2008 College Football

Rhom

Hahaha, I know about idiot boosters firsthand. And that losing streak makes Penn States losing streak to us seem like nothing.

Except that Florida doesn't play Miami every year. It may be a 23 "year" losing streak, but they've played maybe 6 or 7 times during that period.

New top 25 list for next year out on ESPN. Looks like the SEC remains the class of college football with UGA in particular holding the top spot. Suprising that there is no Michigan team in the Top 25. Arizona State at 10 and South Carolina in the poll at all are some other teams that jumped out at me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...&id=3240529

New top 25 list for next year out on ESPN. Looks like the SEC remains the class of college football with UGA in particular holding the top spot. Suprising that there is no Michigan team in the Top 25. Arizona State at 10 and South Carolina in the poll at all are some other teams that jumped out at me.

I'll take #11. I don't think we're a Top-10 team to start the season off, but we could shape into one by the end of the season, and we have a schedule to help us ease into things. I think the ACC is Clemson's to lose, and given their recent history...they probably will (lose it, that is).

These rankings are a joke. On D WVU loses 3-4 starters which have been replaced with at least 2 experienced 4 star Juco guys. On O we lost Slaton, who didnt really do much last year, and Schmitt. Devine will start at RB, and we got another 4 star RB to line up with him in the backfield. Pat White will remain Pat White. So yea, we're going to have essentially the same team. I don't really care becuase WVU plays better as the underdog, and this is just some pundits opinion, but #20 is a slap in the face. BYU is ranked ahead of us for Christ sake.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/s...burst_0213.html

The NCAA just can't leave this shit alone. I don't know how they expect giving teams more time per play is going to result in more plays, because it is pretty clearly going to do the opposite. Maybe they are trying to emulate the NFL viewing experience where I get to see one truck commercial for every play in the game. They gave coaches another challenge too. So I hope we're all real excited to receive our meager ration of football next fall.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/s...burst_0213.html

The NCAA just can't leave this shit alone. I don't know how they expect giving teams more time per play is going to result in more plays, because it is pretty clearly going to do the opposite. Maybe they are trying to emulate the NFL viewing experience where I get to see one truck commercial for every play in the game. They gave coaches another challenge too. So I hope we're all real excited to receive our meager ration of football next fall.

When will people realize that many fans like college ball becuase of the fact that it is not like the NFL, not in spite of it?

Anyway, who'd have thought the NCAA rules chairman coached at Bridgewater College?

I am not all that against this rule. There are many times I am yelling at the ref to place the ball....place the ball....place the ball. I do not think you will see a drop in plays like a few years ago. If you think about it, it probably takes about 40 seconds from end to play to next play now. Some of those refs take forever to place the ball.

I think eliminating the 5 yard face mask is wrong. I do not like the 5 yard sideline infration change. The ref can call it or warn them. That will cause issues. Do not give them the option. It should either be a penalty first go around or a warning.

I am not all that against this rule. There are many times I am yelling at the ref to place the ball....place the ball....place the ball. I do not think you will see a drop in plays like a few years ago. If you think about it, it probably takes about 40 seconds from end to play to next play now. Some of those refs take forever to place the ball.

If thats the problem, then the solution is to train the refs until they get it right and place the ball promptly. Not change the rules to make up for refs slack.

I hope your right though. I still expect to see less plays and more downtime.

After a player runs out of bounds and the ball is made ready to play, the official will start the game clock. Under the old rules the game clock would not start until the ball was snapped. This new rule will not apply in the final two minutes of the first half and the final two minutes of the game.

This is the rule that I have a problem with. This will take away plays. This is worse then the changes of a few years ago. This is stupid. Why can they not make one change at a time. See if the 40 second rule works. If not, continue with others.

As far as getting the refs to place the ball quicker....it is not that easy. Balls bounce away. Players take their time getting up. You have to unpile players. The 40 seconds eliminates all that. I think it add consistency to the flow of the game.

After a player runs out of bounds and the ball is made ready to play, the official will start the game clock. Under the old rules the game clock would not start until the ball was snapped. This new rule will not apply in the final two minutes of the first half and the final two minutes of the game.

That is a terrible rule change. I can already see myself screaming at the officials to hurry up 'cause the clock is running. I can't believe someone thought putting clock management in the hands of the officials was a good idea.

i'll take #16...it's a little lower than i think we deserve but with 2 new coordinators and an unproven quaterback..it makes sense.

