Westeros Total War: Lite

Inactive User

The more I see the more I need to play this mod.

The Broken men label was just an idea. The rebel labels could be replaced and still make some sense (rebels spread as enemy armies enter the region and the hapinees goes down) but wouldn't have the flavour of Septon Meribald description. Anyways, it's just a minor feature, the important ones are advancing and that are good news. ;)

Indeed, this is really looking up. I only wish I could do more to help.

Gampie: Nothing particularly great or awe-inspiring. I was a minor beta tester for the Real Battles mod, which turned out decently (I only made two bug reports, unfortunately), I was around for much of an (unfortunately, pointless) effort to utterly redesign the diplomacy (notice- this is where I learned that player-defined rebel spawns is impossible), and I helped bounce ideas, occasionally, for a couple of old editions of the SS mod. Basically, the only one I was seriously involved in was Perfect Diplomacy, which failed miserably due to coding issues. Namely, our coders got a headache and gave up. Made me a bit of a realist as far as modding this game goes. You know, it's funny, but I've helped work on, in one way or another, over 10 mods for different games in the last 6 years, and I have only the most basic of coding skills, largely useless in the grand scheme of things. I really need to learn to do more than edit production lists.

I had one question. If we cannot upgrade and castle, town, city, etc. Then will the population get out of control? Because if a small town's population gets too big, it will be a pain to manage due to the negative effect that has on town order. Just wonderig if anythig can be done to offset that effect.

I love the idea of not converting the settlements, but the population might be an issue.

Well, in the interest of loyalty to the books, I think you have to look at King's Landing and realise that overcrowding is part and parcel of Westeros life, and there is no real way to counter it. It happens, it has a hugely negative effect, but still it continues.

Well, in the interest of loyalty to the books, I think you have to look at King's Landing and realise that overcrowding is part and parcel of Westeros life, and there is no real way to counter it. It happens, it has a hugely negative effect, but still it continues.

Yeah, its just going to be a pain to keep control of some of those overcrowded areas.

Well I guess exterminating newly taken populations will have to do. :/

I had one question. If we cannot upgrade and castle, town, city, etc. Then will the population get out of control? Because if a small town's population gets too big, it will be a pain to manage due to the negative effect that has on town order. Just wonderig if anythig can be done to offset that effect.

I love the idea of not converting the settlements, but the population might be an issue.

Do not worry, this issue can be solved easily. The settlements can be set to hold a maximum amount of people (unless you upgrade but that will be disabled). For instance if I set the pop limit of a large city at 20 000 then Lannisport will never contain more than 20 000 people.

Furthermore the attributes of the various buildings can be edited to boost their public order bonus (temples, council chambers, etc.). I will settle this matter when the mod is in beta testing.

Well, in the interest of loyalty to the books, [...] It happens, it has a hugely negative effect, but still it continues.
Exactly. That's a reason not to change too much to the vanilla system.

1.When will it be done

2.Will Salladhor Saan be included into the Stannis faction as an admiral/general?

3.Are you thinking of making an expansion that will have the 9 free citiest?

1. It will certainly be released this year (2008). I aim to finish a beta version in July (since I have exams in May-June). I have no idea how long the beta testing will take.

2. That's funny. A week ago I added some ancillaries to the game and I was wondering whether to add Sallador or not. He could be an ancillary but I doubt his loyalty to Stannis. On the other hand he could serve as an admiral. I think I'll stick with that: make him some high ranking admiral.

3. I do not have any such plans for the moment. Considering the facts that we do not possess an official map of the Free Cities and that we hardly know anything about their military composition I do not deem it feasible to include them in the mod. And it would be a TON of work to make them.

@ Daeda: seems like you're a guy who likes to engage in various projects. Cool!

Sorry to disappoint you but this mod is for Medieval 2: Total War (notice the better graphics). I hope you have that game as well!

You don't need the expansion (Kingdoms).

No I do not sir, but I will gladly buy it when this mod is completed.

How many signatures would we need to make that happen?

About 60 bazillion, each pomising to buy a copy of the game if it happens. Seriously, no publisher, ever, would give money to a modder. Ever. Except Valve, they kick ass at hiring good modders. (See- Counterstrike.)

Note to self- Valve rocks.

Thanks for answering the questions Gampie...Could I possibly be a tester for the beta version when it comes out???

Maybe I shouldn't do this, but...

This isn't a retail realease. From the sounds of things, you probably don't have a lot of experience with modding, but 99.99% of all mods are completely open betas. They upload the beta of the mod somewhere, everyone who wants it downloads it, and then everyone sends back input on how to balance the game and reports any bugs/glitches they find. It's by far the best way to do it, since it gives the modders a much larger player base than possible with any sort of closed beta. I think that, considering Gampie's singehanded work on this mod, there's no doubt that it will be an open release (and, very likely, multiple open releases before we can really declare it finished).

Gampie, I've developed something of a concern for family members and generals in this mod. The fact is that to keep true to the books, it's absolutely necessary to keep the turn lengths to no longer than a month, which means that new family members will be coming in at a rate of roughly one per 50 or 60 turns, which certainly will not deal with losses incurred in battle and from assassins. Obviously the more important lords from vassal houses will be included, but the fact is that due to M2:TW's system of virtually never letting a general be captured, all of the factions will need to either start with an absurd number of generals to ensure that there will be enough to last through the campaign, or there has to be some way to slow down general death in combat. Do you know if it's possible to reverse captures and kills as far as generals are concerned? That they'll be killed if running away and captured if taken down while fighting?

Obviously the more important lords from vassal houses will be included, but the fact is that due to M2:TW's system of virtually never letting a general be captured, all of the factions will need to either start with an absurd number of generals to ensure that there will be enough to last through the campaign, or there has to be some way to slow down general death in combat. Do you know if it's possible to reverse captures and kills as far as generals are concerned? That they'll be killed if running away and captured if taken down while fighting?

Are you sure about this? I think I've been payed for ramson a general, twice I'd say. What I don't remember right now is if they were heroes under other general command. Another way to minimize their casualities would be increasing their numbers raising the chances of getting a promoted knight or general. But I don't know if this is posible.

Oh, and now I think about it... what happens when the king/faction leader dies? Would his heir receive the crown or the best general will do?

For the Generals issue, i noticed an interesting thing the other week.

In manage settlement section (place where you can build stuff from), there's an option that says automanage/recruit which is greyed out. Still, you can change the setting and manage settlements and recruit people without a general.

(Sorry about the horrible prose - it's late and I'm tired.)

Archived