WoW

TerraPrime

Well, I wouldn't complain if the run was smooth, either, threat meter or no. *shrugs* It's just that the bad PUGs that I've been in seem to share this trait, is all. I'm not saying you can't be a good tank without it. I'm saying that a lot of bad tanks could use it to become better.

Well last night we ran 4 instances in a row with 3 different healers, myself another mage and an elemental shaman and we never wiped once.

So I guess in conclusion, your opinion man. :P

Uhh, yeah. But my opinion is the correct one.

So you did a couple of instances with two sheeps and didn't wipe? Yawn. Have him tank a raid boss that resets aggro without a threatmeter, and then tell me how good he/she is.

I don't need to look at omen in a normal instance either while prot specced. Hell, it's easier in a heroic because of my being overgeared for a normal. But a tank without a threatmeter is a tank that hasn't learned how to be a tank yet, because he/she doesn't understand that their first priority is TPS, second is mitigation.

And without a threatmeter, they haven't learned to push their TPS.

Sure you can play without a threat meter. You can also play entirely with the blizzard UI. You can play with only one tool bar. But doing all these things gimps yourself. You can make your dps wait for 4 sunders, but you are gimping them and yourself. A good dpser should know what type of threat they can pull, but they have no idea what an unknown tank can do. If I'm playing with a crappy tank, maybe all I can do is wait for 4 sunders and then just autoattack. But if we both have omen, I can see when he's got 3k threat right away and then unleash hell. If you dont want to use the tools available thats fine, but don't be suprised that others would expect you to utilize them.

Ran my first Outland instance yesterday, and wow, it was bizarre going. I couldn't find a group from scratch, so I eventually convinced my rl friend with a 70 druid to heal, and after being able to say I had a healer I got a group together from my guild really quick with a 60warlock, a 61 warrior, and a 70 rogue who was gonna help. After doing the first boss the warrior had to go so he was replaced...by another rl friend, with his 68 rogue. Now that we had no tank it was important to mark targets to get 2 saps and a sheep org., I still don't know how to mark, so I made the 70 rogue the leader. Pretty soon after this the warlock says he has to leave, so he was replaced...by a guy in my guild with a 70 shaman.

So let me recap, a normal Hellfire Ramparts with 3 70s, a 68, and me, a 60 mage; I felt so special. On the plus side it does mean I got all the gear, and my 2 friends gave me all the cloth they got. Of course I do feel slightly ridiculous wearing Lifegiver Britches and Heartblood Prayer Beads seeing as they are entirely meant for a priest. But they're just so much better then the old world stuff I wearing. Now I just need to run it a few more times until I get Crystalfire Staff.

This brings up a point though, I don't really like getting run through instances like that. Sure it means I'll get pretty much all the gear and I won't have to deal with wipes, but it's not exactly fun. Yeah on future runs I wouldn't mind, when I'm just desperately trying to get a single item, I'd welcome this sort of thing. But my first time through an instance I'd rather have a regular group and go through regularly with all that entails.

Terra -

In an instance I don't think there is a need for a threatmeter. Bottom line is if you can't control your DPS or you can't heal correctly, you'll pull aggro. To me it sounds like your tank was just dumb, and didn't understand what his limitations are. I tank as a druid and I prefer only to have 3 targets at most at any given time. I keep aggro most of the time; if something goes, I taunt it back. If DPS pulls more than twice, I am happy to let that DPS die. Also, it sounds like he didn't use the raid icons, which helps a lot when you're being told to trap and you need to target it right away. "Trap/sheep the healer!" "... there are two, which one?"

As a DPS class, I've generally learned to gauge where my aggro is relative to the tank's. Distance and dps are the two main factors. Some trial and error with bad groups will help you learn when you can push and when you have to hold back. Feign death proactively, not just when you get close to the top of the list. A hunter should be at the bottom or close to the bottom all the time. As for the healers, my feeling is that unless you have a ranged dps incapable of dropping threat (mage!) they will be towards the top unless the tank has plenty of mitigation and threat generation.

I had KTM once. For Ony. It was terrible, and I always get stuck on whelp groups anyway, so I don't even think a threat meter is useful for that.

what tickles me most bout WoW is how quickly people go from total nubs to elitist jerks, lol.

"Hey Stego, what server should I roll on?"

"I did 1000 Arena matches today and I won so much with my 10k resilience that they made a new title for me."

STFU, nub. :P

what tickles me most bout WoW is how quickly people go from total nubs to elitist jerks, lol.
:grouphug:

Got hosed doing arena last night. the reset time used to be 7pm my time, but last night it changed at 6 pm right while we were trying to get out 10 matches in. Luckily I had done 3v3 over the weekend so I still got some points. Enough to get my S3 pants. With 3 pieces of vindicator gear and my S2 mace, I'm up to 99 resilience! Gonna take awhile to get the 300 plus I need. Think the S3 gloves are next up, the plus 5 yards to shock range is imba.

