First still of the Enterprise from "Star Trek"

Rhom

Enterprise

A lot of noise was made on the net a few months back that the ole NCC-1701 wouldn't look like the lovely lady we all know and love. From this still (it comes from the official trailer attached to Cloverfield) I'd say I'm at least okay with the look of the ship. How I'll feel about the rest of the movie remains to be seen.

Must resist urge to photoshop something....

I'm in favor. You can use stills from the sauna scene in So NoTorious or the hotel scene from season 2 of Heroes.....you know, if you were looking for his shirtless screen time. I am sure you can all see the thought bubbles above my head now.

Enterprise

A lot of noise was made on the net a few months back that the ole NCC-1701 wouldn't look like the lovely lady we all know and love. From this still (it comes from the official trailer attached to Cloverfield) I'd say I'm at least okay with the look of the ship. How I'll feel about the rest of the movie remains to be seen.

Yeah, I saw that a day or so ago. I'm no Trekkie, so my question is - when was the Enterprise built compared to when Kirk took command? Weren't there at least two captains prior to Kirk - Pike and .... April(?). If so, how would building the Enterprise fit in with Kirk taking command? I suppose they could be retrofitting it or something like that.

The original USS Enterprise was launched in 2245, about twenty years before Kirk took command.

It's mildly depressing that I didn't even have to look that up.

As for the 'being built' thing, I gather that the idea of the trailer is that it's a metaphor for the new Star Trek film being built/shot at the moment. As I undertand it, the Enterprise itself is not under construction during the movie.

Or you could just go up two posts and click on the link in Kay's post and see it for free ;)

maybe they thought I was trying to trick them into watching that sauna scene. It is something I would do, but the link happens to actually be trailer for Star Trek.

I'm not a Star Trek fan at all but that trailer really made me want to see the film, along with Abrams' great reputation. Does anyone know roughly what the story is about? Who do they meet, is that known?

I'm not a Star Trek fan at all but that trailer really made me want to see the film, along with Abrams' great reputation. Does anyone know roughly what the story is about? Who do they meet, is that known?

Eric Bana is the bad guy, which is also a major plus in my book for the movie.

As far as is known:

SPOILER: Star Trek
There is some kind of threat in the 'present-day' Star Trek universe (the time frame of TNG, DS9 and Voyager) which involves travelling back in time some 120 years to Kirk's first mission on the Enterprise. The present-day Ambassador Spock has to time-travel or send some kind of message back to his younger self to cope with this threat. The Romulans may be involved.

Apparently the time travel shenanigans create a 'parallel history' version of Star Trek history. The writers decided to do this because it means that they're not shackled to existing Trek canon. However, the 'proper' Trek continuity still exists in the same multiverse and can still be mined for ideas.

AICN posted a very different storyline which focuses on Kirk's time at the Academy, including revealing how he beat the Kobayashi Maru test, and then jumps forward to him in command of the Enterprise. However, this story has been called a load of BS by the scriptwriters.

Eric Bana is the bad guy, which is also a major plus in my book for the movie.

As far as is known:

SPOILER: Star Trek
There is some kind of threat in the 'present-day' Star Trek universe (the time frame of TNG, DS9 and Voyager) which involves travelling back in time some 120 years to Kirk's first mission on the Enterprise. The present-day Ambassador Spock has to time-travel or send some kind of message back to his younger self to cope with this threat. The Romulans may be involved.

Apparently the time travel shenanigans create a 'parallel history' version of Star Trek history. The writers decided to do this because it means that they're not shackled to existing Trek canon. However, the 'proper' Trek continuity still exists in the same multiverse and can still be mined for ideas.

AICN posted a very different storyline which focuses on Kirk's time at the Academy, including revealing how he beat the Kobayashi Maru test, and then jumps forward to him in command of the Enterprise. However, this story has been called a load of BS by the scriptwriters.

I'm dubious of that plotine. If it's so bad that Spock has to screw up the time line then doesnt that mean the 'original' time line is about to get pwned?

And how is that one change going to radically change everything? Guess I'll just have to wait and see but I'd have preferred them just to do a BSG rather than have some dodgy alternate timeline. V'Ger will still be on course for Earth, as will the Probe, how are they going to explain one change in the timeline altering that? The Borg and the Dominion are so far away that any change in the Apha/Beta quadrant shoudltn affect them.

Archived