Ideas For Denver Worldcon

Stego

I know I will be picking up some of the WC books between now and then. I think it sounds like a fun theme. Some very good ideas being mentioned here! I am not much of an idea person, but I am a great helper! So let me know if I can do anything.

I CAN'T WAIT!

ermm... yeah.. a little excited. :blush:

I put books 1-5 on my Christmas list.

I was in Staples picking up school suppiles and I noticed the pin name tags (which is what I think was suggested for the powers?) are about $16 for 100. I really like the idea of selling them for $1.00 each.

It might be a little while before I know more definately that I am going.

edit cause I can't read :P (had the price wrong)

Awesome to see all the planning so far. :) One quick suggestion though -

The shirt must be black. Seriously, bright colored shirts and designs just don't seem to work.

Would it be too horrible a thought to go with ADWD-theme shirt? It might be a bit more recognizable and desired.

The shirt must be black. Seriously, bright colored shirts and designs just don't seem to work.

:agree: with Kal. Black t-shirts scream "I am a geek", but I'm fine with that. I have a drawer worth of black t-shirts that I accumulated at University of Nerdiness, so what's one more? They're also 1000x better than white Ts, which say, "I am a geek and you can tell by the yellowed armpits of my favorite shirt." :thumbsdown:

I'm actually kind of inclined to agree with Zak on the theme. I want to read Wild Cards because it sounds interesting, but considering this board (and the BWB) are based not around GRRM generally but ASOIAF specifically, my gut instinct is to be wary of a non-ASOIAF theme.

But--I don't have the resources to be involved with this con to the extent that Stego, Xray, Lugalirra et al. will be, so I'll just be the best fan I can be. :)

Edit: Can someone inform the clueless as to what these badges are that people collect? Are they the little ribbons with words that people attach to their nametags?

This has pretty much all been said but here are my thoughts anyway.

I think simple is the way forward for everything.

Lets keep the party/parties simple, with one bar and 2 or 3 set drinks. 2 vodka drinks (creatively named) and some beer.

I think we should definitely do a batch of t-shirts but once again, keep the design simple. The Glasgow shirts worked and sold for exactly that reason. Also, lets just have the one shirt design on sale. The shirt sales table obviously needs to be prominent and it would help if we all wore our t-shirts on the first night to promote it but I'm getting way ahead of myself. These are things to be sorted at a much later date.

Badges, ribbons and stickers are almost a must a worldcon these days and also serve as advertising.

I'll give money anyway but a raffle is a good way to go if we can get a few prizes together.

I will help in any way I can with the set up and will go where needed during the party, although you may want me to stay away from security this year. :blush:

Stego and Xray, please feel free to ask for any help I can offer.

Well as Zak suggested, while more people might give Wild Cards a go, there will be people that will never like them. :P They are very different from aSoIaF. Not that I think we shouldn't do a Wild Cards theme. (I have no particular opinion). I hope people wouldn't feel excluded just because they aren't big fans of the theme. It doesn't change our status as all fans of aSoIaF. And besides, people come to hang with each other and GRRM. The theme is just something to play around with. :)

2 different themes sounds too complicated unfortunately.

Would it be too horrible a thought to go with ADWD-theme shirt? It might be a bit more recognizable and desired.

I don't know how large the WC fan base actually is, but I assume that a t-shirt with a ADWD theme would sell better. Even a geek who hasn't read ASOIAF is going to think a t-shirt with a dragon on it is cool. And if ADWD gets released next year*, the tie in factor would be a great sales boost, right?

*Disclaimer: not intended to fuel a side discussion about likely release dates of the next book.

I'll be there - with the fam, but I'll make myself as available as I can given that one constraint.

About the shirts, I think we should definitely try to keep doing shirts each year - you know how us geeks like to collect memorabilia.

On ordering said shirts, I'd recommend, if feasible, getting pre-orders from the boarders here (and perhaps on other related sites?) so we might get a more solid idea of the least number to order.

A big thing I noticed whilst selling Tees at the LA Con - get few Large regular T's, get a greater number of XL and XXL (because, let's face it kids, us geeks tend to do many sedentary activities ;) ). For the ladies, get a decent number of Large baby dolls and a greater number of Medium baby dolls (and some small for the cute chicks like skylark).

Ladies generally prefer to wear baby doll style shirts than regular because the baby doll style is quite obviously more flattering.

my $.02 for now.

For the ladies, get a decent number of Large baby dolls and a greater number of Medium baby dolls (and some small for the cute chicks like skylark).

Ladies generally prefer to wear baby doll style shirts than regular because the baby doll style is quite obviously more flattering.

Gods, yes. Totally agreed on this.

Stego,

I'm volunteering for anything you need done. Its a bit difficult (given that I'm in Australia until shortly before the con) but the way I see it is that I'm a con nOOb and happy to put my hand up for a job.

I'd be happy to cook a BBQ (since I end up doing it at nearly every BBQ I attend) or man a bar if need be - that way I get to meet heaps of BwBers as well as contributing! Otherwise, I'll stand ready to assist. I'll also chuck some money your way when the time for donations begins.

Cheers,

Stubby.

Gods, yes. Totally agreed on this.

Ha ha ha. I HATE baby doll tees. I do love children's large tshirts though. I always thought they fit better - baby doll tees are always so short and awkward, which I cannot stand. I'm always trying to pull them down. But that's just me. I'm down with normal small sizes too :)

I do have a small concern about the Wild Cards theme. One of the good things about being part of a group like the BWB is that you all get the in-jokes - we all know asoiaf so we all get the joke. If there's going to be Wild Cards in jokes flying about then it's like creating a group within a group - it's probably not that big a deal but it might make things a little less fun for those of us that haven't read Wild Cards. But then I might not even make it to Denver so feel free to ignore the dissenter in the corner ;)

Archived