Brandon Sanderson to Complete Wheel of Time

Ebenstone

Best of luck, Mr. Sanderson! I'm just happy that I will finally have the ending to the series that started me on epic fantasy and eventually led me to aSoIaF.

I am curious about how you are going to go about writing aMoL - will it be you writing in the spirit of RJ, or you writing in the spirit of the RJ fan, Brandon Sanderson? But I am determined to keep an open mind and just enjoy the final leg to this journey in Randland.

Don't take the fan gripes too seriously! It's not you; they'd gripe at anyone not RJ anyway. I respect RJ and Mrs. Rigney's decision, and I support you in this endeavor. I hope you have fun in the process!

And who'll start the series knowing that it ends with a book of notes?

Probably exactly the same people that start a series of already about 4,000 pages that isn't halfway yet, or one of 10,000 pages, with the final one not written yet ...

As to the choice: I've only read the prologue of Elantris (sample on site), but it comes close to Jordan in style. Better than Martin, anyway :D. Someone else already said it: this is your one big chance. Good luck with it. You'll get a lot of new readers who've never read your books (myself included).

And with Harriet as an editor, she'll probably watch over the fact whether there's enough (not too much, not too little) Jordan in it.

From the wikipedia:

"Jordan also warned that the final volume of the saga "could be a 1500-page monster" because he has so many dangling plot threads to wrap up in a single volume. He maintained that A Memory of Light would remain one volume "whether it is 1500 pages long, Tor has to invent a new binding system, or it comes with its own library cart"."

That's part of the heritage!

I wonder if it'll be a Walter M. Miller, Jr. and Terry Bisson situation when it comes to crediting the author. I suspect with the publicity, however, that Sanderson's name will appear on the dust jacket.

Interesting... I've been meaning to pick up Mistborn anyway, and now I just have to. I'll add myself to the group of people who'd rather see a finished book than just a clump of notes--though in truth, I'd rather get the book and the notes, if possible. If they published them separately, I'd probably buy them. Anyway, good luck Mr. Sanderson.

I wonder if it'll be a Walter M. Miller, Jr. and Terry Bisson situation when it comes to crediting the author. I suspect with the publicity, however, that Sanderson's name will appear on the dust jacket.

I would think that Tor would want Brandon's name somewhat prominent- this is a pretty unique opportunity for launching a "new" author.

I don't know (or care) what Goodkind's plans are, but with the end of Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth must be creating a pretty big void in their lineup.

WELL I didn't read the WHEEL OF TIME SERIES, BUT i HAVE READ Mistborn the final empire as well ad THE well of ASCENSION

AND I like his style ALOT it's very refreshing IMO

so I guess now I have to go and pick up the WOT series so i will be ready for when Sanderson writes the last book..

what are ur thoughts .??

. think it might be worth the read.? do you like sanderson's books and think he will do WOT some justice

oh and sorry if this has been asked before I looked and couldn't find anything ..

Sorry for disappearing on you last week. Book tour had me swamped. Let's answer a few of these.

1) Naming. I'd happily have done it ala the Silmarillion, with no credit, but Harriet insisted that they offer me cover credit. And, of course, I'd much have it that way--though it does put the pressure on even more strongly. Anyway, the one who posted the huge Robert Jordan name with a little teeny Brandon Sanderson name probably has it right--and that's the way it should be.

2) Chataya, I understand completely. I appreciate your understanding tone. As I read through the WoT again, however, I realize how much Mr. Jordan's style influenced my own. I do some things differently, but those were mostly conscious stylistic decisions--and that means they can be reversed.

I maintain that I think it would be wrong to strive for a dead-on Jordan impersonation. However, I'm certainly going to do things HIS way when I can. I really think I can do a blend of my style with his that will be virtually unnoticeable. It helps a lot that his notes were so detailed.

Mr. Sanderson, this is a bit off-topic but anyway...

