Westeros Total War: Lite

Inactive User

----Pre-Alpha overall aims----

Working grand campaign

A basis for the inactive modders of Westeros: Total War to pick up for if they every come back

----Details----

- a map of Westeros that stops just short of the Wall. Scripting a Wildlings faction and making a Wall model for the campaign mapA lot of research on the terrain types and the trade resources has already been done (just check the various threads at the Westeros site).

- 8 or 9 factions (Arryn, Tully, Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Baratheon, Martell, Tyrell and maybe Targaryen).

- Custom banners

- all units come from the vanilla game, they will just need light reskins and new names and descriptions

- 45-50 regions

- portraits for some family members (can come from Amoka's art)

- Custom loading screens, quotes from aSoIaF

----Faction List----

-House Martell

Spanish / Moorish influence - strong desert troops

Easily defendable starting location

-House Lannister

Richest faction

-House Tyrell

Very. Chivalric.

French influence - lots of cavaliers, paladins, chivalric knights etc.

-House Baratheon of Storm's End (Renly) / House Baratheon of the Narrow Sea (Stannis)

HRE Influence

Heavy Infantry, Heavy Swordsmen

Stannis has a large navy, Renly has Storm's End

-House Stark

Scottish influence - Northern troops

Largest amount of territory

-House Greyjoy

Viking influence - lots of ships and axe-wielding troops

Naval dominance

-House Tully

English or French influence. Lots of knights and also archers.

Best farmlands

-House Arryn

French influence - lots of knights

Easily defendable location

-House Targaryen

may be added when work on the initial mod is done

----Resources----

-Amoka (contact me if you want these pictures, I have a large set) and Morano's (http://www.morano.pl/) artwork for the series

-Westeros Forums (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=24)

----Team----

Stormbringer951

Gampie

Hellfell(?)

Battledrumz(?)

cheqmate(?)

Aeoleron9

----Things to Do----

1. Create map. We need a decent map maker please!

Create list of quotes

Write faction descriptions

Lite reskin of units

Write biography / personality for some famous characters

Robb Stark (Stark)

Roose Bolton (Stark)

Renly Baratheon (Baratheon-Tyrell)

Mace Tyrell (Baratheon-Tyrell)

Loras Tyrell (Baratheon-Tyrell)

Tywin Lannister (Lannister)

Tyrion Lannister (Lannister)

Jaime Lannister (Lannister)

Stannis Baratheon (Baratheon-Narrow Sea)

Axell Florent (Baratheon-Narrow Sea)

Brynden Blackfish (Tully)

Edmure Tully (Tully)

Asha Greyjoy (Greyjoy)

Balon Greyjoy (Greyjoy)

Doran Martell (Martell)

Oberyn Martell (Martell)

Beric Dondarrion (Rebel)

Harrold Hardnyg (Arryn)

Bronze Yohn Royce (Arryn)

----Things Done----

Loading Screens (Drachen)

----Things to Decide----

When to begin?

a) End of aGoT (before Jaime Lannister's capture)

B) After Renly's Death (removes the need for two Baratheon factions)

Anyone want to join, please PM me. (note: I am not a modder as such, we just need to keep this mod together). This mod needs coders, a few skinners and some experts on aSoIaF. Thank you. There is a parallel thread on aSoIaF forums (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=25181). Anyone wanting a signature can get one here (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/stormbringer_951/?action=view&current=Westeros-sig.jpg)

Stormbringer out.

This sounds very manageable if you can get enough people with the skillz involved. Over the past 5 years I've watched a dozen or so mods for the TW games and how they progressed. The ones that work either have a hefty amount of resources and very skilled people working on them, or they keep it manageable. The way you suggest sounds like it would work. We're blessed with M2TW in having the units as medieval units anyway, which cuts out one of the most difficult parts of any mod. A couple more suggestions would be :-

- Absolutely agree with keeping the Targs out for the moment.

- Keep the unit descriptions minimal for the first release.

- Only use portraits for the key characters. No point getting distracting for the first release with all the minor characters.

