BwB London

Peregrinus

Oh, so you suggest a meet and then expect to bugger off right after the 'exciting' bit is over. I see how you are. :P

And thank you, darlings, for the offer. That would be handy. :) But don't worry if you end up somewhere else I will hunt you down and stab you find you all somehow.

Oh, so you suggest a meet and then expect to bugger off right after the 'exciting' bit is over. I see how you are.

Actually people who know me will know this is EXACTLY how I am. A bit of a character failing on my part. I shall try my damndest to stay as long as possible but at some point I'll have to dash of early on in the evening. Unfortunately, leaving early, is my thing. Its what I do. :blush:

Actually people who know me will know this is EXACTLY how I am. A bit of a character failing on my part. I shall try my damndest to stay as long as possible but at some point I'll have to dash of early on in the evening. Unfortunately, leaving early, is my thing. Its what I do. :blush:

As long as you're Costanza-like about it, and leave on a high note. :)

I'll take down the details but I probably won't get to this, as I'm staying with my mother the night before and after Eastercon and unless I can get extra days off work to stay longer with her, she'll be miffed if I then disappear for the short time I am actually staying with her :unsure:

Whereabouts will you be staying? Can you just sneak out for a bit?

Tufnell Park, on the Northern Line.

I'll know my work schedule more nearer the time: possible I might be able to take an extra day off, dunno. :-/

I finish class at 1 on Thursday, so I better figure out how to get to London on the same day (aka, book flight/train/whatever) :)

Looking forward to seeing y'all again, in case I didn't say that yet :)

The train will probably take about 5 hours, so you might be able to make it to the end of the book signing. Flying might work slightly better, although it depends on the timing of the flights.

I finish class at 1 on Thursday, so I better figure out how to get to London on the same day (aka, book flight/train/whatever) :)

Looking forward to seeing y'all again, in case I didn't say that yet :)

Flights look iffy. The earliest flight from Prestwick to Stansted departs at 5.35 and lands at 6.15 or thereabouts. Factor in getting out of the airport, travel time to London and arsing around on the tube, and it could be 7.30-8 before you'd meet up with the rest of us. You could be better off getting the train. I only checked Ryanair though, so other operators may have better times.

Obviously we wouldn't dream of suggesting you cut classes and get the earlier 10am flight ;)

Train-wise, things are also pretty tough. There's one leaving Glasgow Central at 12.50 and getting into London at 5.15 which seems the best alternative, although obviously you'd have to skip out of lessons early. Hmm.

Yeah, I think Mo should bunk off, cos she's already top of the class anyway. Want us to give you an emergency call RIGHT before your first class starts? That brings back good memories of 'rescuing' people from late shifts on Fridays... :lol:

ARGH! Smiley menu confusion! Why is different on my laptop and my Mac? And yet on other invision boards it's the same on both. Cannot compute.

Want us to give you an emergency call RIGHT before your first class starts? That brings back good memories of 'rescuing' people from late shifts on Fridays... :lol:

Unless Universities have been getting stricter since I left, they won't really take any notice if their students don't turn up (unless it's an assessment, obviously). If students are paying to be there, it seems reasonable that they chose when to attend - not that skipping classes is necessarily a good idea.

Well, they actually tried to introduce a register of sorts for lectures on my masters last semester. Being of the 'I pay, I choose' mindset I really dug my heels in over this one, asking what the point of it was... they seem to have forgotten all about it this semester. While I think it IS my right to decide whether to attend or not, I also know that they can legitimately get arsey with you about it if they want to. Most students will probably find there is something in their handbooks that says good attendance is compulsory.

On my undergrad they drew parallels between attendance and grades, with lots of flashy graphs showing that people who have poor attendance don't get good grades/pass. I think that's all relative really. I have a long history of bunking off and it's not really done me that much harm academically. And it wasn't isn't to do with not wanting to learn, but rather not being able to stand being stuck in a room with annoying people any longer.

Bottom line is, responsible bunking off is fine.

I didn't pay and I still skipped classes :P
Well, when I say I pay, I actually mean my employers. :D They've funded about £6000 worth of my education so far, with another £4000 for my current course. I see this as some small recompense for my taxes!

As mentioned earlier, I'll arrive pretty late on Thursday, but once I'm settled in the hotel I'll make a call to whomever I'd expect to be less drunkmore sober. Given that I'm staying out at Heathrow I have to take into consideration such little details as "how to get back to the hotel" before deciding to go downtown.

If I should miss out on Thursday, I hope that those still in the area that aren't going to Orbital, would consider meeting up later in the weekend (for instance after the football match on Saturday).

Obviously we wouldn't dream of suggesting you cut classes and get the earlier 10am flight

Yes, yes we would!

Indeed. I was fibbing :P

If I should miss out on Thursday, I hope that those still in the area that aren't going to Orbital, would consider meeting up later in the weekend (for instance after the football match on Saturday).

I'm flying over Wednesday evening and flying back Friday evening, so I'll be free all day Thursday and Friday up to about 6.30-7pm (depending on how strict Luton are about how long you have to turn up before the flight departs).

Archived