Had a couple of horrendous AV attempts before server shutdown. 15-20 afkers in each. Last one we got zero honor, It was awesome. One asshat was actually working at staying afk. I saw him hiding off by a mine at one point. then he must have gotten killed beacuse he was running in circles back at the frostwolf graveyard. I mean if you are putting enough effort into moving around, go toss off some heals or some consecrates. or consecrate then heal. :P Seriously I can believe how hard some of these people work to leach. I've been using this add on to auto report afkers. Seems to work fairly well.

I actually didn't run that many lower level outlands instances while leveling up. Did ramparts a couple of times, Blood Furnace one, slave pens and underbog one time each. Mana Tombs once, and crypts twice . Or there abouts. I was more trying to get to 70 than to run instances. I think you get a lot better xp questing than getting boosted through an instance. Tried a couple of pugs, and didn't much care for them. Now helping others level up, I've done hellfire and coilfang low levels so much that I never want to see them again, at least on a level 70.

"Hey Stego, what server should I roll on?"

"I did 1000 Arena matches today and I won so much with my 10k resilience that they made a new title for me."

STFU, nub. :P

lol, i wasnt excluding myself. it took me 3 days at 70 to start mocking the playing habits of people newer then me. haha, it's like a wow rite of passage.

and i WISH i won more than...like 60% of my arena games. my 2v2 team consists of my holy pally and my mage friend. we have issues against shadow spells like a motherfucka.

my 3v3 is the same mage, this time in ice spec, my roomate war and my pally. my roomate still keyboard turns. gg.

Oh man. I need to OT Gruul more often. Also I need less dodge. It took us three tries before things stopped going wrong. On the first, I didn't dodge/parry too many hurtfuls, and I was able to out-aggro the main tank. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN!? TANKING GRUUL IS INFINITE RAGE, LEARN TO THREAT GENERATE!

On the other two tries, too many failed to hit and during execute spam the MS warrior actually pulled ahead of me. Granted, I pulled back ahead of him, but ugh.

hah I'm still trying to figure Omen out, like why am I going all flashy when I'm not at the top of the list, heh. KTM was simpler, but I don't think it was accurate, dunno.

It warns you when you pass 90% of threat of the highest aggro player in the group. I disabled the flashy red thing because it annoys me, but I do pay attention to the prompt during battle. If I hit 90% and the mob is close to death, then I continue the same DPS because it'll be dead before I can pull aggro. If, however, the mob is still well over half, then I stick with white damage alone. Also, you will not pull aggro immediately, usually, if you pass the tank's aggro. You usually need to pass the total damage of the whole group to pull aggro.

Re: relic

Expecting people to play the game intelligently is not elitist. :P

Re: Fez

That's the blessing and the curse of most of your friends being levels ahead of you. Not much of a solution to that, other than to PUG games, and friend the people who're good at it. Then next time you want to PUG you can see who are online that you can trust. We ran into a great tank, a decent rogue, and a great healer just PUGing at 70.

I know I should be thankful for their help, and I am. But sometimes they help too much I think, and don't let me grow as a player on my own by suffering horrible misfortunes and learning from them. Though I can't wait till I get to 70 and can do stuff on equal footing with them, then the mage jokes will stop...maybe.

Oh and I just did the bestest quest ever. It was a pair of them from Reaver Falls, near thrallmar, they were bombing runs where I just sat back on a flying mount and threw bombs at the legion, it was totally kick ass! The 2nd one is actually repeatable, but nothing is given for it after the first time, not even a little bit of rep. :(

I don't suppose I can prevail upon anyone who has the patience and understanding of what it was once like to be below twenty in level to explain to me how I get a threat meter and/or radius set up? Thank you!

The dictionary at the end of the manual has explained to me some of the hieroglyphical acronyms that you people use in here, but I am still at a loss for others.

I now understand "tank". Hopefully, others will follow.

I suspect that, if I WAS in a PvP environment, that I would swiftly be labelled a "carebear". :-) Oh well.

I don't suppose I can prevail upon anyone who has the patience and understanding of what it was once like to be below twenty in level to explain to me how I get a threat meter and/or radius set up? Thank you!

The dictionary at the end of the manual has explained to me some of the hieroglyphical acronyms that you people use in here, but I am still at a loss for others.

I now understand "tank". Hopefully, others will follow.

I suspect that, if I WAS in a PvP environment, that I would swiftly be labelled a "carebear". :-) Oh well.

Do you know how to install add ons at all?

Omen is the threat meter you want.

Download it here

all you do is install in in the right folder and you are good to go. standard setup is fine.

To install add ons you put them in your wow folder

This article explains add ons for n00bs

Archived