Heroes

EHK for Darwin

SPOILER: Sylar
Sylar is sitting in an alley-way and injects himself with the blood he stole from Mohinder. You see all his various cuts and wounds close up, then he succeeds in using his telekinesis to pull a can from the dumpster across the way. All while being rather sinister, as usual.

And it was a can of spinach as well - a nod to Popeye's superstrength maybe?

Aratan

A few thoughts:

-Nikki, like DL, should have died back in the season 1 finale. Both deaths this season were pointless, and should have added some much needed impact to last season's end if they'd killed them off then. Micah could have been sent to grandma Uhura, whose character should have been able to do something (anything!). Cousin Monica should not exist at all, as she has proven herself to be a helpless Mary Sue.

-The wondertwins could have been interesting if their introduction hadn't been so darn clumsy and repetitive. Adding Sylar helped a lot, but it was too little, too late. I wish Maya had stayed dead tonight, really. The superblood angle is taking all impact away from any death scenes.

-Nathan won't stay dead, imo. See superblood complaint.

-Am I the only one who didn't like what Hiro did to Adam in the end? Hiro should have killed him properly. Let's face it, Adam won't stay trapped forever! He may have to wait a few hundred years for an earthquake to shift the earth (or something crazy), but he'll get free eventually.

Well, that's that then, for the time being.

- I would say almost certainly that HRG is the guy who shot Nathan; he is working for the Company again as part of a bargain to leave Claire and his family alone. Nathan will not stay dead.

- liked the scene with Nathan and Parkman arriving in Texas - Matt hating flying, Nathan's back killing him after carrying Parkman so far.

- weren't we supposed to find out that Bob had some other power, other than turning things into gold?

- Volume 3 is called "Villains". To me that means that Adam will be back, along with Sylar, although not necessarily working together.

Aratan

Damn, I'm starting to feel dumb. Looks like I was the only one who was surprised when Nathan got shot.

But hey, I counted Maya and Nikki! That is two. :P

Nah. Maybe I was trying to hard to focus on the show in general, but I counted Maya as one of two, seeing as that's the Modus Operandi of network television shows like Heroes these days. So I was caught a bit off guard by Nathan getting shot. As a whole, I thought the ending was enough of a set-up for whenever we come back. I think there is the possibilty of some strong stories, if the writing team has the will.

Maya and her power being a red herring with the spread of the virus was very badly played the whole season. Then again, maybe the Shanti virus was meant to be the mcguffin and Maya will play a larger role in destroying the world later on...

And how have we discussed Mama Petrelli so often before and not thought about her actually being the "big bad" over all? Especially with her supposed power of persuasion...

--Micah/Nikki/Monica: Still pointless. But thankfully short. And it got rid of one of the more needless and somewhat annoying characters. Win/win for what it was.

When they jumped back to the last scene where Nikki goes into the building, I actually looked at Mrs. Jax and said, "I'd totally forgotten they'd started with that this episode. I forgot all about those characters." :lol:

I am in the "Bennett killed Nathan" camp. Of course, Nathan is in proximity of someone with magic blood as the episode ends, so it can be reversed if necessary.

Neither Peter's (nor the writers') mind works like that. You know, thinking. I suspect that Nathan's dead as a doornail and by the time Peter thinks about using his blood, it'll be three weeks too late, he'll have his bangs grown out again and go all emo on us.

Plus, they could cop out with there being something about Peter's power that let's the healing work for him, but since he's second hand (it isn't his original power), it doesn't work quite the same way on other people like if it came from Kensei or Claire.

ETA: Hiro cutting off Kensei's head - Does he know that this is supposedly the way to kill him?

And how have we discussed Mama Petrelli so often before and not thought about her actually being the "big bad" over all? Especially with her supposed power of persuasion...

I've been saying Maury Parkman: misunderstood good guy and Angela Petrelli: mad genius for awhile now. Her husband committed suicided thanks to depression with delusions of grandeur - yeah, right. She said the same thing about Peter and then Nathan, we know how honest she was then. She was firmly in Linderman's bomb camp. She knew where Kaito Nakamura was, that he was turning against the Company, and that he was leaving for Japan soon; a few hours later he was killed. Adam's been in prison for the thirty+ years since he tried to steal the virus, since before Pratt changed her name and left the Company, but he knows her current address.

There are other explanations, but I like the theory that Mama Petrelli's behind all of this best, even if it is a little GUCT.

About Elle not killing Sylar... maybe her "electricity blasts" take a while to fully "recharge," and her high-powered killing shot was her first, which missed, and the others were progressively lower in power, resulting in Sylar just being shocked instead of dead when she finally did hit.

