Dark Sword painted miniatures for auction

KatieG

Hey guys,

Since I heard a lot of you wanting the Dark Sword minis but not wanting to paint them, I bought two sets with the idea to auction off one of them to folks who wanted painted minis. My first auction can be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:IT&ih=014

I chose Jon for my first Dark Sword GRRM mini. As a bonus, I also painted up a direwolf as Ghost. Bidding starts at just $9.99 which was the price of Jon alone.

Thanks, and mods, if you think this belongs in the other thread, feel free to combine, I just thought more people would notice it in it's own thread. I was planning on adding posts to this thread as I finish painting the other minis in the set...

ETA: New minis!

Very cool. Since I have 0 painting skills, I will be watching this one (and bidding if the price is right).

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. :) I'm not an award winning master painter or anything, but I can at least make it look pretty good.

Melisandre is next. And I was complaining about black, but red is probably even harder to do well...

P.S. The Night's Watch guy with a spear? That spear is super fragile. I'm afraid he's going to be converted into a Night's Watch guy with sword...

I've managed to finish three more miniatures, you can find them here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kngonzalez/minis/

(let me know if that works, I'm not 100% sure someone other than I can see them.)

I've finished Melisandre, Sandor and Jaime. Let me know what you think!

I'm probably going to wait to put them on eBay until after the holidays. By then I might have them all done! :)

Melisandre is next. And I was complaining about black, but red is probably even harder to

That worked out well, congratulations. The outer sleeve (?) of her right arm might have needed more shading in the deepest fold, at least on the photo. Did you mix the lighter shade just by adding yellow? For example in her bosom? On the photos it looks really good, but I would have worried that the resulting Mel had looked orange. Of course, given the fire theme, that would have been excusable. Certainly better than a pink Melisandre. (I'd have chickened out and just shaded her, no highlights.)

In any case, you got yourself a properly red Melisandre. Good job.

That worked out well, congratulations. The outer sleeve (?) of her right arm might have needed more shading in the deepest fold, at least on the photo. Did you mix the lighter shade just by adding yellow? For example in her bosom? On the photos it looks really good, but I would have worried that the resulting Mel had looked orange. Of course, given the fire theme, that would have been excusable. Certainly better than a pink Melisandre. (I'd have chickened out and just shaded her, no highlights.)

In any case, you got yourself a properly red Melisandre. Good job.

I'll check out the sleeve, I appreciate the feedback :) The lightest shades are actually orange, but I glazed it with red to tone it down a little. Reaper Master series has some very nice reds and oranges... Another good trick if you want a more subtle red is to highlight with red mixed with flesh tones. I was going for bright though, which is why I used the orange...

I'm not entirely happy with Jaime's cloak, part of me wants to redo it from scratch... but no one pointed it out. Any comments specifically on that?

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I just finished Cersei and Loras. In addition, I decided to try adding battle damage to Sandor's shield. You can see the new and improved Sandor here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kng...frontdamage.jpg

Cersei and Loras can be found in the same folder as the others here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v489/kngonzalez/minis/

I'm probably going to put these guys up on eBay tomorrow (so Melisandre, Cersei, Jaime, Loras and the Hound would all be going up) and I'll post the links once I have started the auctions. I still have the 4 Night's Watch guys to do, but unless someone really really wants them, I figured on keeping them to potentially do a diorama with.

Hey guys,

Since I heard a lot of you wanting the Dark Sword minis but not wanting to paint them, I bought two sets with the idea to auction off one of them to folks who wanted painted minis. My first auction can be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:IT&ih=014

I chose Jon for my first Dark Sword GRRM mini. As a bonus, I also painted up a direwolf as Ghost. Bidding starts at just $9.99 which was the price of Jon alone.

Thanks, and mods, if you think this belongs in the other thread, feel free to combine, I just thought more people would notice it in it's own thread. I was planning on adding posts to this thread as I finish painting the other minis in the set...

ETA: New minis!

Wow!!! I wish I could paint like that. Great job man. Do you have pics of any other ones you have painted? If so I would love to see them.

Never mind. I just say all the pics i the post above mine.

Great job

Wow!!! I wish I could paint like that. Great job man. Do you have pics of any other ones you have painted? If so I would love to see them.

Never mind. I just say all the pics i the post above mine.

Great job

Thanks! I started painting in high school, quit for years, then it became my stress release in grad school. I find it "easier" to paint minis like this, color schemes are easy because you know what the're "supposed" to be. Plus, for some reason I always had an easier time painting up "character" minis (like these guys, or the old AD&D Dragonlance minis, etc.) because I can see them in my minds eye.