I've learned that you have a draft of your novel Warbreaker freely available on your website. I'm interested in taking a look at it, as I have never read anything by you beyound the sample chapters of Elantris (which were intresting). The problem is, I can't get to Warbreaker since I don't have Flash. I don't have flash because I'm on 64-bit Linux (the way of the future! :D) and there simply isn't a 64-bit version of Flash for any operating system. Okay, so I could to the trouble of installing a precompiled 32-bit Firefox (which by the way is not my favorite browser - Konqueror is, but you can't get it precompiled for 32-bit Gentoo Linux) and 32-bit Flash and use the 32-bit emulation layer just to see a functioning version of your site, but I don't want to. And anyway, I really hate Flash to the point of boycotting it.

I can't think of any reason to make navigation elements in Flash. You can do surprisingly much by using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) and static pictures along with your html. If you really want to get fancy there's always Javascript, but I'd argue even that isn't really necessary. Flash is a proprietary piece of processor-hogging nonstandard that is mainly used by advertisers to make their advertisements as annoying as possible. IMHO the Internet is not a television and should therefore not move or make sound unless commanded by the user. (I have set animated gifs on run-once too. Thanks Konqueror for ridding me of that flickering nuisance!)

I hope I didn't sound too harsh. I just wanted to see Warbreaker and was disappointed by how much your website had deteriorated since Elantris. :thumbsdown: You may have noticed that I have strong feelings about Flash, but usually when a site depends on it I just leave and never come back. This is the first time I was invested enough to complain about it.

- Nerdanel (the computer geek who posted the huge Robert Jordan name with a little teeny Brandon Sanderson name)

Warbreaker Mark 3 (and a half)

I'm in the middle of reading this at the moment, and it's pretty good so far. Distinctive characters, interesting plot, colorful setting (excuse the pun). Granted, it's not deeply engaging or thought-provoking, and it took me a while to get into it, but Warbreaker is nonetheless good light fantasy.

On a somewhat related note, I'm revising my original statement about Brandon being an odd choice. Reading Warbreaker has made me realize that this man has, much like Robert Jordan, a strange obsession with dresses and related fashion. The choice makes so much more sense to me now...

Thanks for the link, diabloblanco18! :)

(A Microsoft Word document? Good thing people have reverse engineered the format or I wouldn't be able to open the file at all. Though, while it works, the filter is amazingly slow on a modern dual-core machine. I'm so going to resave the document in a better supported format after it finishes opening and compare file size and opening time. Closed "standards" suck.)

Warbreaker Mark 3 (and a half)

I'm in the middle of reading this at the moment, and it's pretty good so far. Distinctive characters, interesting plot, colorful setting (excuse the pun). Granted, it's not deeply engaging or thought-provoking, and it took me a while to get into it, but Warbreaker is nonetheless good light fantasy.

On a somewhat related note, I'm revising my original statement about Brandon being an odd choice. Reading Warbreaker has made me realize that this man has, much like Robert Jordan, a strange obsession with dresses and related fashion. The choice makes so much more sense to me now...

I think he'll do fine with WoT, personally, after reading through Warbreaker that you linked to.

Either way I won't be reading the novel. Robert Jordan was a terrible writer by my standards, and Warbreaker has far too much room for improvement for me to believe that the writer took his work critically and seriously (I mean no offense to you, Brandon, many writers are creators. Crafting and polishing are two very different art forms, and while a writer may be adept at the concepts, he may lack the mastery of technique and nuances of structure, prose, and the more craft-esque elements of writing)

I do, however, think many people will enjoy your Warbreaker novel, and your work on WoT.

Best of luck to you and your writing career!

• 3 weeks later...

Unless I've gone very blind (always a possibility) I don't think I saw a topic about this on the boards, it seems Brandon Sanderson has being chosen to finish off Memories of Light.

Heres a link to an interview with him from Dragonmount

Brandon

Archived