All in all, I loved the ep. I'd have been happier if Maya had died, ridding us of both Snooze Twins, and Nathan had lived, but so be it. When Nathan and Peter oh-so touchingly hugged just before the press conference, I knew one of them was about to bite the dust.

Good riddance to Nikki. And I look forward to learning who else beside Sylar is next season's titular villain(s).

- liked the scene with Nathan and Parkman arriving in Texas - Matt hating flying, Nathan's back killing him after carrying Parkman so far.

Aratan

That was a great moment, imo. Then poor Nathan is trying to work the kinks out of his back, looks up, and is greeted by Hiro's excited "FLYING MAN!", lol. Nathan looked like he'd really had enough at that point--and the actual fight hadn't even happened yet!

ETA: BTW, it was nice to see characters actually communicating and interacting so much in this episode. When Nathan, Matt, Hiro and (eventually) Peter were all talking and working together, it felt so overdue.

Also, Hiro should have known to behead Adam, imo. He's a geek, and has read enough comics to know that villians don't stay dead! He should have beheaded Adam and had Nathan deposit the head into the biggest volcano possible.

That would be interesting as hell. Though I'd be curious how he got from California to Texas so quickly.

Kind of like how Elle got from California to NYC so fast. ;)

I enjoyed the episode as much as the rest of the season. No more, no less. The critical build never happened, but the ending was a bit more statisfying that the Plaza scene last May. Adam's incarceration was great. Parkman trying to use his new control power on Peter was funny. Mrs. Petrelli continues to be interesting. Mohinder's response to learning Sylar had no powers.

Sure there were plot holes, but still better than watching CSI SVU Anchorage.

Kind of like how Elle got from California to NYC so fast. ;)

She was at the company. I assumed the company was in NY. They got Peter captured fairly quickly, they were at the hospital with Nathan in NY fairly quickly and Mohinder's lab is Isaac's apartment in NY.

Magic blood - another thing they casually overuse

Bob's password = midas: well that's clever, hasn't he ever heard of password strength?

Peter and Parkman talking to each other with their minds seemed like some stupid Saturday Night Live skit. I was waiting for them to start saying things like "Hey, this is pretty cool, we can speak with our minds." Laughable.

Burying Adam. Cool? No, stupid, because since everything else is stupid I refuse to make a positive comment.

Sylar smirking evilly at the end. Why didn't they just make him say "Mwahahaha"? Jesus, these are the least creative people I've ever seen in my life. (Although to be fair, that might have been NBC who came in to tack that scene on)

Oh, and Nathan will stay dead because the writers of Heroes embrace inconsistency. They should actually just turn it into a parody of itself, because that's what it's unintentionally become. Might as well go with it.

This goes down in history as the classic template for how to lose a dedicated viewer in 11 episodes. I'd say that I'd give it another shot if I hear good things when it comes back, but I don't see how you can write yourself out of the fucking quagmire of inconsistensies and boundless powers only used to when convenient to move forward lame, recycled plots (recycled in the 2nd season ffs), and retarded characters and motivations that aren't developed beyond pancake flat cliches.

Magic blood - another thing they casually overuse

Bob's password = midas: well that's clever, hasn't he ever heard of password strength?

Peter and Parkman talking to each other with their minds seemed like some stupid Saturday Night Live skit. I was waiting for them to start saying things like "Hey, this is pretty cool, we can speak with our minds." Laughable.

Burying Adam. Cool? No, stupid, because since everything else is stupid I refuse to make a positive comment.

Sylar smirking evilly at the end. Why didn't they just make him say "Mwahahaha"? Jesus, these are the least creative people I've ever seen in my life. (Although to be fair, that might have been NBC who came in to tack that scene on)

Oh, and Nathan will stay dead because the writers of Heroes embrace inconsistency. They should actually just turn it into a parody of itself, because that's what it's unintentionally become. Might as well go with it.

This goes down in history as the classic template for how to lose a dedicated viewer in 11 episodes. I'd say that I'd give it another shot if I hear good things when it comes back, but I don't see how you can write yourself out of the fucking quagmire of inconsistensies and boundless powers only used to when convenient to move forward lame, recycled plots (recycled in the 2nd season ffs), and retarded characters and motivations that aren't developed beyond pancake flat cliches.

But apart from that you liked it, right?

Aratan

She was at the company. I assumed the company was in NY. They got Peter captured fairly quickly, they were at the hospital with Nathan in NY fairly quickly and Mohinder's lab is Isaac's apartment in NY.

They were in NY. I wondered too, until I heard Mohinder say something about being in NY. At least I think it was Mohinder. It might have been Elle or Bob. Someone said it. :P

Archived