I would love to be involved if i'd had any skillz in modding at all. However i don't. None at all. And my knowledge of the books is fairly minimal compared to most here. Happy to give opinions and possibly beta test it though

If I have time after schoolwork, playing medieval I total war, and making my warcraft III ASOIAF map...so in short, unless I turn out to somehow have a great natural understanding of Medieval II modding, I'd probably be only able to help with descriptions. But I'll take a look at map-making if no one else who knows how to do it turns up.

House Stark, the lords of Winterfell and the North, are among the oldest and most powerful of the Westerosi nobles. Known for their honor and ferocity in battle, the lords of the North have held sway over their great territory for thousands of years of years. For over six millennia, the Starks ruled in their frozen kingdom as the Kings in the North, despite fierce opposition from both the subordinate Northern lords and the unfriendly kings to the south. With the unconquerable fortress of Moat Caitlin as a bulwark against the South, the Starks proved immune to all threats, until the coming of Aegon the Conqueror, first king of Westeros. After the decimation of the armies of three of the greatest Southern kings on the Field of Fire, Torrhen Stark, the last King in the North, bent the knee to House Targaryen, securing the place as Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North for his descendants under the Targaryen Kings.

However, even a bond so strong as that between the descendents of Brandon the Builder and the Dragon Kings could not last forever, and all was shattered by Robert’s Rebellion, some fifteen years ago, when Rhaegar Targaryen, heir to the Throne, kidnapped Lyanna Stark, prompting the murder of Lord Rickard Stark and his eldest son Brandon. Eddard Stark, along with Houses Arryn, Tulley, Baratheon and, eventually, Lannister, rose up against the Targaryens under the leadership of Robert Baratheon. Eddard Stark and his Northern soldiers formed a crucial part of the rebel force, acting often as Robert’s vanguard. After the defeat of House Targaryen and the crowning of Robert Baratheon, house Stark regained it’s position as the lords of Winterfell and the Wardens of the North. Lord Eddard was wed to the eldest daughter of Hoster Tully, Catelyn, and the current generation of House Stark began.

As the end of King Robert’s reign approached, Lord Eddard was appointed the Hand of the king, despite the enmity existing between the Lannisters, family of the Queen, and House Stark. After King Robert’s death and the crowning of his son, Lord Eddard was arrested and imprisoned by the forces of House Lannister. Now, it falls to his wife and children to lead the forces of the North to war once again. Without the guidance of his father and mentor, Robb Stark must lead the men of the north to victory. Untested, untried and unbloodied, the new lord of Winterfell will need to display great wisdom and courage to have any hope of defeating the forces arrayed against him. Driven by honor, duty and the cry for independence, the armies of the North once again march to war. Will House Stark be able to once more assert it’s dominance and reclaim their places as the rightful Kings in the North, or will their young leader falter under the pressures of command and lead his House down the path to ruin?

With a strong defensive position against the armies of the South and the greatest territory of any of the Houses, the forces of the new King in the North have a good chance of standing their own, but with treacherous lords plotting their downfall and the merciless raiders of the Iron Islands laying in wait just on the edge of their borders, it will take only the slightest hint of weakness to bring the Starks to the ground. Only by remaining firm and facing down all of their foes can the forces of House Stark hope to defend their lands and reclaim the title that Torrhen forfeited hundreds of years ago.

Well, what do you think? It's just a rough draft, and can certainly use some editing, but am I missing anything important? Anything you'd like me to add?

This just came into my inbox on a PM from Aeleoron9

I'd advice against making it all from scratch again, since the old mod was already playable, just not completed. Basically here's how the mod's like when we started hibernating. The map is basically done, with the wall like in the old screenshots. The houses based on original factions are on the map, the characters are all in, and on my build I could play the grand camapign just fine. But it's just a skeleton of the original game and needs alot of fleshing out, and that's what we should focus on.

Things not yet completed in the old build:

Map-concerned issues; resources, events, turn/year etc. This is the core of the whole mod, and AFAIK was all Marcus' territory.

Faction details; description, heraldries and interface artwork, character portraits and traits

Diplomacy, another hastle of codes and tuning

Battle stuff; we had a mostly complete unit roster along with rebels and mercs. We might not be able to get them all reskinned but at least we need new unit names and descriptions.

and other details like the guilds, the ancillaries, special events and so on. Tis alot of work to remake an entire campaign. Following the 'Lite' direction, though, maybe you or someone in charge should pick a few features to concentrate on in each build. If we could keep updating both here and TWC, hopefully we'll bring more attention and people beta-testing for us.

