Newcomb Part I

Daedalus V2.0

So far so good. :D I'm going to see if my library has a copy so I can follow along as well.

What should we call him? (the Newcomb equivalent of the Yeard)

I'll do some searching around teh interwebz and see if he has some physical aspect that we can lampoon.

He looks also kinda like a motivational speaker. For suckyass writing. Feel the Aryan might flowing from that faux-leather jacket?

He needs naugahyde fo'shizzle.

I'm back, and have finished chapter 3 and 4. I'm only going to be putting 3 up before I go to bed, but you can expect 4 in the morning. Be prepared, the Mary-Sueishness factor gets bumped up a couple of levels.

Note- for the name, he looks like a Greaser. Greasycomb perhaps?

If he were going bald, I'd say the skullet, based on this pic. But instead, it looks like he's trying to be a badass version of Michael J. Fox.

For better or worse I didn't find a copy of TFS (for today at least).

I'm shocked by the fact on that page that the book was actually auctioned off, and for a large amount of money. It just makes me sick. :ack:

Upon securing the services of a literary agent, the novel was quickly sold in a hotly contested auction as part of a three book deal to Random House / Balantine Publishers, for what is believed to be the largest single first time fantasy author's contract ever.

Okay, so chapter 3 starts off in the POV of the sorceress, who is currently the dutchess of some rich province in this kingdom that has a lot of marble quarries. She acts really evil for a while, talking about how she manipulated the duke, her husband, into marrying her and how she has lots of casual sex with random men (note- this is done in an evil way, rather than Tristan's harmless "gentlemanly" way). She gloats about her evil plan to herself for a while, then recalls her childhood. Apparently, she was the first person to read from some special book, and her "Bastard wizard father" stopped caring about her after she did that, because all of a sudden everyone could do it. Then all of the "Bastard wizards" ignored her, and the sorceresses snuck in and corruptified her. They trained her to use her super eevil magic, including the ability to change her appearance at will, hence why she's never been noticed in 300 years. She's been communicating with her evil "Sisters" and apparently they have some sort of evil plan which will be taking place in the next few days. Her POV ends with her smugly thinking about how fun it will be when she rapes Prince Tristan. Also, during this portion we learn that apparently people elect their dukes, and they are usually not of endowed (wizardly) blood. Of course, the king and the Wizard Directorate are the ultimate authorities, however. Also, the people of this province really love their duke.

The POV now shifts to Tristan, who is waiting outside of some council room in which the Wizard Directorate and his father, the King, are conferencing about him. He is very annoyed because they're forcing him to sit out among all the guests for some important ceremony which is happening later in his dirty clothes. He has a short talk with the evil sorceress Dutchess, who is apparently great friends with his mother. Oh, and apparently everyone except her husband knows about her sleeping around, and he thinks self-righteously of how shameful it is. She then flirts with him for a while, and he thinks that normally he's flirt back, married woman or not, but not right now. Now we are introduced to Frederick, Shailiha's husband and the Captain of the Royal Guard. HE talks with Tristan for a while, encourages him about some stuff, and gets into a brotherly bit of wrestling. We learn that he loves Tristan very much, sort of like a brother. We also learn that he is the best swordsman in the kingdom, and (surprise, surprise) Triston is the second best, by a very narrow margin. The chapter ends when he leaves and Tristan thinks about how he loves Frederick, kind of like a brother.

I wonder if cockscomb would be even more appropriate...

I do believe that back in the Goodkind thread I initially submidded the name Douchecomb, due to his sexist themes.

The Dunedin Public Library has a copy. I know. I've checked. It even has the *sequels*. :stunned:

Well, that's more than my library has. I suppose I'll have to have the rest of the trilogy ordered in after I finish with this one.

Also, as an aside: MY library has no Scott Lynch books, but we have this thing in hardcover. :sick:

I pity his wife.

She inspired him to write this, apparently.

ETA: Does anybody else notice that everybody in this kingdom loves everybody else very much, in either a siblingy way or a spousishy way or a rulery way. It's starting to make me feel nausceous.

The Dunedin Public Library has a copy. I know. I've checked. It even has the *sequels*. :stunned:

I know thats where I looked for it but it must be out at the moment. They have all of his books there, even his newest series. There was only books 2 and 3 there, maybe next time.

She inspired him to write this, apparently.

ETA: Does anybody else notice that everybody in this kingdom loves everybody else very much, in either a siblingy way or a spousishy way or a rulery way. It's starting to make me feel nausceous.

He must really hate her. :lol:

I also found what appears to be the main message board for the series.

http://newcomb.syntheticstream.com/

A little tidbit:

Apparently GRRM dislikes Douchecomb, but that's ok because Tairy is a Big fan.

From the Douchecomb forums:

Have I ever been trashed by another author? Yes, by GRRM, in fact, although it seems that he did so privately, not publicly. Which I find mean spirited, because I don't know him, nor have I ever said anything unkind about him. Another such item of interest is that it is rumored that Terry Goodkind defends my work, although I have never found any evidence of that on the web.

Archived