NFL VI

Kalbear

I thought of the Steelers in 2005, but they had a gritty running game (Parker far more than Bettis) and a very able QB (who has since hit the skids) and the SB MVP that season. So their D, while very good, was not exactly carrying that team. Also, the Steelers had been making the playoffs since 2001 so they also do not fit the mold there.

Just a side note, Benjamin hit the skids last year. He's actually got the second best QB rating in the league this year to Brady's magnificence. So he looks to be alot better but who really knows.

My take on Kalbear's question about why good defenses tend to vary more year to year than offenses is because of injury. Take the Colts very good offense for like the last 8-9 years. Peyton Manning has also played every game that mattered. If you have a great QB who doesn't get hurt then things are bound to be far more stable as QB is *by far* the most important offensive position. Defense however has no clear cut most important part, the MLB is supposed to be the QB of the defense but any MLB is shit unless his DT's keep him clean. D-lineman don't cover (for the most part) and the DB's aren't asked to do too much with the Tampa 2 currently being en vogue. So when theres a rash of injuries on D it can kill you, whereas with a rash of injuries on O but not the QB you can still be functional.

I hate them because their QB is literally the father of Satan and heralds the apocalypse.

No, he's right, our QB's loins are the source of Beelzebub, Belial, the Prince of Darkness, Satan. There is no two ways about it.

Again, I think great defenses are still somewhat sustainable. Again, the 2001 Bucs were still around to be the 2002 Superbowl Champion Bucs (and their defense had been good for years); the 2001 Patriots eventually stayed healthy long enough to be the 2003-2004 three-time SB champs. The ravens have been a perenial playoff team since 2000. And as I stated, some offenses fall as quickly as they rise- the 1999 Rams, the 2006 Saints, the 2002 Raiders.

.....THE PATRIOTS ARE OVERRATED, TOM BRADY IS OVERRATED, RANDY MOSS IS OVERRATED(should still be on vikes). Don't get me starterd about the Patriots they will make it to the playoffs they will not make it to the Super Bowl I mean really colts were missing Marvin Harrison so get over it Pats Fans!

Luckily, ol' Marvin Harrison will be back in plenty time to take his traditional playoff swan dive.

Adrian Peterson is amazing, or, he had an amazing game, or whatever, but he's the whole offense.

Don't expect him to rush for 300 every week.

As the Vikings grow and develop they'll become a good team and AP will be their centerpiece but until then I don't think they're going to be very good.

I am not sure whether the mustache is just a bad coach or the team is in shambles from when Tice was there.

Should I say his name?? yes here is this forums only vikings fan ADRIAN PETERSON breaks the single rushing game record in only his 8th nfl regular season game hes insane. No doubt about the best draft choice of this last draft. I know it will be hard for us to make the playoffs, but B2(Brooks Bollinger) gets his first start in Minnesota this week hes been a great filler so far this year with 21-28 189 yards and a touchdown. We'll see I guess.

He's PURPLE JESUS!

Just a nitpick about the couple of comments I've seen about the Ravens being a perennial playoff team since 2000. They actually weren't in the playoffs in 2002, 2004, or 2005.

Just to add to the discussion about the Steelers defense: It usually seems like when things are going good, the defense is credited with being better than it really is. The history and reputation adds to it, but we're not going to see the 70's again. There's usually some weakness or other just waiting to be exploited. Hell, I'm slightly worried about, gulp, Cleveland's offense this weekend. If we don't put up 21 points in the first quarter, it could be a tight game.

Just a nitpick about the couple of comments I've seen about the Ravens being a perennial playoff team since 2000. They actually weren't in the playoffs in 2002, 2004, or 2005.

Just to add to the discussion about the Steelers defense: It usually seems like when things are going good, the defense is credited with being better than it really is. The history and reputation adds to it, but we're not going to see the 70's again. There's usually some weakness or other just waiting to be exploited.

True. Generally in recent memory that weakness has been the secondary.

Hell, I'm slightly worried about, gulp, Cleveland's offense this weekend. If we don't put up 21 points in the first quarter, it could be a tight game.

yeah, it's hard to say which steeler team is going to show up on any given week this year. I think they have the potential to compete with anyone and should beat anyone bu the colts and Pats. But some games it seems they just don't even put out the effort.

What do you mean the Vikings arn't a great team one of the best rushing defenses THE BEST RUSHING OFFENSE in the NFL. In plus if our secondary gets good again like they were against the Chargers we could be a playoff threat and you want to know the funny. Other teams know Adrian Peterson is getting the ball almost every play I mean we only average 19 pass attempts a game. And yet Adrian Peterson still runs and gets good blocks and breaks tons of tackles and make the big play. Just letting everyone know were probably looking at the best running back ever to play football. Wait in 3 years his name will be everywhere it almost already is. He got more votes than LT and the only 2 players that got ahead of him were Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. BTW this was for who would you want to be the centerpiece of your franchise. Adrian Peterson was #3 and hes a ROOKIE!!!!!!!!