Daedalus that's a great draft, we can probably copy-paste it right into the mod :thumbsup: You don't have to write such long descriptions though, 1 or 2 paragraphs are already very adequate. It'll start getting VERY tedious if you write that long a description for every faction!:P

Also note that with the planning of the mod, the game begins with a random event that decides Eddard's fate at the hands of Joffery, so it's best not to talk about anything after the man's death in faction descriptions or any descriptions at all.

Daedalus that's a great draft, we can probably copy-paste it right into the mod :thumbsup: You don't have to write such long descriptions though, 1 or 2 paragraphs are already very adequate. It'll start getting VERY tedious if you write that long a description for every faction!:P

Also note that with the planning of the mod, the game begins with a random event that decides Eddard's fate at the hands of Joffery, so it's best not to talk about anything after the man's death in faction descriptions or any descriptions at all.

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I'll edit it down, cut out anything mentioning Eddard's death and such. I don't plan to make such long descriptions for all of the factions (House Baratheon is going to be a bitch, I tell you), but being that Stark is my #1 House... :)

Anyways, I'll do the edit now, then next up will be the House Arryn or Tully descriptions.

Finally: I feel that the first thing we should be doing is putting unit lists together and releasing a factions-only build of the mod, playable in the custom game screen. This way, we can let people (such as me) do the faction balance playtesting while the modders work on the actual campaign. Creating balanced armies which are as accurate to the books as possible should be our priority, rather than armies that are absolutely loyal to the books but unbalanced as hell.

House Stark, the lords of Winterfell and the North, are among the oldest and most powerful of the Westerosi nobles. Known for their honor and ferocity in battle, the lords of the North have held sway over their great territory for thousands of years. For over six millennia, the Starks ruled as the Kings in the North, despite fierce opposition from both the subordinate Northern lords and the unfriendly kings to the south. With the unconquerable fortress of Moat Caitlin as a bulwark against the South, the Starks proved immune to all threats, until the coming of Aegon the Conqueror, first king of Westeros. After the decimation of the armies of three of the greatest Southern kings on the Field of Fire, Torrhen Stark, the last King in the North, bent the knee to House Targaryen, securing the place as Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North for his descendants under the Targaryen Kings.

However, even a bond so strong as that between the descendents of Brandon the Builder and the Dragon Kings could not last forever and all was shattered by Robert’s Rebellion some fifteen years ago, when Rhaegar Targaryen, heir to the Throne, kidnapped Lyanna Stark and prompted the murder of Lord Rickard Stark and his eldest son Brandon. Eddard Stark, along with Houses Arryn, Tulley, Baratheon and, eventually, Lannister, rose up against the Targaryens under the leadership of Robert Baratheon. Stark and his Northern soldiers formed a crucial part of the rebel force, acting often as Robert’s vanguard. After the defeat of House Targaryen and the crowning of Robert Baratheon, house Stark regained their position as the lords of Winterfell and the Wardens of the North. Lord Eddard was wed to the eldest daughter of Hoster Tully, Catelyn, and the current generation of House Stark began.

As the end of King Robert’s reign approached, Lord Eddard was appointed the Hand of the king despite the enmity existing between the Lannisters, family of the Queen, and Starks. After King Robert’s death and the crowning of his son, Lord Eddard was arrested and imprisoned by the forces of House Lannister. Now, it falls to his wife and children to lead the forces of the North to war once again. Without the guidance of his father and mentor, Robb Stark must lead the men of the north to victory. Untested, untried and unbloodied, the new lord of Winterfell will need to display great wisdom and courage to have any hope of defeating the forces arrayed against him. Driven by honor, duty and the cry for independence, the armies of the North once again march to war. Will House Stark be able to once more assert their dominance and reclaim their places as the rightful Kings in the North, or will their young leader falter under the pressures of command and lead his House down the path to ruin?

