Petyr like English Peter (GRRM[4]), but RD: [pɪ'tʌɪə]

Targaryen [ta'gɛ:rɪən] or [ta'ga:rɪən]

Tyrion ['tɪrɪən]

Tywin ['tʌɪwɪn]

Viserys [vɪ'sɛ:rɪs]

Uploading UTF-8 seems to work fine. Now let’s see if we can edit it as well:

Asshai [a'ʃʌɪ]

Edited by Happy Ent

MH, interesting. But for me it displays perfectly. (So the <i>coding</i> is fine.) What is displayed there are IPA symbols for pronunciation, which may not be available in the fontset you are using. (I assume you are sitting on a Windows box. IE does an abysmal job of switching to the proper fontset when needed. Windows actually ships with fontsets that include IPA, but IE won't automatically switch to them. Hence the boxes.) Do me a favour and try Firefox as well. (Of course, I have no idea how the font fetching engine under Firefox on Windows works, so it may be no improvement.)

On a Mac, these things just work.

Anyway, here are some UTF-8 encoded symbols for your that are sure to be in the fontset you use (because they are found in the standard Windows codepage):

Right single quote: ’

Left single quote: ‘

Left double quote: “

Right double quote: â€

Try to compose a new message where you quote these lines and then save that. Currently the four letters cannot be encoded in ISO-latin 1, because they aren't part of that standard. They sure as hell aren't encoded using the Windows codepage. So my guess is that the editor uploads UTF-8 or some home-grown format (because my own previous test worked). The exciting this is if that will be preserved by somebody who edits that encoding on a Windows box. (My own web browsers handle it fine.)

By the way, the "quick" editor on this board didn't work, and broke the encoding. (IPA symbols in, garbage out.)

GH, try to stress-test it by replying to my article and including the IPA-bits as a quote. (This would force the system to de-code and re-code if the implementation is sufficiently stupid.)

Anyway, we can conclude that uploading UTF-8 works. Displaying on the the client machine is a font selection issue and has nothing to do with this board. Good news.

Let’s see how this new board handles UTF-8:

Arya ['É‘Ërɪə], like English aria

Baratheon [bə'rʌθɪən]

Catelyn ['katlɪn]

Cersei ['sə:sɪ]

Daenerys [deɪ'nɛ:rɪs]

Jaime ['dʒeɪmɪ]

Jojen ['dʒəʊdʒən]

Jon ['dÊ’É’n], like English John

Petyr like English Peter (GRRM[4]), but RD: [pɪ'tʌɪə]

Targaryen [ta'gɛ:rɪən] or [ta'ga:rɪən]

Tyrion ['tɪrɪən]