Heroes

EHK for Darwin

Y'know, watching Journeyman, which airs after Heroes, I'm struck by how at least in that show, people actually react to situations at least sort of like a real person might, whereas in Heroes, everybody seems to be the clumsy puppets of a series of lame plot twists.

This sums it up quite well I think. This is at the very root of most of the major problems throughout the run of the show. And when people aren't doing or saying outright stupid shit that no self-respecting human being would ever say/do in that situation, they move things along with a whole host of unexplained, cosmic fucking coincidences. (Sylar in the middle of the road anyone?)

And the real bitch of it is, its not that hard to do this shit. Maybe the big pictures and smaller ideas themselves take some creativity, but how can you not look at it when you're done and say 'this action/reaction doesn't make alot of sense. We need him to get from point A (not necessarily a location, could be a character development or decision) to point B...how do we do that in a way that makes sense?'

A fairly educated, literate fan could polish this shit up pretty well in ways that make more sense.

Also, I'm not seeing anything particularly "fun" about this episode. If you want an actual fun episode, you could watch "Five Years Gone", which was fun because half the cast died, Sylar was president, Parkman was a bad-ass, and lots of crazy shit went down. This was just boring.

Peter was competent and pretty badass for two scenes last night...much like the possible future ep. I can understand that having Peter be intelligent in the use of his powers breaks pretty much any possibility of having a story that doesn't entirely revolve around him (mostly due to Hiro's ridiculous power), but the amnesia route was awful.

At least sets, effects and photography continue to be good ;) Acting, writing...ack.

Here's a good couple of questions about Peter's powers.

1. Does he need to see it used to steal it, or is it just enough to be in the room with it? He's theoretically got Bob's power, but he hasn't changed anything to gold. On the flip side, the Haitian was negating his power to absorb powers when in Bob's office, but when they were just chatting, could Peter have taken it?

2. If he steals a power, does he get it "as is" or will it develop for him like it would for it's original holder. He's got Parkman's power, but can he trap people in nightmares, since this is something Parkman learned to do after encountering Peter? And can he grow a beard quickly now?

Biggest mystery yet...when Elle was cutting Peter's hair...why didn't it grow back?

Ponder that.

Because hair loss is normally replaced by the body growing more hair. The regenerative powers didn't kick in because it's not fatal or unusual for the body to lose hair in this manner.

Or at least that's what I'd say if I was the writer looking for a BS explanation for it.

:leaving:

Biggest mystery yet...when Elle was cutting Peter's hair...why didn't it grow back?

Peter's powers temporarily went on strike because his former haircut was INCREDIBLY gay. The cut was probably the single best decision the show-runners have made this season.

1. Does he need to see it used to steal it, or is it just enough to be in the room with it? He's theoretically got Bob's power, but he hasn't changed anything to gold. On the flip side, the Haitian was negating his power to absorb powers when in Bob's office, but when they were just chatting, could Peter have taken it?

I would say he just absorbs it when the source is close. When he was hurt fighting Sylar the first time (trying to save Claire), he just regenerated, without seeing (or even knowing) Claire could do it.

I've enjoyed almost every second of this series that I've watched but last night was a bit too much for me. There were some really good parts but there were some really bad parts. Unfortunate and I hope the remaining three(?) episodes can take the bad taste out of my mouth.

2. If he steals a power, does he get it "as is" or will it develop for him like it would for it's original holder. He's got Parkman's power, but can he trap people in nightmares, since this is something Parkman learned to do after encountering Peter? And can he grow a beard quickly now?

I don't recall him ever seeing DL use his powers. That would not explain how he knew he could walk through walls.

I just read through all the new posts, and I now have a few random things to add.

Peter should have gotten Micah's powers at the same time he got DL's. How he knew he could walk through walls is a mystery.

Bob was lying about Linderman being a disciple of Adam's but still being imprisoned for some reason. Linderman ran the company; it makes no sense. Bob is working with Adam; they set up Peter next door just to start another destroy/save the world plan. The Haitian tried to stop them by wiping Peter's mind. Parkman's dad was trying to stop them, and Nakamura was starting to lean that way, so they got taken out. Parkman's dad targeted the people he knew were in on the bomb plot like Bob and Angela Petrelli, and he didn't do so until after his ally Nakamura's death. If Maury Parkman was the weapon of Adam, mentor of Linderman, Maury shouldn't have gone after Angela Petrelli, a woman who supported Linderman's bomb plot.

