Lets bring her back!

BattleDrumz

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but I frequent twcenter.net and have worked on mods for Medieval 2:Total War.

Unaware, I began creating a SoIaF mod by myself called (rather simply) Game of Thrones with the intention of soon asking Mr. Martin permission to go public. While researching the best way to contact him, I found Westeros: Total War. :)

However, it seems that the mod has died.... :(

I am skilled with photoshop (both 2d art and skinning) and have a competent knowledge of mapping and coding.

Having worked on previous mods (including the ill-fated Medieval:Total Realism) I can bring some experience to this project. I am currently trying to get a hold of the previous core team to either a) get the machine moving or B) taking their source material and heading it up myself. If neccessary, I will push to recreate everything done (including the map) but I would rather not for the most obvious reasons.

What this mod needs right now is a strategy and support!

I dont want to step on anyones toes, but this is the plan as far as I see it:

priority 1: establish playable factions, non-p's, emergent, etc

2: get a working map (final version not necessary)

3: set unit rosters for each faction (reskinned not necessary)

4. create family trees/ characters

5. skin units

>>> release beta! <<<

6. Fine tune map

7. Fine tune faction balance, ai, character traits, skins

8. add emergent faction ai/ any other event ai

>>> release version 1 <<<

the most important thing I've learned from modding is to release a playable version asap! It doesn't need polish or all the features you want. You can add those later. Which brings me to my next point: release updates often! But why is this so important?:

One, it keeps the team's morale high by showing a sense of accomplishment (this is most likely why this mod, like so many others, died).

Two, the fan base comes back and grows; creating a comunity of feedback

Again, I dont want to step on anyones toes. i just want to see this happen.

Cheers

>>This is what I have established for my own mod before finding Westeros:TW. Any of this could change and I would love to have your help in finalizing all this. <<

Gameplay start: The death of the king and the beginning of the War of Five Kings.

Turns: 4 turns per year (seasonal)

Religions: the faith, the old gods, the drowned god, lord of light

Playable factions:

1. House Stark (Saxon)

2. House Tully (English)

3. House Tyrell (France)

4. House Lannister (Norman)

5. House Greyjoy (Denmark)

6. House Martell (Byzantine?)

7. House Arryn (?)

8. House Baratheon (HRE)

Non-playable factions:

1. rebels

2. Night's Watch (Russia)

3. Free Peoples (scotland)

4. Baratheon rebels (stannis or remly?)

5. Bolton (stark rebels)

6. Frey (Tully rebels)

7. Florent (tyrell rebels)

Emergent factions:

1. The Others??

2. Targaryen??

UNITS:

1. House Stark

peasants

levy spearment

levy archers

armored sergeants

pikemen

Stark Men at Arms

Umber swordsmen (Highland Nobles)

Northern longbowmen

Mounted Sergeants

Mailed Knights

2. Tully

peasants

levy spearment

levy archers

armored sergeants

pikemen

Riverrun Dismounted Men at Arms

Bowmen of the Trident

Mounted Sergeants

Mailed Knights

Riverrun Men at Arms

3. Tyrell

peasants

levy spearmen

levy archers

armored sergeants

Arbor Men at Arms

Bowmen

Crossbow Militia

Myrish Crossbowmen (Pavise Xbowmen)

Mounted Sergeants

Mailed Knights

Lancers

Knights of the Rose (men at arms)

4. Lannister (Norman)

peasants

levy spearmen

levy archers

armored sergeants

Halberd Militia

Lannister Dis. Men at Arms

Crossbow Militia

Mounted Sergeants

Mailed Knights

Lancers

... 2. Night's Watch (Russia)

recruits (levy spearment)

dismounted rangers (dismounted. dvor)

rangers (dvor)

I'd suggest you try to contact Marcus, he's got most of the earlier works and plans. Could save you a lot of effort, unless you want to redo everything.

In the most recent build I was working on, we had already made the map, the factions, and implemented most of the generals. The problem was mostly on the graphics side: the unit skins, character portraits, sigils of minor houses, and pics for artifacts and retinues. Browse the other threads for more details...

I would omit the skins from the first release. Skins are sooooo much work and it will take many months if you want to give each faction several unique skins. I recommend you release an alpha with everything from the beta but without skins. Implementing banners is more important than the skins.

Later on, there is still ample time to add the eye candy.

By the way, I hope the factions don't start with 8 or more regions. Gameplaywise it's more fun if you can carve out your own kingdom (ie. starting with 3-5 regions is more fun!).

Hi all,

First time poster and a rather novice TW modder. Big fan of ASOIAF! I'd love to get involved with a re-boot of this mod, lets start it up! I'm good with doing text code and I can also do some basic skinning/banners. We need to get a hold of the mod that was being worked on up until it died. Does anyone know where it might be found for download? Hook me up.

• 2 weeks later...

Main things to get this to work.

Keep it Simple!

Work towards a simple first beta release and don't get distracted by little details. I would suggest a staged mod would work best :-

1 - Westeros map and factions (use mainly just the core of M2TW main game for this - keep the same unit - don't bother with much reskinning bar the minimum)

2 - Work on any reskinning and features to provide the Westeros feel to the game

3 - Test it

Hey,

I agree we need to get this back rolling. It's a good idea to have the targets mentioned above, but it's not enough to just say that's the target. We need to figure out the steps to get to the targets, and who's going to do it. I'm willing to try to learn how to do something, if that helps.

I've been watching this for a while, was quite sad when it seemed to die. I don't have any coding or art skills, but I'm perfectly willing to supply quotes, write bios for characters, history for factions, text for events and so on and so forth. Just give me a shout about something you want done and I'll see if I can't dig through the books and give you something interesting in return. I also have some minor experience in voice acting in mods, and have moderately effective equipment to do so.

Hello,

This is my first post here. I am a HUGE fan of both ASOIAF and TW, I exstensively played every TW game and read most of GRRM's work. I think a GOT TW is the best idea since central heating and fully support the project and am willing to help in any way possible short of murder or prostitution. Please PM if you need my amateur assitance!

Archived