A Thread for Small Questions

Slynt

Why would Genna Lannister have married or been married to Emmon Frey?

The Freys are influential, but they're not a great house, and the other Frey children do not seem to be married to anyone of note, even Ser Stevron the heir. Emmon is the second son, and Stevron had a son and several grandsons, so before ASOS, there was no reason to believe that Emmon would ever be in a position to inherit the Twins or get much of anything. His lands and men seem to come from Genna. The Lannisters don't seem like they were ever concerned with having good relations with the Tullys, and neither Lord Walder nor Lord Hoster seem to care about Emmon's allegiance to his wife's family.

It seems that the only daughter of a great house could have been married to a much more powerful man or to a house that would have strengthened an allegiance with the Lannisters. Tywin considered his father to be weak and foolish, but even so, it seems like an odd match. Perhaps because it was a time of peace, Genna was allowed to choose her own husband and she chose someone she knew she could dominate, but she was quite pretty at one time and Emmon is weak and weasely. I can't really think of any good reason why their marriage would have seemed like a good idea to anyone but Emmon.

Guest Other-in-law
Why would Genna Lannister have married or been married to Emmon Frey?

The Freys are influential, but they're not a great house, and the other Frey children do not seem to be married to anyone of note, even Ser Stevron the heir. Perhaps because it was a time of peace, Genna was allowed to choose her own husband and she chose someone she knew she could dominate, but she was quite pretty at one time and Emmon is weak and weasely. I can't really think of any good reason why their marriage would have seemed like a good idea to anyone but Emmon.

Genna herself explained all of this, and no, she definitely wasn't the one who made the decision. Their father, Lord Tytos, let Walder Frey push him around somewhat (in her opinion) because he was deferential to his elders (being a third son himself). It was clearly seen as a bit of a scandal among the Westermen, who were laughing at Tytos over it, and Tywin was quite irate and challenged his father.

DE didn't die, they named the scarecrows after the brothers who weren't currently there (I think they may have been fighting at the Shadow Tower?), not who had died.

Yeah, I'm rereading and I just got to the part where DE returned. He was at the Shadow Tower. I've read the books a few times and yet I still can't remember some things like that.

Dolorous Edd is my favorite character. I will be sadder than anyone if he dies. Everything he says is hilarious.

Me too! One of the first times I read the books I almost peed myself from laughing so hard when DE was talking about gods and dogs pissing on him during the stay at Craster's keep.

Another one: at the beginning of Catelyn's first chapter, she goes to find Ned in the godswood.

He lifted his head to look at her. "Catelyn," he said. His voice was distant and formal. "Where are the children?"

He would always ask her that.

Why? Just 'cause he loves them, or some other reason?

A minor question that has no bearing on the plot whatsoever (but this thread is for small questions):

We're introduced to Qarl the Maid in ACoK. He's described as a fierce warrior by Dagmer Cleftjaw and is well respected enough to stand as Asha's champion in the Kingsmoot. But what the hell is up with his nickname/epithet? 'The Maid' is a bit strange for someone's who's renowned for rather manly activities. And he is certainly not a virgin. Thoughts?

Allright, a quick question, or rather a "what-are-your-thoughts-on-this-ion":

Is it possible at all to be a one-armed blacksmith? I don't know much about smithing but it seems to me that you would need two hands to do even the most basic smithing.

So is Donal Noye a rather unrealistic character? Or did I miss that he has apprentices?

Okay, so I have several questions concerning some small details:

1. Is Cat's mother, Minisa Whent, a daughter of the Lord Whent who hosted the Harrenhal tourney, or a sister? (Or if it isn't mentioned, what is more probable? I'm not quite sure)

2. Is Lady Whent, who owns Harrenhal at the beginning of the story, Lord Whent's wife (again the man who hosted the tourney) or his sister?

3. In Arianne's chapter "The Princess in the Tower", she thinks about what her father said to her mother when he sent Quentyn to Yronwood. I believe it's "It's the only coin Lord Ormond would accept". Would this Lord Ormond be Anders Yronwood's father, or is this a mistake in my edition? Because right under this quote Arianne thinks about Lord Anders.

1) It's not specified, as far as I know. I think in an SSM or something someone brought up a possible Stark claim to Harrenhal through the Whent/Tully marriage and GRRM said he hadn't thought of it, so I kind of thought that maybe he never thought about Minisa Whent in context of the Whent line.

2) Is that Shella Whent you mean? Shella Whent was Lord Whent's wife (Oswell Whent's sister-in-law, mother of the fair maid). By the way that's in this SSM where the person seems to assumes Minisa is sister to Oswell (and thereby Lord Whent) -- don't know where that comes from myself, but if someone made that conclusion maybe it comes from somewhere?

3) I would assume so, Ormond is the guy that Oberyn Martell killed in a duel yes? So Anders seems to be at least his heir, and so may as well assume he was his son until more is known. Unless it is known ...?

Archived