Charlie Huston

Larry.

I just finished all 5 Joe Pitt novels in 4 days, yeh i'm a fan. I've no further praise to add that hasn't already been covered so I thought I might mention my pet peeve of the series,

namely Joe's constant 'worming' out of confrontations with Terry & Predo. I think they may have been about to kill him over 20 times (no exaggeration) in the series before he's either rescued or able to convince them it is in their best interests not to lay waste to him.

Surprised there hasn't been any discussion on book 5, what did everyone think of it?

I liked book 5. I think Huston did a great job in wrapping up the story, and resolving or at least touching on, most of the characters fates. The explanation for the Vyrus didn't bother me, but I didn't really care either way (and I'm sure it bugged some people)

I was expecting Joe to die at the end, so I was pleasantly surprised he made it out alive. I had this feeling the series would end with Joe stepping into the daylight.

Also? Hurley. How can you not love Hurley.

Surprised there hasn't been any discussion on book 5, what did everyone think of it?

A LOT of us read it right when it came out, and there was a fair bit of discussion about it in that month's reading thread.

I absolutely loved it. Huston really knows how to complete a series. The middle section drug out a little long, but everything else was pretty nice.

You should probably spoiler Joe's fate.

:agree:

Also could anyone explain the wraith to me?

As in, did it ever exist or was it just Joe all along that froze the Horde father? And if so how does that work with the 'scentless' trail in Already Dead?

Yeah, the wraith was my one other complaint. I didn't care for it in Already Dead and it was even more ambiguous in My Dead Body... maybe it will make sense when I finally reread them.

I loved the last book, I thought it was a perfect way to end the series. Like Brady, I expected the ending to be somewhat different but it didn't bother me one bit to see the way it really ended.

The wraith was my only issue with the series too. I'm not planning a reread any time soon but like REG said, maybe it will make more sense then.

Just finished Sleepless and thought it was excellent. I always describe Huston to my friends as what doing crack must be like: You eagerly await getting it, consume it when it's first available and then spend the time after finishing waiting for the next hit.

So, I immediately went to his site to check what's next in line for him and was really saddened to see that there will be no new books for two years. Hopefully he'll continue working in comics so I can get my Huston fix, but he definitely deserves a break.

• 5 months later...

I have recently read the last 3 books of the Joe Pitt saga (having read the numbers 1 and 2 when they first appeared) and IMHO it was a huge letdown after the brilliant Henry Thompson trilogy. Awful female characters, tons of heavy-handed ethnic stereotyping, very unconvincing plot-lines, wimpy ending... Meh.

Archived