I can't wait for the next set of ASoiF minis. These guys are so easy to paint because of the beautiful job the sculptor did. Can't wait to see what he'll do for some of my other favorites!

I think my favorite mini to paint was Cersei. Though Mel was good too... the faces are just so expressive.

I know we've got other painters on the board, anyone else get any of these done? I'd love to see more interpretations.

Also, anyone seen the Jaime as Kingsguard on the Dark Sword page? One of my favorite painters did this one, and she did a beautiful job... I was thinking of doing a similar interpretation at some point, but THIS one blows anything I could do away... Painting white well is one of the most difficult things to do in miniature painting... IMHO.

Thanks! I started painting in high school, quit for years, then it became my stress release in grad school. I find it "easier" to paint minis like this, color schemes are easy because you know what the're "supposed" to be. Plus, for some reason I always had an easier time painting up "character" minis (like these guys, or the old AD&D Dragonlance minis, etc.) because I can see them in my minds eye.

I can't wait for the next set of ASoiF minis. These guys are so easy to paint because of the beautiful job the sculptor did. Can't wait to see what he'll do for some of my other favorites!

I think my favorite mini to paint was Cersei. Though Mel was good too... the faces are just so expressive.

I know we've got other painters on the board, anyone else get any of these done? I'd love to see more interpretations.

Also, anyone seen the Jaime as Kingsguard on the Dark Sword page? One of my favorite painters did this one, and she did a beautiful job... I was thinking of doing a similar interpretation at some point, but THIS one blows anything I could do away... Painting white well is one of the most difficult things to do in miniature painting... IMHO.

^ I saw those the other day on the site. Those are stunning. I would buy these minis if they were painted like that. Like I said earlier, yours also look great. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Just a reminder, these auctions will end on Sunday at about 5:30 Pacific time if anyone else wants to try for these... I'm not planning on painting any more of these for eBay, so it's your last chance!

Just a reminder, these auctions will end on Sunday at about 5:30 Pacific time if anyone else wants to try for these... I'm not planning on painting any more of these for eBay, so it's your last chance!

I'm the lucky fellow who won these auctions. Received the pieces yesterday and I have to say I'm positively blown away by the quality. The sculpt is excellent, but your detailed, meticulous painting absolutely makes them come alive.

If you happen to read this, and if you don't mind me asking...why no more pieces on ebay? :bawl: You'd have a guaranteed bidder in yours truly!

I'm the lucky fellow who won these auctions. Received the pieces yesterday and I have to say I'm positively blown away by the quality. The sculpt is excellent, but your detailed, meticulous painting absolutely makes them come alive.

If you happen to read this, and if you don't mind me asking...why no more pieces on ebay? :bawl: You'd have a guaranteed bidder in yours truly!

First, thanks. I was really worried about how well you'd like them :) I take it that means they got there in one piece? I always worry about the Post Office stomping on the package or something.

I'm not going to put any more up in the near future mainly because I am too pressed for time. I'm job hunting now, and may be starting a new job shortly that will seriously decrease my available painting time. I will try to get some miniatures from the next set up when they come out, but I doubt I will be able to get them up as quickly as I was able to with these guys.

Also, I am trying to improve my painting in order to be able to compete in some of the contests both locally and nationally. For the most part, pieces of that nature I won't even consider selling because they're worth more to me than I would probably ever get for them... as it is, it's very hard for me to sell miniatures I've painted because of the sentimental value. The only reason I could sell these guys is that I originally bought two sets with the intention of selling one... If I only had one set, they'd be ALL mine!

Katie, have you considered commissions?

I've thought about it. I know there's a lot of painters out there that do commissions, it's not something I've ever done before (except for friends just in trade), I usually just paint for myself or for eBay. For me it's more about the time, I want to make sure if I accept commissions I can get them done in a timely fashion. I am currently working on some pieces for a contest that I want to enter on President's Day weekend. I'd be willing to accept a small commission after that.

If anyone is interested, give me a PM and we can try to work something out. I know, McCloskey, you were interested in the Hound and I shouldn't have too much trouble painting up another one similarly or in a custom color scheme for you :)

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, I have started a blog on livejournal to document my painting commissions, both for clients and anyone interested. I'm going to go into at least a little detail on how I assemble and paint these guys, so those who just might be curious about that aspect should check it out.

KatieG's weblog

Archived