Goodkind XXXII: Swedish Grandmothers Beware

Werthead

In the blurb, Tairy calls it "the rarest of finds". By that does he mean that it is a book that he's read?

Strangely enough, just moments ago my wife showed me some kind of study on morals (she's reading "the God Delusion") where a question was posed regarding a drowning child. The situation is: You can save the child, but your pants will be ruined. Do you still save him? 97% say yes, leaving 3% choosing their pants. Apparently to TG, the only important issue is that you have the choice. Nobody should be able to force you to choose a childs life over your pants.

The latest Goodkind interview is magical. Its like Terry was determined to prove to one and all that he is the real life incarnation of Garth Marenghi.

As I read it, I kept mentally inserting dialog from Dark Place into the interview. It was spooky how well it fit in.

For example:

I'm a born storyteller. My earliest memories are of telling myself stories. I lived with the characters from the stories in my head. When I was little I remember playing in the backyard, writing and directing plays for the other kids in the neighborhood. Just some simple kidnapping storylines or whatever. So I've always told myself stories. When I say I was "driven to write," it's not as if I felt overcome with the need to write Wizard's First Rule; I've always wanted to write. The human spirit cannot be overcome...

As a writer, if you took away my paper I would write on my heart.

If you took away my ink I’d write on the wind.

It wouldn’t be an ideal way to work.

I can't even remember the last time I read a novel. I'm probably the only author who was written more books than he's read.

In the blurb, Tairy calls it "the rarest of finds". By that does he mean that it is a book that he's read?

Strangely enough, just moments ago my wife showed me some kind of study on morals (she's reading "the God Delusion") where a question was posed regarding a drowning child. The situation is: You can save the child, but your pants will be ruined. Do you still save him? 97% say yes, leaving 3% choosing their pants. Apparently to TG, the only important issue is that you have the choice. Nobody should be able to force you to choose a childs life over your pants.

But maybe those pants were really expensive. Maybe Moses once wore those pants. Did you ever stop to think of that?

Wow that's a fun interview. I'll start off with the part where he talks about profiling.

If we can't name the enemy, how are we going to fight them? We end up frisking people at the airport and missing the real threat, because all that is, is a show for the American public so that they think that something is being done. Meanwhile, real terrorists know how to get around those things; they know how to get jobs as baggage handlers, and get onto the planes and plant bombs, and all these other things. We're diverting attention from the real problem by coming up with all these theatrics. What they're trying to do is criminalize individuals rather than name the philosophies that are responsible for those beliefs.

Apparently Goodkind has never seen the Battle of Algiers. If we focus only on men that look Middle Eastern, the terrorists will find non-Middle Eastern people to commit their attacks. Just as there are ways around airport security, there are ways around profiling. Searching Grandma's is unlikely to stop terrorist attacks, but sooner or later, if only Middle-Eastern men go through security, someone that's not Middle-Eastern, or is female, or both, is going to commit an attack, if that is what the terrorist organizations plan. As he pointed out, profiling only works when you've seen a suspect, or maybe during a short period of time. Long time profiling is not the answer, and it will only piss people off.

And you gotta love the "I don't write Fantasy". Fantasy is normally characterized by a more ancient setting with stuff such as magic, that doesn't exist in our world. Sword of Truth qualifies. All fantasy is fiction, but not all fiction is fantasy.

But the series's landscape covert art is pretty nice looking. Aside from the obligatory protagonists randomly intruding on it.

Just to avoid unnecessary confusions and to clarify things.

I didn't impersonate Terry Goodkind in that interview.

:lmao: Agulla, there's no way you could have done that interview. I think before you're halfway through, your brain would explode.

But what a magnificent idiot. And what a shame that the interviewer ( not Robert himself I see) is such an incredible suck-up.

I don't think Tairy would have agreed to the interview if he knew the interviewer would be antagonistic. Nobody seems to ask him 'hard' questions in ANY of his interviews.

But God, what would I pay to see Tairy interviewed by Stewart.

With Tairy's rant on video games, I can't help but think that the invisible reptile-man creature from the second novel bears quite the resemblance to Mortal Kombat's Reptile...

Interesting, since Richard's special move, "spine-ripping action' is similar to that of mortal combat. My mind keeps on shouting 'FATALITY!' every time

That being said though: You could simply say you needed a bypass. It's not that complicated, nor is it that uncommon these days. No need to try to build the tension by going into every detail. Ugh. And another thing, man: When you have to have heart surgery YOU AREN'T HEALTHY! Oy.

