Heroes

EHK for Darwin

:lol:

Word. There are lots of things that make no sense, but my expectations on that front are virtually zero at this point. I just don't think about it while I'm watching, it's impossible to do otherwise and keep watching this show.

I thought this was the best episode of the season, probably because I literally expect one thing: Make shit happen. As long as things move on, I'm OK.

Mostly, I'm ok with this season because DL isn't in it. That dude was a serious dead weight.

I remain hopeful it will pick up. The show also seriously sucked at the beginning of season 1, after all. If things start coming together, this season could still be good.

Should be DEAD weight:

Alejandro (I keep the other twin alive only because of the possible Mylar dynamic, which could be interesting)

West

Monica

Micah

Nikki

On the Bubble:

Peter (If he keeps channeling Keanu Reeves instead of being the quintessential badass that he should be, Drop him)

Clare (Sure she's hot and brings in the 13 year old boy demographic, but if her storyline is never gonna expand beyond "Dawson's- latest take on bad John Hughes film cliches-Creek" shit...than drop her.)

About the only ones I can think of for now. I think everyone else is safe. You might say add Mohinder for his continually dumb decision-making and horrid voiceovers...but I'd say that's part of his charm. Every show needs a village idiot.

DL features in the next episode. I like the actor, but I don't think they really gave him much to work with.

I found West incredibly insufferable to begin with, but they've managed to only make him mildly annoying.

Monica's accent I could do without, but that's a cool power she's got. And hey, if it gives us more Nichelle Nichols, that's all right.

And Alejandro ... well, I'm afraid the writers looked at telenovelas for the dialogue for the twins. That said, I've heard an interesting theory about Alejandro's power -- that he can nullify the powers of any hero, not just his sister's -- which could be pretty neat. Though it reminds me of the fact that the Haitian is able to block certain sorts of powers, and we still don't have a really good sense of how that works.

This is interesting. Apparently the creator knows how dissatisfied the fans are with season 2 and promises to tighten things up:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20158840,00.html

That is really encouraging - and I agree with everything he said. Especially about Hiro being in medieval Japan for too long (I couldn't believe how dull it got) and the Claire/Flying Dude-Hiro/Yaeko romances (which were just way too cheesy, especially for this show).

Monica and Claire's boyfriend just seem tacked on for no reason. I didn't think Season Two would need many new characters. Alejandro and Maya are very interesting to me, though, and I also love the plotline concerning the previous generation.

I wonder if they'll rewrite and reshoot the next couple episodes.

Logic. He remembered Hiro because he decided to make the "I'm about to shit my pants in 3 seconds" face that Hiro does before trying to use Hiro's power. I don't know about you but if I could time travel my first thought on how to activate the power would not be to try and squeeze a turtlehead out.

Secondly, he is in Montreal; not Tibet, the Sahara, or the mountains in Peru, he can find a website about the Nakamura (sp?) company in about 3 seconds at an internet cafe. Why would he not try and contact him? He has a pressing issue that he needs to get to a year in the future, it will wait.

I think if I thought I could time travel closing my eyes and trying very hard (as Peter did) would be the first thing I'd try. I don't see any need for Peter to have remembered Hiro at all. IIRC, Peter still doesn't remember any of his past apart from who his mother is when he gets back, so I don't see why he would have remembered anything about Hiro. The name Nakamura has been mentioned to him, so I guess he could look it up on the internet, but Nakamura isn't exactly a unique name...and as you say, it can wait. He'll still be able to jump to the same point in time in a few days, anyway, as long as some event doesn't suddenly change the future timeline.

Sir Thursday

It's good that he's at least aware of these things. However, I can't help but think: Shouldn't these be fucking obvious before practically every fan complains about the same issues? Look at the "problems" he has identified:

THE PACE IS TOO SLOW

THE WORLD-SAVING STAKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED SOONER

THE ROOKIES DIDN'T GREET THEMSELVES PROPERLY

HIRO WAS IN JAPAN WAY TOO LONG

YOUNG LOVE STINKS

Um, yeah, now you realize these might be problems? These things are written somewhat in advance, right? It's not like they shot the first episode and then think: "What are we doing for next week?" Doesn't anybody looks at the plan/scripts for the first say 5-6 episodes and notice these things? All are extremely obvious when you see it on screen, wasn't it obvious when read from a script. Aren't these writers/producers/show runners whatever supposed to notice these things? How come nobody says "Guys, this is the 4th time in 3 episodes we are pulling the exact same thing with the crying twins. Does that make sense to you?"