Nikki's split personality is not a normal split personality. They even flat-out said so in the when that psychologist tried hypnotizing her back in season one. Has to be related to her power.

I now feel more sure than ever that they shouldn't have introduced Maya and Alejandro before Alejandro tried stealing the car and got taken to the prison. Before that, they were useless. Maya freeing him by making people sick, Alejandro absorbing the sickness, the wanted poster, taking the car and running into Sylar - all the information we needed about them in one quick burst.

Okay, yes, there must be some reason for all those ham-handed touching shots in that scene, so that must be it. And that was just a terrible scene all around, really.

Yes, Julian Sark is, as far as I know, really the only substantial role that David Anders has ever done before this whole Adam/Kensei thing, and he's basically playing Sark now, i.e. sympathetic, charming bad guy who's probably sleeping with your wife, etc.

Yah. I think that Anders was barely in his 20s when he landed the Sark gig. He was always just about the best villian on Alias. It's good to have him back.

I now feel more sure than ever that they shouldn't have introduced Maya and Alejandro before Alejandro tried stealing the car and got taken to the prison. Before that, they were useless. Maya freeing him by making people sick, Alejandro absorbing the sickness, the wanted poster, taking the car and running into Sylar - all the information we needed about them in one quick burst.

I agree 100%

Other issues (admittedly not new ideas):

Peter needs to get a clue. How could it take anyone in those cicumstances MONTHS to figure out that he's in prison?!?

DL really should have died in the season 1 finale. Being shot again was so pointless.

Bob was lying about Linderman being a disciple of Adam's but still being imprisoned for some reason. Linderman ran the company; it makes no sense. Bob is working with Adam; they set up Peter next door just to start another destroy/save the world plan. The Haitian tried to stop them by wiping Peter's mind. Parkman's dad was trying to stop them, and Nakamura was starting to lean that way, so they got taken out. Parkman's dad targeted the people he knew were in on the bomb plot like Bob and Angela Petrelli, and he didn't do so until after his ally Nakamura's death. If Maury Parkman was the weapon of Adam, mentor of Linderman, Maury shouldn't have gone after Angela Petrelli, a woman who supported Linderman's bomb plot.

That makes sense, and it actually wouldn't be a bad twist, having Maury as the good guy working against Adam. However, Nakamura and Angela Petrelli both got the same "picture with the sign thingy", no? If that can be explained away, I like this theory.

Nikki's split personality is not a normal split personality. They even flat-out said so in the when that psychologist tried hypnotizing her back in season one. Has to be related to her power.

Bob said something to the effect of, "when some people get their powers it results in a split personality." He could have been trying to make Nikki think that meant only the Company could help her or it could be the truth. It's hard to tell whether anything he says is truth or lies.

This spoiler is potentially a biggie...consider yourself warned...

SPOILER: Spoiler image from future (season finale?) episode

Here's an image from the episode "Powerless", which I think is the last one they've filmed. So it could be the season finale, depending on the writers strike. Anyway, it looks like Claire is crying, holding an urn, about to spread ashes. Behind her, in the distance it looks like her mom and brother(holding Mr. Muggles) and West. Kind of a strong indication that Bennett dies. Of course, this could be a future that ends up getting changed, or something like that, but still...an interesting photo.

That makes sense, and it actually wouldn't be a bad twist, having Maury as the good guy working against Adam. However, Nakamura and Angela Petrelli both got the same "picture with the sign thingy", no? If that can be explained away, I like this theory.

And there was also a shot of a Bob picture with Kensai's symbol on it. I don't think we know for sure that Linderman was running the company.

SPOILER: what happens to the original 12

There is a spoiler out there that all the original 12 but Mama Petrelli die. I always thought Bob would not, but Parkman supposedly tracks them all down and they are all dead. So it looks like Adam is trying to kill off all the original 12 and did use Maury to help him do it.

SPOILER: the picture

I think it's faked (HRG's death). I don't think they can kill him off without ruining the series. And we get the preview of Claire getting injected by Bob? So I think Claire knows her blood can cure, so she will heal HRG when he is shot by Mohinder. But they will fake the death so he can escape the company. I just wanted to get my theory in here before Jaxom does :)

Archived