this thread to look at the photos, and I came across this post, and I just had to mention how odd this post was. You see, the plumber really was in our apartment right then! As was Iceman. And there was steam leaking into our bathroom floor from a break in the pipe between the first and second floors of our building.

Ah, memories.

Archived