When he says obvious things like:

Hiro's (Masi Oka) time-bending adventure in 17th-century Japan — where he mentored samurai hero Takezo Kensei (David Anders) — finally came to an end on Nov. 5. But Kring says it ''should have [lasted] three episodes. We didn't give the audience enough story to justify the time we allotted it.''

it almost makes me angry. Also I don't know what to think of this:

''We assumed the audience wanted season 1 — a buildup of intrigue about these characters and the discovery of their powers. We taught [them] to expect a certain kind of storytelling. They wanted adrenaline. We made a mistake.''

For some reason, this rubs me the wrong way. Maybe the way he puts it (or maybe because I'm sleep deprived and cranky at the moment). And don't get me started about teaching the audience. You taught me what, asshole?

It's good that he's at least aware of these things. However, I can't help but think: Shouldn't these be fucking obvious before practically every fan complains about the same issues?

I think you're being too hard on Kring, considering that there are hundreds of popular shows that have even worse problems and are happily oblivious of it. Grey's Anatomy is one of the most popular shows around, and it's nothing but melodrama, flat characters and fan service. Do you see them doing anything about it?

Well, we got the flashback episode, and while it filled in some gaps...eh.

I'm still confused about Nikki's power. Obviously her "power" is super strength/fighting - but is the multiple personalities part of the power, or just regular old split personality? DL's death was a lot of buildup for a quick resolution.

Maya and Alejandro - you'd think he'd be a little more pissed that his sister just killed his wife and the entire wedding party.

Elle - well, I'm not sure if Bob is the "daddy" she was talking to on the phone a few episodes ago. She's certainly a piece of work, but in their scenes together, Bob didn't act very fatherly towards her.

Peter getting locked in the shipping container. What was the Haitian thinking? How did he have any idea where that container was going, or how long it would take to get there. Peter had no food or water in there (although maybe his healing power prevents that). And that doesn't explain why the Irish guys were waiting for the container to be delivered (albeit they were looking for drugs or something).

When are we going to find out Mama Petrelli's power? I was sure she was going to be the one to heal Nathan. Oh well.

Adam/Kenzai is shaping up to be an interesting character. Will we get a showdown between him and Sylar as to who the "real" villain is? Maybe this will be how Sylar gets a healing power - that way they don't have to kill off Claire. Is Adam really a villain? Maybe he's learned to become the noble hero that Hiro wanted him to be. Yeah, I doubt it too.

That episode was terrible.

SPOILER: poo

Tons more clumsy exposition. If this is how they wanted to deliver this info, they could have just posted a summary on the website & it would have been as dramatic.

The entire DL/Micah/Nikki triad is an incredible life-suck. Aside from their inclusion being totally arbitrary.

The electric shock girl is plain annoying.

And Alejandro/Maya... Oy. Repeating the same scene in different settings (The jungle! The desert! In prison! A wedding! A church!) is painful.

This show is well on its way to ending up beside Battlestar Galactica in the "I used to watch that" dustbin.

Haven't watched the latest episode yet but caught up on last week's.

OMMFG! You mean Kensei is still alive in the modern day? Holy crap, that's a plot twist I never saw coming!

[/sarcasm]

Sort it out, Kring & Company. At the moment HRG's re-emerging ruthless streak is becoming the only truly satisfying plotline in the whole show. Hopefully the strike will at least give them time to think up some better ideas for the second half of the season.

When are we going to find out Mama Petrelli's power? I was sure she was going to be the one to heal Nathan. Oh well.

I think it's some kind of suggestion ability that requires her to touch the person she is trying to affect. There were lot's of shots of her touching Heidi when she convinced her not to talk about anything Nathan had told her, and I recall at least one similar scene with Nathan last year when she talked him into going along with the plan to blow up the city.

That episode was terrible.

