Goodkind XXXII: Swedish Grandmothers Beware

Werthead

How did myth get into the storytelling tradition? The Sword of Truth series is my explanation of one way that myth became part of our world. When you read “Confessorâ€, you will understand where myth came from. It's a mind-blowing concept, and I just think it's the coolest thing ever. I don't know if anyone has ever done anything like this before.

And here I thought alternate realities were a fairly common theme in fantasy/sci-fi

There are things that have happened throughout the series that have all been working toward the final book, the conclusion of “Confessorâ€. It's kind of like foreshadowing dues ex machina: you don't realize it until later, but those things are all there for a reason. When you get to “Confessorâ€, all of those elements that have been in the back of your mind all the way are suddenly brought to the forefront, that “Confessor†is the keystone of this entire series. And you see the series in an entirely new light. All the books that you liked before, you realize the part they played in a large context, not just in Richard's life and in his struggle with the Imperial Order, but his whole world, and our whole world, and how they fit together. I just think it's the coolest thing ever. It's a jaw-dropping experience to see what happens

I can't fully appreciate these threads as I am a deathchoosing commie I only got a few pages into WFR before getting bored and doing something more worthwhile with my time (possibly slamming a car door on my head reapeatedly via an intricate system of levers and string). It's only been through this great series that I've been able to realise and appreciate the bullet* I dodged that fateful afternoon.

The word 'hero' is thrown around a lot today, but you people are the Greatest Heroes mankind has ever known. :bow:

*more like a hail of them, really.

It does amaze me that, with a completely straight face, he can say that he never reads books, and yet at the same time announce that his ideas are super original and the saviour of all literature. I mean, how f**king ignorant do you have to be not to spot the problem here?

Me, I know nothing about physics. Haven't studied it since before GCSE. But, I've got this great new theory that maybe if you plug one battery into another one, they'll keep recharging each other and you'll have unlimited energy! It will revolutionise the workd as we know it. You can thank me later.

It does amaze me that, with a completely straight face, he can say that he never reads books, and yet at the same time announce that his ideas are super original and the saviour of all literature. I mean, how f**king ignorant do you have to be not to spot the problem here?

Me, I know nothing about physics. Haven't studied it since before GCSE. But, I've got this great new theory that maybe if you plug one battery into another one, they'll keep recharging each other and you'll have unlimited energy! It will revolutionise the workd as we know it. You can thank me later.

They'll both run out of juice due to resistance and chemical breakdown within the batteries. :P Sorry to ruin it for you. Now if you spin a wheel in orbit it'll rotate indefinitely or at least for a very long time thus giving you unlimited energy which you could use to make that wheel spin some more. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3H4liC2sWg

I present to you most noble and life choosing of folks the power metal band Dragonforce, which is basically the Sword of Truth of metal.

over 90% of Dragonforce fans are people who listen to nothing but Dragonforce, and think that they are the fucking hardest metalheads to grace this planet for liking this band.

Then again i like them too, its just hilarious to see how much people get into it. The have 3 CDs, each one 8 songs long, each song a good 10 minutes of wailing-the-fuck-out on the guitar while the drums pound at a ridiciously fast pace.

And they all sound the same. Heard one song, heard them all (except for the ballads, which i find awesome :D)

also, that song is waaaaay cut down. The original is nearly ten minutes. I leave work listening to it, and it ends right as i pull up to my house.

Exactly!

For reference for how much their songs sound the same. Oh and the machine gun that serves as a drummer

Exactly! And he does this almost every single time, like with his remarks on fantasy.

You hear the advice 'to read more' from so many writers and professors, so I simply can't comprehend how a writer not be inclined to READ, dyslexia!Tairy be damned (there are audio books you can listen to, ya know). I wonder if Tairy does any research at all.

Exactly! And he does this almost every single time, like with his remarks on fantasy.

You hear the advice 'to read more' from so many writers and professors, so I simply can't comprehend how a writer not be inclined to READ, dyslexia!Tairy be damned (there are audio books you can listen to, ya know). I wonder if Tairy does any research at all.

I so very much want to have someone call him on this in an interview. Really call him on it. Too bad he won't do interviews with people who don't lick his boots.

I wonder if Tairy does any research at all.

He claims to have interviewed a real FBI agent about serial killers to make Oba, that weird psychotic character who killed his mother and, I believe, bit off the head of a rat in Pillars of Creation. (I could be misremembering this.) I always found his claims of researching serial killers amusing since most serial killers I've heard about are actually rather intelligent or else they wouldn't have been able to get away for so long. Never mind all the other inanities in the character. He's like some big idiot who goes around randomly killing people for the hell of it.

It's too bad Pat never got the chance to interview TG. I'd love to see an interview with someone who doesn't worship the ground he walks on, even if they never do totally call him out for all the BS. At least the interview wouldn't involve such groveling questions.

First time I ever read an interview with the man. Also I should say I've never read any of his books.

But what a magnificent idiot. And what a shame that the interviewer ( not Robert himself I see) is such an incredible suck-up.

This is priceless. So noble. Maybe a little too honest there Tairy.

This is the first time I've ever heard that I've been nominated for any award. I don't know what I've been nominated for, I'm...I'm completely unaware! I've heard of the Hugo Award...I don't know any other kinds. I could care less about awards.
My award is a reader opening their wallet and giving up their hard-earned money to read my stories
, and more than that, giving up their time. As I said, time is mankind's greatest value. It's the only thing you really have. When a reader gives up a part of their life to allow me to tell them a story, they're giving me something precious. That's my award.

Archived