With a strong defensive position against the armies of the South and the greatest territory of any of the Houses, the forces of the new King in the North have a good chance of standing their own, but with treacherous lords plotting their downfall and the merciless raiders of the Iron Islands laying in wait just on the edge of their borders, it will take only the slightest hint of weakness to bring the Starks to their doom. Only by remaining firm and facing down all of their foes can the forces of House Stark hope to defend their lands and reclaim the title that Torrhen forfeited hundreds of years ago.

Basically, after looking at it again I realized that it actually never made mention of Eddard's death, merely his imprisonment. Since presumably things would have happened like this either way (and it would make for a boring mod if the Starks decided they didn't want to go to war), I kept that part in.

Also: I based the length of the summary on the faction summaries present in M2:TW vanilla, which are also roughly 4 paragraphs. This one is almost exactly the same size as that for England, so take that as you will.

----Pre-Alpha overall aims----

Working grand campaign

A basis for the inactive modders of Westeros: Total War to pick up for if they every come back

----Details----

- a map of Westeros that stops just short of the Wall. Scripting a Wildlings faction and making a Wall model for the campaign mapA lot of research on the terrain types and the trade resources has already been done (just check the various threads at the Westeros site).

- 8 or 9 factions (Arryn, Tully, Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Baratheon, Martell, Tyrell and maybe Targaryen).

- Custom banners

- all units come from the vanilla game, they will just need light reskins and new names and descriptions

- 45-50 regions

- portraits for some family members (can come from Amoka's art)

- Custom loading screens, quotes from aSoIaF

----Faction List----

-House Martell

Spanish / Moorish influence - strong desert troops

Easily defendable starting location

-House Lannister

Richest faction

-House Tyrell

Very. Chivalric.

French influence - lots of cavaliers, paladins, chivalric knights etc.

-House Baratheon of Storm's End (Renly) / House Baratheon of the Narrow Sea (Stannis)

HRE Influence

Heavy Infantry, Heavy Swordsmen

Stannis has a large navy, Renly has Storm's End

-House Stark

Scottish influence - Northern troops

Largest amount of territory

-House Greyjoy

Viking influence - lots of ships and axe-wielding troops

Naval dominance

-House Tully

English or French influence. Lots of knights and also archers.

Best farmlands

-House Arryn

French influence - lots of knights

Easily defendable location

-House Targaryen

may be added when work on the initial mod is done

----Resources----

-Amoka (contact me if you want these pictures, I have a large set) and Morano's (http://www.morano.pl/) artwork for the series

-Westeros Forums (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showforum=24)

----Team----

Stormbringer951

Gampie

Hellfell(?)

Battledrumz(?)

cheqmate(?)

Aeoleron9

----Things to Do----

1. Create map. We need a decent map maker please!

Create list of quotes

Write faction descriptions

Lite reskin of units

Write biography / personality for some famous characters

Robb Stark (Stark)

Roose Bolton (Stark)

Renly Baratheon (Baratheon-Tyrell)

Mace Tyrell (Baratheon-Tyrell)

Loras Tyrell (Baratheon-Tyrell)

Tywin Lannister (Lannister)

Tyrion Lannister (Lannister)

Jaime Lannister (Lannister)

Stannis Baratheon (Baratheon-Narrow Sea)

Axell Florent (Baratheon-Narrow Sea)

Brynden Blackfish (Tully)

Edmure Tully (Tully)

Asha Greyjoy (Greyjoy)

Balon Greyjoy (Greyjoy)

Doran Martell (Martell)

Oberyn Martell (Martell)

Beric Dondarrion (Rebel)

Harrold Hardnyg (Arryn)

Bronze Yohn Royce (Arryn)

----Things Done----

Loading Screens (Drachen)

----Things to Decide----

When to begin?

a) End of aGoT (before Jaime Lannister's capture)

B) After Renly's Death (removes the need for two Baratheon factions)

Anyone want to join, please PM me. (note: I am not a modder as such, we just need to keep this mod together). This mod needs coders, a few skinners and some experts on aSoIaF. Thank you. There is a parallel thread on aSoIaF forums (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?showtopic=25181). Anyone wanting a signature can get one here (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/stormbringer_951/?action=view&current=Westeros-sig.jpg)

Stormbringer out.

This sounds really amazing and I would love to help out in any way that I could, although I know little and nothing about modding games. Is there any way an unskilled computer person could help?

Archived