Galway Eurocommie Meet 25-27 April!

Werthead

There doesn't seem to be a bus service between Galway and its own airport yet (double-checks calendar to note that it is indeed the 21st Century), and a taxi one-way into the middle of town will be around €15.

:lol: Oh wow. It really is a small airport but I would have thought there would be some sort of bus service.

The Aer Arann website works for me too strangely.

Williamjm, that map does seem to be accurate. But those flights to Europe don't start till May (and actually go via Waterford).

And ok, ignoring Monsoons, I'll see you people in the Aran Islands. :P

Hah, I am sure I have seen with my own eyes more than one bus a day arriving from Galway Airport, are you sure that it doesn't just stop at a different part of town ? Eyre Square and the bus station are listed as separate stops but the bus station is really the train station, the two stops are less than 25 metres from each other and the bus hardly ever stops at the former. :wideeyed:

Howsoever, I can do a run in my car on both thursday or friday before 6pm. I can fit 4 people in my car, but I think some folks are arriving into Knock and I may need to go there. If a taxi is only E15 then surely folks can deal with that. When we have a better picture of who is arriving when we can make arrangement.

Niamh - yeah wicked. I totally recognise that going to the Aran Isles is your idea :)

- Coach tours in Ireland can be a nightmare in that busses often take much longer than scheduled to, and one spends a whole day in a coach. I suggest hiring a car to do stuff like this if you want to.

I have provisionally booked the Ti na Nóg bar for friday evening. As it is free to book, groovy central, open til 1am and has a back to the 80's disco on from 10pm <ahttp://forum-test.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> They can provide grub at a nominal price per head. AND they even have a sofa of Sean.

OK ?

that sounds cool, hon.

I'm just gonna stick my twopennorth in here: May I suggest that any wilds/island visiting is done on the Friday? Bear in mind that on the Saturday you'll more than likely have a hangover and it might be nice to see some of Galway on that day. YMMV.

N

that sounds cool, hon.

I'm just gonna stick my twopennorth in here: May I suggest that any wilds/island visiting is done on the Friday? Bear in mind that on the Saturday you'll more than likely have a hangover and it might be nice to see some of Galway on that day. YMMV.

N

Glad you like it :)

There's the market on Saturday, full of hippy stuff and Celtic arts and crafts work. As I live here I am not so bovved about seeing Galway, we always end up in a pub anyway. Luckily here in Galway the streets are lined with pubs - I'll even show you where they aren't trying to fleece Brits and Americans :pirate: I don't mind which day we go - I have a good few of the reenactment group staying til they go off down to Cork sunday :cheers: All bets are especially off as I will have finished my exams that week :thumbsup:

eta - what does YMMV mean ?

Nice work Mel T!! :thumbsup:

Have you hired the place or have you just reseved entry for us?

Not bothered when you go to the Arans, as we will amuse ourselves around Galway until you return if you go on saterday day and if ye decide to stay late, we can alway head back to Mayo, so no biggy.

Would suggest the friday day if fri night is to be a heavy one, as hungover boat rides are never fun. :P

Starting to get excited about this now!! :wideeyed:

We have the upstairs for our own use from 7pm onwards, then from 10pm the DJ is on. The way the nice nordy barman put it was, we can't technically stop folks from going up there, but then if we have been drinking since 7pm, folks might not want to. So. yeah. we got the upstairs.

They will provide a finger food buffet - simple but handy for about E5 a head , which at the mo is the cost, unless we want other stuff but with the DJ - I reckon it's sorted :thumbsup:

This is provisionally booked for friday night. Once I get the OK from some folks I will confirm it.

Yeah, friday emerges as best day to go to Aran I reckon - prolly wasn't clear.

I am excited too :)

Yes, sounds like we should schedule the Aran Islands for Friday. Most people that sounded enthuastic about the trip will be arriving Thursday, so that's ok.

There were a few others interested but since Saturday will be the most popular day, it makes sense that we schedule something for the whole group then (or at least, not split up for as long as a trip to the islands would take).

We have the upstairs for our own use from 7pm onwards, then from 10pm the DJ is on. The way the nice nordy barman put it was, we can't technically stop folks from going up there, but then if we have been drinking since 7pm, folks might not want to. So. yeah. we got the upstairs.

They will provide a finger food buffet - simple but handy for about E5 a head , which at the mo is the cost, unless we want other stuff but with the DJ - I reckon it's sorted :thumbsup:

This is provisionally booked for friday night. Once I get the OK from some folks I will confirm it.

Yeah, friday emerges as best day to go to Aran I reckon - prolly wasn't clear.

I am excited too :)

Sweet, I'm up for whatever.

E5 per head seems like a great deal to me.

I just booked my flight from Luton to Galway, getting in at 16.35 on the Friday and leaving Monday lunchtime. :D
I just booked mine too. Reckon I'm probably on the same flights as you. GUTTED! (you're gutted, I mean). *pinches Slick's cheeks* :D

Thanks MelT :) I was looking at the photos as I usually do - thinking 'aw - that looks really great, pity I won't be able to make it...' then I realised - 'But I AM going to make it!' - just so excited, really looking forward to seeing everyone and going to Ireland for the first time :D

W00tarama. Happy posts.

There is an added bonus to the spirally chic Ti Na Nóg :) No, not the groovy giant fishtank behind the bar, but it's cunning location in the pedestrian lanes. It's a short amble from the Keys and Spanish Arch. A particularly pretty spot, where there are green areas for sitting and sipping or whatever and watching the sunset over the Atlantic. Lush :smoking:

I am optimistic because it was gloriously sunny today, for the fist time in about 4 months - it was like Ragnarok ending. Here's hoping we get sun for the weekend.

As to Saturday, how's about we go to a traditional music session ? The Crane bar is a great venue with some of the best diddley dee you are going to hear in Ireland, quality Guinness and a million people packed into the place. Last time I saw a man playing a fiddle in female banjo player's armpit. Tell me you are going to see that anywhere else ...

A couple of hours of that will prolly do the job, at which point we could either pubcrawl our way around the town or just pile a club and get large(er), my man in the DJ society at uni is sussing out likely do's for me. Or do we need another place organised for Saturday night ? "Cos now is the time folks. Places get booked up from now on.

Thanks for all the efforts Mel. Sounds great. :)

About the Aran Islands. Perhaps Sunday might be a better idea? I know people might be recovering from Saturday night but we don't have to leave too early. And we will be on summer time by then, so the days wouldn't be short. So plenty of daytime.

Its just that I may have miscalculated the number of people around Friday afternoon. I don't mind either way, just that a few more people might make it Sunday compared to Friday. :)

About the Aran Islands. Perhaps Sunday might be a better idea? I know people might be recovering from Saturday night but we don't have to leave too early. And we will be on summer time by then, so the days wouldn't be short. So plenty of daytime.

I second this! Since I won't be able to go if it happens on Friday. :leaving:

Archived