Charlie Huston

Larry.

Thanks kmgrey. OK, so we don't learn anything about the Bulls and Bears? I suppose it doesn't really matter, it's just that the evocative name caught my attention. Maybe it's a New York in-joke or something.

I'm just reading the first Joe Pitt book but if you look at the map of the clans I believe the bulls and bears are down in the wall street district. So it's a joke about being bullish or bearish on the market I would guess or possibly a joke about stock traders being vampires.

Looks like the 5th and final book is really due ina few months, September in the US, December in the UK.

Really? Oh man, that's awesome. I'll be sad that the series (and, yeah, probably Joe) is coming to an end, but I really want to see how.

Read Already Dead a few months ago and liked it quite a bit, but due to lack of funds (or rather, a ton of other books to buy) I haven't been able to read the others. So, I decided to dust off my library card and am looking forward to reading the next two (my library sucks, I am surprised they even have the second and third one... especially since they don't have the first).

• 4 weeks later...

After reading Already Dead, I went ahead and ordered the other 3 books already out. Read them all over the course of a week or so. I'm really loving this series. Though I don't think any of the books have managed to hit the heights of the first one, I just can't find it in me to be critical, because I enjoy them so damn much.

One of the things I love is that Joe's actions have real repercussions. Some rather ugly ones, sometimes. I also like the way things get progressively worse for Joe with each new book, ending with;

SPOILER: Every Last Drop

... Joe having to live in the sewers.

On his blog, Huston said the last book will be 'apocalyptic'. :wideeyed: So I'm really looking forward to it. I've got a feeling that we might get a bit of an ambiguous end for Joe though. Maybe something like, the story ends with Joe walking into the sunlight, or somesuch.

• 5 weeks later...

I read Already Dead on The Brady's rec, very good. Only complaints were that it was very much a classic noir that happened to have vampires in it....which is something I love/hate. You just kinda know where things are going because of all the tropes, thats the only downside. Otherwise, great stuff.

The bookstore I bought that book at didn't have the other Joe Pitt books, but they had Caught Stealing, which sounded interesting to me. The book is basically another take on the "innocent man gets caught up in some really bad shit" genre, but Huston spins the story skillfully. The flavor of the descriptions and convos and NYC is dead on, and I think perhaps I enjoyed the book more because it is not set in a fantastical world. Huston didn't have to set up the backdrop as in the Pitt books, its NYC, real world, so you know the deal, and he's free to concentrate on the characters and dialogue. I'm really glad I picked that up, I really enjoyed that book, even more than Already Dead. I picked up the sequels Six Bad Things and A Dangerous Man. Can't wait to read them.

I'm even getting used to and enjoying his non-use of quotation marks. It makes the dialogue seem more...cinematic?

So, thanks Brady. I'm really glad to have found Huston. He's one of those authors you find, that you just know you'll enjoy all his books. I like his style and attitude. I'm sure I'll even read that other one he wrote about the guy that cleans up crime scenes.

So, thanks Brady. I'm really glad to have found Huston. He's one of those authors you find, that you just know you'll enjoy all his books. I like his style and attitude. I'm sure I'll even read that other one he wrote about the guy that cleans up crime scenes.

If you liked Caught Stealing you'll really like The Mystic Art of Erasing All Signs of Death. Same Charlie Huston but even better writing.

• 3 months later...

I like Huston, but I've found (so far) that I like his series' less, the longer they go on. The first two Joe Pitt books were great, but I thought the second two were unfocused, muddled and less interesting. Same thing goes for the Hank Thompson books. Actually, only the first Hank Thompson book really worked for me.

Of everything I've read of his, Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death is probably the best. Just because he manages to go a bit deeper and lose some of the genre tropes that tend to eventually dominate his other two series.

That being said, everything he writes is incredibly readable. And I'm sure I'll be reading the last Joe Pitt book, despite my opinion that the last two lacked any real purpose.

But once that's done? I wouldn't mind it all if Charlie only wrote well-realized standalones like Mystic Arts. That was a solid read without ever turning the lead character into a noir or action movie stereotype.

I like Huston, but I've found (so far) that I like his series' less, the longer they go on. The first two Joe Pitt books were great, but I thought the second two were unfocused, muddled and less interesting. Same thing goes for the Hank Thompson books. Actually, only the first Hank Thompson book really worked for me.

Of everything I've read of his, Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death is probably the best. Just because he manages to go a bit deeper and lose some of the genre tropes that tend to eventually dominate his other two series.

That being said, everything he writes is incredibly readable. And I'm sure I'll be reading the last Joe Pitt book, despite my opinion that the last two lacked any real purpose.

But once that's done? I wouldn't mind it all if Charlie only wrote well-realized standalones like Mystic Arts. That was a solid read without ever turning the lead character into a noir or action movie stereotype.

I haven't read his Hank Thompson novels, but I have read a few of the Pitt books as well as Mystic Arts and Shotgun Rule and I have to say that his standalones really are far superior. I can't wait to get my hands on Sleepless come January.

• 4 months later...

I just finished up his latest book, Sleepless. It's great if a bit different from his usual fair. It's still a crime story at it's heart, but it's also apocalyptic sci fi. And depressing as hell. This is a book that should get a lot more attention than I imagine it will. (full review)

Charlie was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.

Well this sucks

And I am realizing that even if I start writing today, I will not publish a new novel for at least two years.

And I am not starting to write a new novel today.

Huston deserves a break, after the pace he's been keeping, but it's still disappointing.

Hopefully Mystic Art is picked up by HBO, because that would be the shit! (and it would help ease the pain from no novels for 2+ years)

I saw the same link posted in some blog last night and I was really disappointed. but the man is entitled to it. It's better for a writer to take a break from writing for a while than be forced to put out a book a year regardless of quality.

yeah - you probably saw the link on my blog. It's ashame, but 11 books in 6 years would wear anyone out. He talked a bit about this at the signing I went to and more in the video interview over at BSC Review. The next book he plans on working on is a 'not sequel' to Sleepless. It isn't set in the same world and doesn't have any of the same characters, but apparently the due to the subject matter Huston views it as a companion. He also may try his hand at fantasy at some point - he wants to, he's just not sure when.

Archived