NFL VII

Space Bandito

EHK, I respect the right to have a 2nd team. I am a conflicted Oregon Duck fan, whose brother ended up playing for Oregon State, so I like both. Question for you though. How does a franchise like Chicago go 25 years without a QB? Seriously, who is your best QB since McMahon? Shane Matthews? Steve Walsch? Rex Grossman? It's so bad...

We haven't had a true franchise quarterback since Sid Luckman. And I don't expect we'll see another one for another couple decades. Sometimes you just get used to the inevitable. Best since McMahon? You're forgetting future Hall of Famer's like Erik Kramer (who actually approached 'decent' during his brief tenure), Jim Miller, and Cade McNown.

Want a rundown of futility?

Bears QB's since Jim McMahon.

Mike Tomczak 1986-1990

Jim Harbaugh 1989-1993

Peter Tom Willis 1992 (never listed as an official starter)

Steve Walsh 1994

Erik Kramer 1994-1995, 1997-1999

Rick Mirer 1997

Moses Moreno 1998 (never listed as an official starter)

Dave Krieg 1996

Shane Matthews 1999-2001

Cade McNown 1999-2000

Jim Miller 2001-2002

Chris Chandler 2002-2003 (never listed as an official starter)

Henry Burris 2002

Kordell Stewart 2003

Chad Hutchinson 2004

Jonathan Quinn 2004

Craig Krenzel 2004

Kyle Orton 2005

Rex Grossman 2005[2] - 2007

Brian Griese 2007[3]

The Cards still have the number 57 hanging in the bullpen for Kile. Not retired officially, but I don't see anybody wearing it any time soon.

Yeah, the second I posted that realized it sounded wrong.

The sad truth that's been reinforced from this is the amount that these tragedies linger in our minds are directly proportionate to their level of stardom. We remember Kile but not Hancock. Bias moreso than Lewis. If some bench guy or fifth corner died from being shot in his house there would be immediate outrage, but it would die down so much easier. Like his life didn't matter as much just because he wasn't as good.

JL, I didn't want to be rooting against the Redskins today, and that is a really brutal way to lose a game.

It was. But I've gotten used to disappointment these last few weeks...years. :P

If I'm honest with myself, I realize he Bills deserved to win. Gibbs' gaffe was surreal, but I don't put too much on it because I was convinced Lindell was going to be good from 51. And I was impressed by how good the Bills O-line was and how the defense swarmed.

Question for you though. How does a franchise like Chicago go 25 years without a QB? Seriously, who is your best QB since McMahon? Shane Matthews? Steve Walsch? Rex Grossman? It's so bad...

This question could be asked of many NFL franchises. "Franchise Quarterbacks" on the level of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady aren't exactly easy to come by.

You can draft until you're blue in the face, but for every Peyton Manning, there are tons of Akili Smiths and Ryan Leafs and Cade McNowns and on and on that just don't cut muster.

The NFL is full of journeymen QB's in the mold of Steve Walsh or Erik Kramer that won't make it to Canton, but can be inserted into an offense to basically not be the big reason teams lose.

Just look at the Rams today. Gus Frerotte?? I thought he was dead!

Alex Smith was reputed to be one of the smartest guys in his draft class and has a fantastic work ethic. Something is still missing.

He's not Tony Romo. :smoking:

The Cowboys are 11-1 and though I think their secondary is still susceptable(sp?) to being torched I just can't come down off cloud 9. Though it is funny how there seems to be 'Boys fans coming out of the woodwork now that they have reclaimed their rightful place astride the NFC, fucking fair weather pussies.

BTW I absolutely detest the NFL network... I miss the biggest game in the NFC becase its on a Thursday and my cable provider doesn't carry the game. Greedy bastards.

Alex Smith was reputed to be one of the smartest guys in his draft class and has a fantastic work ethic. Something is still missing.

What about a good team around him? Good coaching? Would he be doing better if he still had Norv Turner as his coordinator?

Guys like Brady and Manning had fantastic tools around them when they got their starts. Manning had two HOF guys on his O, and a great O line. Brady had a fantastic D, and a solid O and O line around him. Both men were the beneficiaries of the two best O line coaches in the league, and have had defensive mastermind coaches (who better to teach you to read a D then a HOF worthy defensive coach?).

Put them on a genuinely shitty team, and who knows....

No they don't but coaches draw up game plans that are meant to neutralize the opposing teams best players. Unfortunately, the Bengals always manage to allow the other team's best players to have their best games of the year against them. Ward kills us every game. It'd be nice if they rolled coverage to him once during the game.

Actually, we usually kill you on the ground. hines just ices the cake.

;)

They don't jam him at the line. Like, ever.

No one does.

They don't jam him at the line. Like, ever.

We don't jam anyone. We think defense is played by giving the receivering a 10 yard cushion and allowing him to catch a little in pattern or hook pattern.

Actually, we usually kill you on the ground. hines just ices the cake.

;)

We can't get off the field on third down and that's because we can't stop Ward. You might get your yards on the ground but we have plenty of opportunities to stop you and fail because we have a shitty defense who doesn't understand the idea of eliminating the opposing offense's most potent weapon.

Fair enough. Hearing the same cliches and talking points from the annoucers gets old even for the fans. (undefeated, blue print, who can beat them, Tom Brady's, Record this, Record that, Belichick and on and on)

And even more so for non fans. Honestly, I just think they're trying to force feed us the Patriots and their historic run. It just gets tiresome. I'd be interested to see what the ratings are for tonight's game.

Not force feeding anything. The Patriots do bring the ratings. There is a reason they are getting "flexed" so much. They broke ratings records twice this season - Dallas and Indy. The Networks do not force people to watch anything. The Patriots bring the Lovers and the Haters.

They broke ratings records twice this season - Dallas and Indy.

Those were genuinely great, important matchups that deserved a larger audience and were watched accordingly. New England against mediocre (or bad) teams on primetime each and every week...we don't want to see that shit.

Archived