2008 College Football

Rhom

OSU #1? I could care less how many people they have coming back. No way they should be #1. Top 5 maybe, but not #1. UGA brings back just as many, and I think most people would say they were better then OSU at the end of the season.

I have to agree here. I know theres a lot of guys returning, but theyve shit the bed in the big one two years straight. I think they should have to earn that spot next year. (I know they did this year, but the bed-shitting part is key here)

I don't really know what to think about WVU. I feel really good about the new staff but I don't know how easy it'll be to be banging on all cylinders in time for Auburn.

we're breaking in two new coordinators so it may be a moot point, SJ. word is that pitt's defensive coordinator has been offered our DC position.

Pitt's DC is good news for you all, he stuffed our run game all night. Why we didn't thrown the ball downfield in that game will probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

Pitt's DC is good news for you all, he stuffed our run game all night. Why we didn't thrown the ball downfield in that game will probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

hopefully it translates well to the players we have...tubs said there won't be much change, but we'll see...(if you recall, tubs was jimmy johnson's DC at miami)

and i feel your pain, SJ :lol: tubs has at least one game a year that makes me wanna keel over on the spot.

OSU #1? I could care less how many people they have coming back. No way they should be #1. Top 5 maybe, but not #1. UGA brings back just as many, and I think most people would say they were better then OSU at the end of the season.

Someone has to be #1 :dunno: - with USC in the schedule for week 2 we'll know if they are contenders or pretenders right off the bat. If they beat USC at home- people are going to have a hard time arguing the point when the other top teams have victories over UC Santa Barbara and Army at that point.

edit: changed Navy to Army, they didn't deserve that treatment.

Someone has to be #1 :dunno: - with USC in the schedule for week 2 we'll know if they are contenders or pretenders right off the bat. If they beat USC at home- people are going to have a hard time arguing the point when the other top teams have victories over UC Santa Barbara and Navy at that point.

:agree:

that's gonna be an awesome, awesome game.

Notre Dame's top notch recruiting class and only a #45 ranking? I mean their ship almost has to be righted with the talented they got coming in. And the fact that they're not really losing that much. (Not that what they had this year didn't leave a steaming pile of horseshit on every field they touched)

And until someone proves otherwise, the Big 10 blows goats. I will no longer get my hopes up that they might actually put on a respectable showing against other 'real' major conferences. I arbitrarily demote all of them until one of them wins the title.

Notre Dame's top notch recruiting class and only a #45 ranking? I mean their ship almost has to be righted with the talented they got coming in. And the fact that they're not really losing that much. (Not that what they had this year didn't leave a steaming pile of horseshit on every field they touched)

And until someone proves otherwise, the Big 10 blows goats. I will no longer get my hopes up that they might actually put on a respectable showing against other 'real' major conferences. I arbitrarily demote all of them until one of them wins the title.

well, that's weird...rivals.com has them as the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country :dunno:

True- it has been five years. We're due. Better conferences like the PAC10 have 1.5 since then, Big 12 has 1, and the SEC has 2.5.

I spoke with someone who recently lost his job working for the governor here in Kentucky with the recent gubernatorial switch of election day. You WVU fans will appreciate what he had to say about when he left his office to be taken over by the other party.

He said that when asked about any missing/destroyed files... he is to respond "What files are missing?" (For any of you people slow to catch on... the implication is that the new owner of the office will be unable to identify what files aren't there... because they aren't there!)

I spoke with someone who recently lost his job working for the governor here in Kentucky with the recent gubernatorial switch of election day. You WVU fans will appreciate what he had to say about when he left his office to be taken over by the other party.

He said that when asked about any missing/destroyed files... he is to respond "What files are missing?" (For any of you people slow to catch on... the implication is that the new owner of the office will be unable to identify what files aren't there... because they aren't there!)

Yeah that whole thing is a mess and I just want it to stop. Heres a couple of good articles on it:

Yahoo Sports

Charleston (WV) Gazette

This one most closely describes my feelings on it:

Surprisingly, it's from the Ann Arbor News

I follow the main BCS stuff with some interest, but as can be seen my any of my college football posts my one true passion is the Buffalo Bulls and they are the only team I can claim to be any sort of expert on.

So my big prediction for Buffalo next season is 6-6, 2nd place in MAC East, and 3rd in the MAC overall, qualifying us for a bowl game, our first ever, which we will lose in a hard fought battle.

Overly optimistic? Probably. But combine the facts that last season at 5-7 was our best Division 1 mark ever, Turner Gill is back, and so is something like all but 7 of our starters including Drew Willy in his final season who has shown amazing growth as a QB since Gill came in and our star RB (star by MAC standards anyway) is still around and is past his first season as a starter. So I see the future as bright.

Also helping is that unlike most seasons where we have 3 road games against ranked or nearly ranked teams, I believe we only have 1. Which means only 1 sure loss instead of 3, and also shows that the top dogs no longer think we're cupcakes; and more like some sort of delicious apple pie.