That is a terrible rule change. I can already see myself screaming at the officials to hurry up 'cause the clock is running. I can't believe someone thought putting clock management in the hands of the officials was a good idea.

:agree:

this and the abolition of the 5 yd. facemask rule are total bollocks...i haven't read over the entire article yet, though...i'm sure i'll hate the rest of it too :mad:

ETA: okay i've read it and, yes, i've more gripes...i call bullshit on no warning for sideline infractions and placing the ball at the 40 on a kick out of bounds...i can just see all the play action bombs on 1st down and probably 2nd as well. however, horse collaring being a personal foul is ok by me.

Another concern with the the 40 second rule is that it will increase the amount of times teams choose to take a knee. By increasing the amount of time they can run off by taking a knee, it makes the move more effective. It's still a somewhat embarrassing call. Don't get me wrong, I would take a knee every time it helped, but I don't think we need to change the rules so that it happens more often.

Another concern with the the 40 second rule is that it will increase the amount of times teams choose to take a knee. By increasing the amount of time they can run off by taking a knee, it makes the move more effective. It's still a somewhat embarrassing call. Don't get me wrong, I would take a knee every time it helped, but I don't think we need to change the rules so that it happens more often.

Good point. As if the Victory formation wasnt already heartbreaking enough for a team within reach... lets drag it out.

Agree with the above about the rule changes. I don't think the committee uses a "How will a coach use this rule change to his advantage" approach to making rule changes, which could save them some trouble, or at least help refine the rules better.

In other news, LSU will play App. State. I like the direction the big powers are taking, even though LSU should still be heavily favored. It's progress compared to some of the schedules from a few years ago.

Ahhh yeah. Nothing is more reassuring that all is normal in the world than knowing where your team fits in the pantheon of college football.

Rivals Mailbag:

Trivia Question

What team from a BCS conference has gone the longest since a bowl victory? (Answer at the end of the column.)

As soon as a I read the question, I knew. Without knowing. Know what I mean?

I'm excited about Stanford for next season (too bad I'm graduating and probably not sticking around to see it :( ) but it sounds like Harbaugh actually managed to land a top flight QB (Andrew Luck) to groom, so that should be fun to watch (albeit, that's probably 2-3 years from now, but whatever). It's also comforting that the aforementioned QB got the Bill Walsh stamp of approval, apparently, before he passed-- as a fan of NorCal football, there's nothing that I'd rather hear than that about an incoming QB.

Taking into account that we'll probably only really miss a couple of guys graduating from this year's squad (Mark Bradford who made the big TD catch against USC that was replayed over and over and Nick Sanchez who intercepted the pass that sealed the Cal victory), that the team will be in its second year under Harbaugh and working with the new defensive scheme installed last year, that we'll be getting our most talented RB (Gerhart) back from injury, and that last year's freshmen were looking pretty good by the end of the season and this year's crop looks like it's at least as talented, I'm pretty enthused. Heck, we're even getting back maybe our best defensive lineman, Sione Fua, who will be returning from his Mormon mission a year early. Fua was absolutely dominating the spring practices I saw last year-- and against guys who went on to have quite solid years for Stanford along the OL (which is returning plenty of good vets too, by the way).

So yeah, I'm psyched. Bowl game? For the first time in a long time, I really don't think it's out of the question. There's no question Harbaugh has got his kids to buy in, but what I'm impressed with is that after a horrible decade filled with losing, no one on the team I've spoken with is in the least bit satisfied with a season that included wins over SC and Cal because they only won four games. The fact that before the season, anyone outside their locker room would have thought four wins for the Cardinal would be a miraculous season is completely irrelevant to them. I really love the "nothing to lose" attitude Harbaugh has managed to infuse in his guys for game day, but that he's tempered that with the kind of expectations for winning the guys on the squad seem to have is remarkable to me.

Long story short, thank God the old AD, Ted Leland, decided to pack his bags for the UoP, and the new AD, Bowlsby, had the wisdom to go for a guy who was a bit untested but otherwise had it all. Go Card, go!

Okay. I think the trauma of bowl season has passed, at least enough to enjoy looking ahead now. Signing day has helped turn the wheel.

Anyway, belated congrats to all the winners. Coming to mind.. USC, LSU, WVA and Michigan. :)

• 1 month later...

Archived