Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Triskele

Why no constant Bakker thread?

I have cut down significantly on my thread starting. But here's the deal. I came to Prince of Nothing about 9 months ago. I think it's mind-blowing. Why are we not still disussing it? I understand that many of you had long and drawn out talks before my time but why are they not still going? Speak!

I have cut down significantly on my thread starting. But here's the deal. I came to Prince of Nothing about 9 months ago. I think it's mind-blowing. Why are we not still disussing it? I understand that many of you had long and drawn out talks before my time but why are they not still going? Speak!

Because it takes less mental energy to mock than to meticulously deconstruct?

Seriously tho, the previous Bakker threads are pretty damn insightful, and once Aspect Emperor (and/or Neuropath) hit the shelves, I expect there will be more consistant activity around here. Some won't agree, but I think Bakker is probably our greatest living fantasy author -- GRRM is a better storyteller, but Bakker has depth that only Wolfe and a (very) few others reach.

Bakker is my favorite and most respected author, so I'll second the notion.

Yes. More. *sinister voice*

The guy wrote not about entities summoned that were capable of burning things, he wrote about the essence of burning itself. He should burn many for their insubordinance.

Why no constant Bakker thread? Maybe he's just not that good. Or maybe not many people enjoy him. Or maybe just maybe his threads have slipped to page 2 and beyond. Maybe a little bit of searching can help you bump it.

Or maybe you'd have better luck on a board specifically for Bakker ...?

As much as I love Dune, his sequels were too disappointing to deserve a thread.

Because the only book worth talking about is 'God Emperor of dune' and you are all too stupid to get that one.

Because the only book worth talking about is 'God Emperor of dune' and you are all too stupid to get that one.

No, I immensely enjoyed the later sequels, it's just that I wish Dune Messiah and Children of Dune had gotten AIDS and died early on in the writing process.

I just wish that Frank Herbert had the prose to back up his ideas.

No, I immensely enjoyed the later sequels, it's just that I wish Dune Messiah and Children of Dune had gotten AIDS and died early on in the writing process.

They were indeed sucklyish.

I just wish that Frank Herbert had the prose to back up his ideas.

Expecting good prose from Herbert is like expecting intelligence from J.K. Rowling. Ain't going to happen.

Herbert's ideas make up for it in my mind, though.

Expecting good prose from Herbert is like expecting intelligence from J.K. Rowling. Ain't going to happen.

Herbert's ideas make up for it in my mind, though.

Agreed. That's why I still read the books. But I think it definitely holds the books back.

Yeah, there's no doubt the books would've been superior if Herbert had Bakker's skill in prose, for example, but oh well. Frank Herbert is too busy spinning in his grave every time his son decides to write another sequel.

Yeah, there's no doubt the books would've been superior if Herbert had Bakker's skill in prose, for example, but oh well. Frank Herbert is too busy spinning in his grave every time his son decides to write another sequel.

Magnets. Generate Power. You know the joke.

Semi-spoilerish for those who haven't read Dune.

As for Herberts ideas, I had issues with one of them. That a people bred and raised under rough conditions would automatically equal a force so elite as to have no remote equal and to threaten galactic stability? I'm sure you can make fine soldiers out of them with time and training, but jesus...enough to get a galactic emperor shitting his pants and justify expending loads of resources and threatening the existing feudal order? A bit much to swallow. As is shieldless nomads with knifes whooping the shit out of elite stormtroopers with advanced technology. (talking the earlier battles, pre-worm)

I just couldn't buy it.