We're very happy he's better! :)

I think RJ did that already, but I guess Tairy just wanted to downplay the whole thing.

But maybe those pants were really expensive. Maybe Moses once wore those pants. Did you ever stop to think of that?

Fuck that. Moses himself would have jumped into the river, pants and all...or parted it with his staff. :lmao:

Mysh, I triple dog dare you to write a note to DAW copying the blurb on Green Rider and then the TG quote about not reading and then ask them sweetly to comment publicly... :P

Supply me with an email address and I will be more than happy to.

Sorry, but I'm too lazy to backtrack. What is this about, exactly???

No worries, if it's good I can get it to Daw Books' president, no less! ;)

By the way, no disrespect but that Q&A was the most severe case of brown-nosing I've seen in quite a while...

Patrick

To reach our Corporate Communications department, call Marilyn Ducksworth at 212-366-2563 or Dave Zimmer at 212-366-2687.

All other inquiries should be directed to [email protected], and every effort will be made to respond to your inquiry within 48 hours.

This might be the info you'd need, Mysh.

And, Pat, I'm daring Myshkin to challenge DAW with the blurbs TG has issued for Britan's Green Rider series, yet at the same time pointing out that he doesn't read. How can they put a blurb from him up? He's a lyign lair who leis! :P

I've been away from the boards for... months, and I return to find that Tairy is up to his Yeardness as usual.

But with even more than his usual vigor.

This interview is.... I had a hard time actually finishing reading it. It pained me.

How on earth can anyone hear him talk and not want to punch him in the face?

Good old objectivism...

This might be the info you'd need, Mysh.

Alright, I sent it off. Here's what it said:

Dear DAW publishing,

I have a question concerning the cover blurb on the novel "Green Rider" by author Kristen Britain. The blurb was supplied by author Terry Goodkind, and it reads, "A wonderfully captivating heroic fantasy adventure. This is the rarest of finds; a truely enjoyable read." In a recent interview Terry Goodkind remarked that he does not read fiction. To qoute: "I don't read other novels because I don't like to be distracted by how other authors do things. I find it a huge negative to read other novels; it puts things in your head of how they described things, of how they created a story, how they worked a theme, all of those things. " This interview can be found at fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com. The above qoute is not the only instance during the inteview where Mr. Goodkind claims to not read fiction. In fact over the years Mr. Goodkind has stated on many occasions that he does not read fiction. My question is this: If Terry Goodkind does not read fiction how is it that he was able to supply a blurb for the DAW novel "Green Rider"?

If they reply I will be sure to post it here.

If you choose to sacrifice, if you see someone drowning in a river and you decide to jump in and try to save them at the risk of your own life, that's perfectly fine—but you shouldn't be required to sacrifice yourself. 'Required sacrifice' is another term for 'slavery'. When you're required to sacrifice for others, that's saying that your life has no value except to serve others. Who's deciding whose life is worth more than yours? That's the state, or religion, and they're saying that you have no value as an individual; your only value is to sacrifice yourself [for the greater good].

If I'm not mistaken, Goodkind is using inductive reasoning here to support his argument. Some religions and states have not valued the individual, therefore all states and religions will not value the individual. It doesn't hold up under rigorous intellectual scrunity. Furthermore, he speaks as though unfamiliar with the concept of ethics, or its existence in the world. Taking apart his argument line by line is actually quite pointless because the starting position is based upon a set of false conclusions. The conclusion exists to serve his premise.

As for religion. My knowledge of Eastern Religions (specifically Vedic-cum-Hindu, Confucian, Shinto and Buddhist) is not what it ought to be, especially compared to my familiarity with the Three Great Western Monolithic Religions. If there is anyone here who could talk about those traditions at greater length, please do. I would love to see your thoughts as they compare and contrast with the Western Traditions. Now about those religions:

The Big Three have, if you will, built in clauses, that

Nor a history class, for that matter. What state is he talking about? What religion? The four big faiths (Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity) are predicated upon a vast number of theological concepts, some of which are, of course at times in conflict with one another. Which is why we have theologians to help us better understand them, and arguments abound over this. Never mind even Council of Nicea, look at something like the Great Schism of 1666-1667. Or the arguments that can break out between Rabbis when discussing the interpretations offered in the Mishnah over Torah law. Or how to best interpret the Sharia, Fiqh, etc.

This guy wouldn't make it out of a first year theology class alive. To say nothing of a first year ethics class.

Archived