What do you mean the Vikings arn't a great team one of the best rushing defenses THE BEST RUSHING OFFENSE in the NFL. In plus if our secondary gets good again like they were against the Chargers we could be a playoff threat and you want to know the funny. Other teams know Adrian Peterson is getting the ball almost every play I mean we only average 19 pass attempts a game. And yet Adrian Peterson still runs and gets good blocks and breaks tons of tackles and make the big play. Just letting everyone know were probably looking at the best running back ever to play football. Wait in 3 years his name will be everywhere it almost already is. He got more votes than LT and the only 2 players that got ahead of him were Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. BTW this was for who would you want to be the centerpiece of your franchise. Adrian Peterson was #3 and hes a ROOKIE!!!!!!!!

Drink less.

BTW this was for who would you want to be the centerpiece of your franchise. Adrian Peterson was #3 and hes a ROOKIE!!!!!!!!

He's going to get injured next game. I say this not out of malice or jealousy. I say it because that's what has happened to Adrian Peterson throughout his college career.

I like Peterson, but that running style of his is going to get him in trouble. He reminds me of a faster, more nimble Eddie George. If he doesn't get low, he's looking at an injury plagued career. That's when we'll get to factor in his "toughness" as a part of the equation. Then again, he might be another Dickerson. Either way, I will be shocked if he doesn't have an injury plagued/shortened career.

Oh yeah, and FEAR the Browns!

13-3

Superbowl

The D is a little shaky- maybe 12-4. ;)

edit: figured I better add a smiley for the crackheads.

Okay, so I'm jumping into the midst of an intimidating thread, seeing as how my knowledge of football is, shall we say, limited, but I just have to pipe up with a hesitant voice and ask:

How 'bout them Lions?

Seriously. Seems like everyone was projecting them to be the cellar-dwellers of an already-weak division, and after Week 9, they sit at 6-2, looking more like a playoff team than they have for the past lifetime, it almost seems.

For their upcoming games they have:

Week 10: At Arizona (3-5) - imminently winnable

Week 11: NY Giants (6-2 and running hot) - should be a very good game and help shape the NFC playoff race. But the Lions are tough at home, and can certainly win this.

Week 12: Green Bay (7-1) - I submit that it won't get any better than this. Thanksgiving day matchup, Green Bay at Detroit when the two teams are fighting for the division lead.

Week 13: At Minnesota (3-5). The Vikes are better than their record, sure, and AP is for real, no doubt, but this is still a pretty porous team. Very winnable.

Week 14: Dallas (7-1). This is the toughest game in the Lions remaining schedule, but again, it's at home, and even when they've been bad, the Lions have been tough in Detroit, so I wouldn't count them out.

Week 15: At San Diego (4-4). 4-4 San Diego is leading the newly-weak AFC west. They are a dangerous but beatable team, and I don't think they'll be quite able to handle Detroit's passing game. This should be a high-scoring game, which should be in Detroit's favor.

Week 16: Kansas City (4-4). A more dangerous game than it might appear, in my opinion, as KC is not nearly as bad as they were predicted to be at season's start, but still, I have a hard time picking the Chiefs to beat Detroit at Ford Field.

Week 17: At Green Bay (7-1). Okay, so this game may actually be the toughest in the Lions remaining schedule, but I think Dallas is a much better team than Green Bay. Nevertheless this game has a pretty good chance of deciding the division. Hopefully it does not, because Green Bay is going to be tough to beat at home in the depths of Winter.

I could very easily see the Lions finishing at 12-4 and winning the division, possibly even advancing as far as the NFC Championship, which is, believe me, a very weird thing to say.

Thoughts?

Hey, I won't shit-talk the Lions. I like Kitna, despite the "God healed me" talk, and they've been entertaining this year.

The only problem with this run from the Lions is that it means Matt Millen gets to keep his job again.

RE: The Lions

With that schedule I could also see them plummeting like... something that's very familiar with the physics of plummeting. But I think they're still very much an unknown quantity. I think they'll make the playoffs.

Oh yeah, and FEAR the Browns!

13-3

Superbowl

The D is a little shaky- maybe 12-4. ;)

edit: figured I better add a smiley for the crackheads.

Well then, that should be good enough for a wildcard in the AFC North. We'll see you in the AFC Championship game, after we each dispose of those pretenders, the Pats and Colts. :P (again, for the crackheads)

The Lions have been remarkably resilient this year bouncing back from destructive losses to win the games after. Wins over the Bucs and Broncos tell me that maybe this Lions team is more physical than I gave 'em credit for.

Week 11: NY Giants (6-2 and running hot) - should be a very good game and help shape the NFC playoff race. But the Lions are tough at home, and can certainly win this.

I would be highly, highly concerned about this game. The Lions go as far as Jon Kitna can take them and it's absolutely vital he stays healthy (otherwise they bring in TGI McFridays and then all bets are off.) But this game here is going to be a huge test for that O-line. The Giants have the best pass-rushing D-line in football, Kitna's not all that mobile and I don't think Mike Martz is even passingly familiar with the Max-Protect concept. They might be able to get some big plays off 4 WR sets, but Kitna is almost guaranteed to get knocked around.

Archived