Ideas For Denver Worldcon

Stego

Ha.

Actually, I am pretty sure that specific characters/events are not the best choice for an all-around Con t-shirt, because we're going to have a lot of BwBers who haven't read the first Wild Cards, let alone enough who've read all the way to book 4 (I think Yag's shirt refers to book 4 anyway) to get the joke.

All that said, I'd totally buy that Kid Dinosaur t-shirt if we did a private run.

Are you kidding me? There's nothing that congoers like more than to wear a T-shirt with an in-joke on it. It makes them feel like they're one of the cool kids and they have the approval of an elite peer group.

Besides, I think it works as just a funny non-sequitur T-shirt, as well.

True. One can feasibly ease this by choosing to depict only the characters that GRRM created. Second would be to contact the creators directly for permission.

Well, if we're just going for GRRM characters, the Turtle would not be a good idea (you'd just have a giant metal sphere, which would be rather generic). How about Popinjay?

I think we're forgetting to ask one very important question. Have the Xs started mixing any new themed cocktails yet? :cheers:

Yes. Whatever leftover blue shit we have from WFC/Boskone will go into a green drink named "The Great and Powerful Turtle." ;)

(no word on if it'll be palatable, but by GAWD, I'm gonna get through all that blue curacao!)

Congrats on taking the organisation of a "BwB @ Worldcon" event on your shoulders Stego (and Xray). I'm sure you'll both do marvellous! :):thumbsup:

Wild Cards theme would be great. :) (Although just to note, we might also have a new aSoIaF book by then but that doesn't have to effect anything, except make the party even bigger). It'll be interesting to see what license we get to use the Wild Card brands as merchandise but since GRRM has already given approval to the basic idea, i'm sure we can sort something out.

T-shirts. A few people know what went wrong with them and what went right. If those people don't think it can be done successfully then we should probably drop the idea. But I would have thought t-shirts can work. (As long as we can agree on a design). I too thought it was only the red Lannister ones and the LAcon ones that failed. But again, I was never closely involved.

Regarding any raffle. On many occassions we have raised money for a raffle on the board before the con and also at the con. It might be better if we seperate the 2 and hold 2 raffles (maybe even hold the first one before the con and thus we can send the prizes before we depart if feasible). It ensures the BwB doesn't win everything at the con. Probably need somebody to just organise the raffle though. If you decide its worth holding one of course. :)

2 public parties sounds fine. In the old days we only held 1 but we have got a lot more prominent now, so probably can't get away with a private party as easily as before.

Stickers and ribbons would be a great idea too.

The timing for the knightings may only be firmly decided when we arrive at the con. It really depends on when GRRM is available. I doubt thats a problem as its a simple enough thing (if time consuming). Although the quest could be more extravagant. Giving GRRM an idea on the number of knightings before hand might be handy though. (Maybe everyone got knighted at LA. :P)

Get a big box with, let's say 200 badges, in it. 180 have "Black Queen" printed on them, 18 have "Joker" and 2 have "Ace". Pay a buck, draw one at random from the box.

That's definitely neat. :)

Might be worth thinking of hosting a "BwB meet and greet" on the opening day. We've done it before and it can be useful for non boarders to meet us groupies and see what we are planning for the con (and so know that they should bring some cash :)). GRRM will probably have a view on that too though.

I will of course help as much as I can. :wideeyed:

This is kind of random, but I have a button-making machine...like the kind that makes 1 1/4" pins that you stick on yourself, and I've been itching for a chance to use it. So when I come to Denver, I wanted to bring some BWB-themed buttons. Or maybe just bring the machine and a bunch of cutouts and let people press their own. It's a good size for sticking to bags, badges, etc without looking too dorky.

I haven't read Wildcards, so my previous idea was making them with house sigils on, but I guess there's time for me to do some research before then. Buttons are cheap to make, though--I can get material for 250 for $15 off eBay, plus whatever it costs to make color copies of a bunch of designs.

If anyone likes this idea, let me know. :)

I think I might make stickers again, super cheap. I'm thinking along the lines of...

Joker's Rights

Hartmann 2008

If we've got our theme decided, the biggest thing we've got to worry about is funding. Although I like the idea of multiple tshirt designs, that will really increase our cost. One or two designs is enormously easier. This I remember from being the president of the Classics Club as an undergrad. I also remember that the tshirt place allowed us to get multiple shirt colors but with the same design at the normal price - this may help appeal to many people, epecially if we make the colors muted hipster colors a la threadless.com. Also, the more less-specific we can make the design, the more it will appeal to a broad spectrum of people, and the fewer we will have lying around afterwards.

I also think we should find other sources of funding, namely the BwB. I know I will be extremely unpopular for saying this, but I find it perfectly reasonable to ask all BwB attendees at the party to pay 20 bucks. If you are proud of the BwB and want the party to be awesome, and you want to smooze with authors and drink the BwBs booze, it seems totally acceptable to ask our members to pay 20 bucks; thus a small number of people aren't stuck with the bill AND the labor hours. That way the T-shirt money will not be our only lifeline, but an additional source.

But that's just me.

Some excellent ideas all around. Kat, the buttons sound like fun. Rakehell, I like the mix of badges. I was thinking of doing something similar at the bar -- draw a card in order to find out what drink you're getting.

Lugalirra, I know there is usually a general request for donations for BWB parties. I see nothing wrong with stating a minimum ($20 for two days of awesome parties is a steal, anyway).

You know I'm in for whatever, Stego. T-shirts, ejecting pfanboys, bartending, &c.

:lol:

Stego -- if you start pooping blue turds, lay off the curacao, mkay?

Two by two, turds of blue.

Oh man. I love wild cards. So many possible ideas. Since I'm a fan of the jetboy era, I'd love to make or see a tshirt that was the front page of the New York Times on the day after the Wild Card virus fell, with all the various headlines:

ALIEN VIRUS RELEASED OVER NEW YORK

10,000 dead and 1000s missing

Manhatten under martial law

Jetboy's plane explodes; hero feared dead

That might be a cool advert for the party, newspaper-like fliers to hand out beforehand, something like that.

We could also pass out ads for the various Ace and Joker restraunts and bars as fliers for the party, like 'Aces High' with a posh pic of a sky scraper with a neon sign on top, then with the details of the BwB party below.

Okay, I'm totally getting ahead of myself. I just can't help geeking out over a party nearly a year away :)

Instead of the idea of the Black Queen badge (which I think not a lot of people are going to understand), I'm reminded of the Chicago bid party at Glasgow in which everyone who came in got a funny name tag to wear.

What about name tags to hand out indicating something like, "Power: Sticks to Utensils" or "Power: Playing World's Smallest Violin"? Some poor people with legible handwriting would have to write them up beforehand of course, but it could be something to do idly. Coming up with silly powers can be an amusing pastime, as comic book geeks will tell you. ;)

I agree with Ran, if you drew a Black Queen it would only be funny for a few minutes. An Aces High theme would surely be better, or maybe Aces High gatecrashed by Jokers.

A question - Is giving out badges and whatnot likely to increase our chances of selling stuff? I've only been to Glascon, but it seemed like some people didn't even bother checking out our party once they saw there was no stickers to be had. :|

Good choice on Xray and Stego to head up the organinsing btw, you know they wont take any shit.

Archived