GOODKIND XXX: The Mad Moose Tackles Tairy

Myshkin

Alright Lemmings, the time is nearly at hand. Soon our very own Moosey will risk life and limb (not to mention alchohol poisoning) by once again delving into the deep dirty nether regions where Tairy abides. He does this so that you don't have to. Pray for him, and pray for us all, for if he doesn't return we are all of us doomed.

And remember the rules:

1) No flamming or personal attacks

2) No trolling or inciting others to troll on other boards

3) DO NOT FEED THE YEARD

Have fun and be careful. Stare not too long into the Yeard lest the Yeard stare back!

***SPOILERS FOR CONFESSOR THROUGHOUT***

And if that upsets you, you really shouldn't be reading this thread

Err...

Who the hell is spreading that filthy LIE that I'm going to read/review ANY Tairy book? :sick:

Pat?

:leaving:

Come on, you know you're dying to do that. ;)

Jerec, you could see it by clicking on the total number of posts the thread has. But for your sake:

The Wolf Maid 49

Jaxom 1974 42

Un-Yearded Pita 31

Noelpoke 26

Myshkin 24

The Mad Moose 18

Jerec 18

...I spend way too much time here...

Heres the posting numbers for the last thread.

Poster Posts

The Wolf Maid 49

Jaxom 1974 42

Un-Yearded Pita 31

Noelpoke 26

Myshkin 24

The Mad Moose 18

Jerec 18

Ecchi-Oni 17

whelp 15

Dylanfanatic 14

MinDonner 13

Talyn 13

Muttering Bill 10

Angus Niven 9

Brahm_K 9

ETA: Damn got beaten to it.

Well, while we're all waiting for Confessor and the Breaking of the Moose, I thought I treat everyone to a little more armchair psychology.

I've been reading through Phantom (so far it's taken me seven or eight months and still haven't quite finished it yet), and I've just reached the obligatory almost-rape scene and it suddenly occurs to me that almost-rape is quite a bit MORE perverted than actual rape - at least in a fictional setting and in regards to what it says about an author who loves to employ it.

Why the hell is Kahlan forever being almost-raped? Now, we do exaggerate about some things in our mockery of the Yeard, but not, I think, in this case. Not quite in every book, but in the vast majority, Kahlan finds herself in a horrific situation, with hideous people on the verge of being brutally raped. This is all the more odd because if there has even been a character created in the entirety of literature with a greater natural defense against rape than the confessor, I can't think who it is (unless it is Mr. Ed, but that's a whole other kettle of fish). Why does this situation keep on turning up?

Now, it has been pointed out before that Goodkind has just a hint of the voyeuristic pervert about him. The majority of the female characters in this series have been actually raped at one point or another (or at least, it is heavily implied that they have been). The major exceptions are Kahlan, Jensen, Rachael, and those sisters of the light that weren't captured by the Order. Even Richard has been raped.

So, Goodkind keeps dreaming up bizarre and improbable scenarios in order to get our plucky, young, heroine to the verge of rape, and we accept this because we know he's a little perverted and we love him for it all the same, but why then does she always get a sudden and equally improbably last minute out? It was Kahlan herself who gave me a clue at the answer. She was thinking, during this last scene, that Jegang thought it was the victim who should be ashamed of rape, and it suddenly occurred to me that, no, it was Goodkind who believes that the victim should be ashamed of rape. I think he believes that if Kahlan ever were really raped, then that would destroy her as a good and righteous character. It would be almost like killing her off, for him. His kink demands that he put his female characters into as many horrific situations as possible, but at the same time he has to protect her purity at all costs. It seems to me like he has a "mother or whore" view of women but the two are so badly twisted in on each other that they form a particularly nasty little complex. Just look at the list of women who I mentioned earlier as having avoided rape. All of them are to be seen as pure, beautiful, "good" characters. Even Jebra, who was a slave of the Order for years, avoided the worst of the situation because she was a slave to the officers so the regular recruits were scared to touch her. And the "good" characters who have been raped? Well, Nicci was evil when it happened and serving the order, Cara (and all the Morde Sith) was in a similar situation only they were serving Darken Rahl. Most of the other women are still servants of evil now, and Kahlan even thinks that sisters Ulica and Armina deserve what they get. The only good people I can think of are the nameless and faceless unknown hordes whom the imperial order descends upon. This series has a frightening amount of rape in it but it always happens to bad people or it is removed and impersonal. The only message you can really take away from the Sword of Truth is that rape is something that is done by evil people to bad people who deserve it. Good people, it seems, are always almost-raped, and Kahlan isn't then only one this has happened to. The only exception to all of this is Richard, but I guess rape reflects differently on men than it does on women - at least in Goodkind's world.

Sorry that this is so long, but every time I feel that I've caught a little insight into the mind of this author, I can't help but feel a little sad for him. He is such a very very broken person in so many ways. I think he is a person who needs our love, sympathy, support, and charity and perhaps someday he can be whole again.

I was 3rd place.

And I passed Myshkin...

My goal in life is fulfilled.

If I die tonight in a strange Isaac Asimov related accident, I will die content.

Min, I force you to change your avatar to something without a yeard yet more yeardly, and your sig to "Richard Rahl can believe it's not butter"

Now.

Archived