I was going to say that I didn't think the episode was that bad, but then I realised that I had fast forwarded through most of the DL/Nicki and Maya/Alejandro stuff.;) Without this, it was alright, though clearly an episode similar to this one plus maybe two or so to introduce new characters, resolve Hiro's cliffhanger from last year and introduce the new story arc should have been the start of the season. There has really been an awful lot of filler.

Some of it was pretty good. I just don't know how important the back story for the Wonderless Twins was or why it was necessary to give Nikki a seperate motivation for going to the Company. DL was dead, man. Either way. He didn't need to come back. Then the whole part with the cousins at the wake, I got the impression when Nikki had dropped Micah off he didn't know who they were at all...but at least the Peter stuff wasn't TOO bad (if a bit clumsy) and you gotta love Kensei...

The bit with the Haitian and Peter's split from Adam smells of a set up though. I mean, the Haitian's necklace is Kensei's symbol, right...?

OMMFG! You mean Kensei is still alive in the modern day? Holy crap, that's a plot twist I never saw coming!

No kidding! And I was wondering why they spent all that time, week after week, with the bloated storyline of Hiro in Japan. It all makes sense now. :rolleyes:

At least the episode cleared up once and for all that Kensei is NOT Mr Petrelli Sr. When Peter walks through the wall and meets Adam for the first time, he does not say "Dad!".

I was sure I read somewhere that we were going to see how Sylar escaped from the plaza at the end of series 1. So I was a little disappointed that we did not see any of that storyline.

I would say that definitely Mrs Petrelli's power is the power of suggestion - one step down from the power of command that we saw in the chick who killed herself last year rather than let Sylar get his hands (mind?) on her power.

Mopre dodgy science as well. "Let's inject my blood into your brother and heal him!". Plus Electro-girl's power seems to vary according to the needs of the moment; one day she can knock Peter out, the next all it does is set his shirt on fire.

So all in all, this episode seemed on a par with the rest of the series 2 ones ie not particularly good.

Aratan

I think it's some kind of suggestion ability that requires her to touch the person she is trying to affect. There were lot's of shots of her touching Heidi when she convinced her not to talk about anything Nathan had told her, and I recall at least one similar scene with Nathan last year when she talked him into going along with the plan to blow up the city.

If that's it, well... Pretty wimpy.

Does Bob have a power?

I was sure I read somewhere that we were going to see how Sylar escaped from the plaza at the end of series 1. So I was a little disappointed that we did not see any of that storyline.

In fact, the promos for the show had them saying "what happened to Sylar?!?!" I'd forgotten about that - yeah they dropped the ball there.

I said a week or two ago that most of the necessary questions were already answered and I didn't really think they had enough material to justify a flashback episode. I think I was right. The twins 'origin' was completely pointless since their beginnings are EXACTLY the same as their 'Middle' that we've been watching for the past 7 weeks. We can infer that they initially had no answers or control and accidentally killed a bunch of people. We absolutely did not need to see it. They'd be better served cutting out the 4 month gap if they wanted to show that shit.

And if you're gonna make DL's death random and pointless...do that shit as part of a regular episode. Shock the hell out of people. But if you're gonna install the 4 month gap and let us know right off that he's dead...its a bit underwhelming to have the only real 'unanswered question' in the flashback episode be 'random guy at a bar did it'. (And seriously, who's gonna shoot a guy over a cockblock? Maybe get into a fight that escalates to that, but to come up to him when it was all done Jack Ruby style? WTF?) We didn't need more justification for Nikki entering the program, we can infer that she thought she was a danger to Micah without DL there. More than enough from last season to make that a reasonable conclusion.

Adam and Peter were the only 'necessary and interesting' parts of this flashback. But I figured talking to eachother for a few months they'd get into some more serious game-planning than 'hey lets save your brother and save the world'....save it from what exactly? Maybe Adam could share some company details that he thought necessary to drag Peter along. And really, I thought we left the naive sap Peter in season 1. How the hell could he not infer that he was in a prison? You'd think electroshock girl or the spartan accommodations might have been a clue. And sure he thinks he's dangerous, but he knows enough about 'the Company' to not welcome their 'protection' with open arms.

They had more than enough time to lay a better foundation for this since the rest of the episode was largely pointless. Dropped the ball...again.

Archived