Ideas For Denver Worldcon

Stego

Is it worth just having one obvious open party on the saturday and then a party for us lot on Friday (which people can still wander into if they want but we just don't make it a big deal?)

This is sort-of what we did for WFC. For a smaller con it certainly works. I'm unsure how this would translate to World Con. :)

Or have different bar tenders each night?

We did this at WFC, and it helped.

Perhaps have the bar being slightly more help-yourself on the non-public party?

This I'm not keen on. The bring-a-bottle I'm totally fine with (it has worked very well in the past, and I would like to have that policy again for WorldCon). The free access to booze I'm not, as there is no way to cut off people who've had too much (and it was clear that multiple party-goers at the private party in LA were in this realm -- I can't remember how many we eventually cut off on Friday, much less Saturday). It's just one of the realities of having larger parties -- but I'd rather spend more time around the bar than spend it in the Emergency room because someone got alcohol poisoning at our party.

What are people's thoughts on knightings? Friday or Saturday? What does George want? Do we need it fairly ordered? Or is it best to do something else?

Good question. :)

I have some family connections in the field of specialty advertising (i.e. pretty much anything you want with stuff printed on it). If you have some idea what kind of designs you're looking at I can see what the prices would be like. I'd need to know things like how many colors, straight text, line art, what sort of objects etc. Feel free to drop me an email if you want.

Other ideas...how about an actual deck of cards? Printing just the outside case probably wouldn't be too expensive. Or printed test tubes that can be used as shotglasses at the party with various colored drinks named after Capt. Trips' "friends"?

We've discussed the deck of cards. I'm not sure how much you can charge for a deck of cards while having paid for art for them.

Two open parties means two nights where people can buy whatever it is we're selling.

From personal experience, I know I did not bring cash to a party the first night at my first Worldcon, but knowing the BWB was selling t-shirts and I was drinking for free, I brought money for a shirt the next night, because it was the least I could do.

One public party does not allow for this.

More ideas. Shirts based on locations/businesses within the Wild Cards universe:

Crystal Palace T-Shirts, with an anatomy diagram printed on the front

Blythe van Renssaeler Memorial Clinic scrub shirts

Aces High polo shirt, with embroidered fat man on the left breast

Famous Bowery Wild Card Dime Museum T-shirts. (Maybe done in the style of old-time carnival posters.)

Cosmic Pumpkin tie-dye t-shirt

Get a big box with, let's say 200 badges, in it. 180 have "Black Queen" printed on them, 18 have "Joker" and 2 have "Ace". Pay a buck, draw one at random from the box.

I refuse to accept any t-shirt design with my mortal enemies on it. You should know better, Yags.

Ha.

Actually, I am pretty sure that specific characters/events are not the best choice for an all-around Con t-shirt, because we're going to have a lot of BwBers who haven't read the first Wild Cards, let alone enough who've read all the way to book 4 (I think Yag's shirt refers to book 4 anyway) to get the joke.

All that said, I'd totally buy that Kid Dinosaur t-shirt if we did a private run.

All that said, I'd totally buy that Kid Dinosaur t-shirt if we did a private run.

I'm more concerned about securing rights. Wild Cards, as a collaborative universe, has something on the order of eight bazillion 'owners'. With ASOIAF, GRRM is the sole proprietor who can (and has) grant us rights generally waiving royalties. Generic playing card images are probably our safest route.

Archived