BU-FF-AL-OOOO GO! GO GO BUFFALO!

ETA: After looking at Scout.com I see that we actually only lost 4 starters, my bad. Also that ranking of 97th is by far the best we've ever had. I know 97th would probably be low enough for fans of some teams to consider suicide, but when one realizes we've never been past the bottom 3 then it can be seen how big a boost this is.

Yep, Notre Dame is #1 at Rivals, #3 at ESPN, with three 5-star prospects (According to rivals anyway, QB, WR, and TE) and around a dozen 4 stars. They've got 10 ESPN top 150 prospects (Beaten only by Miami with 11) and they're definitely one of the major recruiting stories since they managed all of this while having arguably the most abysmal season in the history of the school. Its enough to give me some hope.

Also to add that they're #1 at Scout.com as well.

Edit: Wooo Hooo! They've also got Mike Golic Jr. (only a 3 star, but what the hell) coming to Notre Dame. Now they're fricken unstoppable. Love that guy. (The Sr. anyway. We'll see about the jr.)

Yes, they should be awesome with a bunch of guys returning from a team that went 3-9. :stunned: #45 is probably generous, if you want my honest opinion. Because I truly don't think they're in the top 50% of college football teams. I couldn't care less what someone's recruiting class is ranked. Ask Al Groh and UVA - several years of "Top 10" recruiting classes, and they are decidedly average. Are recruiting rankings totally meaningless? No - because you can correlate the highly ranked classes at such places like USC and Texas and so forth to their success on the field. However, it's a known fact that high school players get their "stars" bumped up just because certain teams are recruiting them. In other words, take the same exact class that USC is recruiting and put them all at Western Michigan - the class isn't going to rank as high. The whole recruiting process is a little silly.

And even if (and that's a big IF) Notre Dame is getting a bunch of high school phenoms that will be good down the road - it's the rare true freshman that contributes significantly to a team's success. I don't expect much more out of ND than they did last year, and the book is still out on Weiss in my opinion.

Yes, they should be awesome with a bunch of guys returning from a team that went 3-9. :stunned: #45 is probably generous, if you want my honest opinion. Because I truly don't think they're in the top 50% of college football teams. I couldn't care less what someone's recruiting class is ranked. Ask Al Groh and UVA - several years of "Top 10" recruiting classes, and they are decidedly average. Are recruiting rankings totally meaningless? No - because you can correlate the highly ranked classes at such places like USC and Texas and so forth to their success on the field. However, it's a known fact that high school players get their "stars" bumped up just because certain teams are recruiting them. In other words, take the same exact class that USC is recruiting and put them all at Western Michigan - the class isn't going to rank as high. The whole recruiting process is a little silly.

And even if (and that's a big IF) Notre Dame is getting a bunch of high school phenoms that will be good down the road - it's the rare true freshman that contributes significantly to a team's success. I don't expect much more out of ND than they did last year, and the book is still out on Weiss in my opinion.

I agree. I've been wrong before but I would be absolutely shocked if Notre Dame is any better than 6-6, 7-5 next year. Still, thats an improvement and ND will get a bowl out of 6 wins no problem. Hell, at 6 wins we might have to free up a BCS spot for them.

So, VT is ranked #17, which I probably can't complain about at this point. We lose a ton off of defense, although with Bud Foster at the helm, we seem to be at the point where we reload instead of rebuild on defense. Still it will be hard to replace Vince Hall and Xavier Adibi at LB. Both of our All-ACC/American junior cornerbacks also declared for the draft, however Macho Harris switched his mind and decided to come back, so that's good.

On offense, we lose 4(!) senior wide receivers, who combined for probably 80+% of our receptions this year. And the rest of the receptions were by RBs and TEs. So that'll be rough. However, we have a 2nd player who declared for the draft changing his mind and coming back, and that's RB Branden Ore. He was off this year compared to last, but he was injured much of the time, so hopefully he has a monster senior year. We have both his backups returning, as well as 2 kids who redshirted this year, and we just got a commitment from one of the top RBs in the country (though see my post above about true freshman contributing) - so we should be loaded at RB. Our Achilles heel on offense this year, the O-line, should be leaps and bounds better as we'll now have experience and depth, which should help. The big question will be whether we continue the rotating QBs of Sean Glennon and Tyrod Taylor, which seemed to work awesomely right up until the Orange Bowl. It'll be hard not to have a 5th year senior (Glennon) named the starter, especially if the O-line play improves as expected. On the other hand, it'll be hard to "waste" a talent like Taylor's on a 2nd year of spot duty. I guess they could redshirt him this year, but that horse seems to have left the barn at this point.

The other factor in the Hokie's favor is the schedule. No LSU's on this year schedule, which seems pretty weak - and as I said in the other thread, never in a million years would I have thought a schedule where we played AT Miami, FSU and Nebraska to be "weak". With the ACC being fairly weak, VT should be the favorite in the Coastal Division at least, although I'm guessing Clemson will be the pre-season favorite to win the ACC.

Archived