Newcomb Part I

Daedalus V2.0

Ah, my apologies. I didn't realize that was off limits. Rookie error.

Happens to the best of us at times, Ser Paradise. Welcome to the board.

I will say this about Newcomb- after reading some of his posts on his board, he actually seems like a fairly decent, friendly individual. I mention this because every time Goodkind does an interview or chat, he comes across as someone who I would not like to meet in a dark alley or be trapped in an elevator with (hmmm would that be the definition of an express elevator to Hell?).

Thank you sir.

And I agree with your comment re: The Duke. He doesn't seem a bad sort, just overly impressed with his own work.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for awful novels? Though I'm well versed in fantasy, I confess to not being all that impressed by much of it. Not trying to disparage the genre - it is just difficult to find something as satisfying and thrilling as A Song of Ice and Fire. Most of the books I read in my youth don't really hold up to current inspection.

Once you go Martin, you don't go back.

Thus I've turned to more literary fiction, which is not without its own sterling instances of shit.

Ah, my apologies. I didn't realize that was off limits. Rookie error.

Not a problem. You're quite free to post links to other boards. And we won't prevent you from joining other boards and even raising legitimate discussion of their works (or answering trivia questions).

It just that we've had run-ins in the past with active trolling. Plus we'd be really pissed if some random author's fans invaded and trolled our board en masse, so we try to accord other boards the same level of regard. :)

Are you all aware that The Duke deigns to post on his own series message board? Did you know that he posted, only a scant few days ago, a 'thought provoking' tidbit that 'nobody has caught on to yet?' Yes, he quizzes the few, beleaguered denizens of that board about his personal literature.

His screen name is both tantalizing and profound: Da Boss.

http://newcomb.syntheticstream.com/PostView.aspx?postid=7682

WTF, SPOOIIILERS!!!

I have to agree. The Duke seems to be a pretty congenial guy all told. Of course, there's the fact that he thinks this novel was genious, which makes me kind of sad. It's just going to make him a wee bit harder to mock. Or, more likely, not.

Although seriously, when I see an author (or a movie director/actor or a video game developer) interacting with their fans in a real way like that, it nets them a lot of good opinions from me. Even if his novels are junk, Newcomb himself get's a big :thumbsup: from me.

I was another one of those who fell for the GRRM mention in the blurb, I made it to the harpy killing scene then threw the book away in disgust. I can't tell you how much sastisfaction, entertainment and closure this thread has gotten me. Daedalus your courage and fortitude is legend, in some way you have made this world a better place by falling on this grenade for us. Your like a therapist for those of us who were abused by this giant crime of a novel.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for awful novels? Though I'm well versed in fantasy, I confess to not being all that impressed by much of it. Not trying to disparage the genre - it is just difficult to find something as satisfying and thrilling as A Song of Ice and Fire. Most of the books I read in my youth don't really hold up to current inspection.

There's a sticky thread up top with folks' recommendations. If you haven't read any of Greg Keyes's works (especially The Briar King, which is the first book in a series called Kingdom of Thorn and Bone) I'd recommend it as good waiting-for-Martin reading. It's not quite as complex, and he hasn't yet killed off what I'd call a main character, but there are a few surpises. His Waterborn and The Blackgod aren't quite as good, and I really couldn't get into his other series (mostly penned under the name J. Gregory Keyes), though they aren't badly written.

The Gates of Dawn is in my posession. The title and cover art remind me of nothing so much as a David Eddings novel, except perhaps a Goodkind one. I'm not started reading yet, but I must say that splashing the "This is like GRRM!" endorsement all over the back of the novel makes me hate it already.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for awful novels?

For a guy that writes awful novels and is upfront about it, in a vaguely self and fan mocking way, you could do worse than this guy:

http://www.mackmaloney.com/thebooks.html

just read this description

Target Point Zero - Though it might not seem it, this is the beginning of what I consider the “second†Wingman series. The first 11 books constituted the original contracts for Wingman. By the time it came to writing this book, many things had changed. Different management at my publisher, my original editor was gone and for some reason, they didn’t use the great ET Steadman to do the cover.

Still it’s a good story. Hawk has set out to find the evil Viktor who has reared his ugly head again. The devil himself has blasted off in a Russian space shuttle and now it is up to Hawk to figure where and when the super-villain is coming down.

Hawk literally traverses half the globe – twice – in search of the secret landing spot. In doing so, he encounters some “dreamy†Nazis, a beautiful young girl who likes to be watched, a few dinosaurs, and a young kid who has a MiG-25 that Hawk wants to borrow.

The climax takes place in the South China Sea, at a place called “Lolita Island.†Need I say more?

He is totally taking the piss.

Ok, who has book 2 and why aren't you reading it yet?

Sorry guys. I've been a very busy person for the last couple of days. Expect the Prologue and perhaps chapter 1 before the end of the day. I plan to start up a new thread, considering it's a new book, and I have a great idea for the title ;)

I will say this about Newcomb- after reading some of his posts on his board, he actually seems like a fairly decent, friendly individual. I mention this because every time Goodkind does an interview or chat, he comes across as someone who I would not like to meet in a dark alley or be trapped in an elevator with (hmmm would that be the definition of an express elevator to Hell?).

I think this is what truly separates Goodkind from Newcomb. It's their attitudes towards their books. While content-wise, they have many similar themes (well, one might even argue that Newcomb's books' contents are much more objectionble than Tairy's), the way they view their works are not quite the same. Sure, they both seem to be impressed with their work, but at least Newcomb, unlike Tairy, does not:

1. Claim that or have fans who claim that the books is almost like Holy Writ/Truth Itself

2. Believe his books have socially redeeming values or about important human themes

3. Deny his books are fantasy

4. Act like a pompous ass in interviews

Kenneth Eng or Robert Stanek. Once you read them, you can never look back. :thumbsup:

Sorry guys. I've been a very busy person for the last couple of days. Expect the Prologue and perhaps chapter 1 before the end of the day. I plan to start up a new thread, considering it's a new book, and I have a great idea for the title ;)

:grouphug: Much luck to you.

Archived