A Thread for Small Questions

Slynt

Lord Hoster was still bellyaching about LF on his deathbed (that stripling!). I think the whole business was somewhat scandalous for the Tullys, though fairly insignificant to everyone else, especially compared to the Rhaegar and Lyanna scandal.

Very true OiL. It seems to be enough of a scandal if not a tragedy.

I'm doing an AGoT reread, and looking through such books as the roleplaying game and The Art of Ice and Fire, and I constantly find small nuggets that I want to ask about, and then I forget it. But now I remember one of these small questions. Feel free to post other small questions and answers here!

My question:

In the chapter where Ned Stark is imprisoned in the dungeon of the Red Keep at the end of AGoT, he thinks of Lyanna, Rhaegar, the bed of blood and all that - but I noticed he thinks of the promise he made as broken. I had always assumed he kept his promise to Lyanna (whether that was keeping Jon or not), but did he break that promise? Did he break it when he went down south and let Jon join the Night's Watch? What do you think?

I raised a similar question when first I came to the board. Could the broken promise be the fact that he claimed Jon as his own, instead of championing his eventual ascension to the throne? That certainly would have weighed heavily on his conscience, as well as causing agititation in his marriage.

IF Lyanna vanished from the north on her own, I find it hard to believe she wouldn't have left a message for her family to let them know she was all right. If she did leave such a message, it doesn't seem to have been delivered.

Littlefinger was injured in his duel with Brandon at Riverrun and my impression was that he was bedridden there for awhile; that would seem to suggest that he wouldn't have been up and around, intercepting messages and encouraging Brandon to think the worst. But he certainly had a grudge against Brandon--two, in fact: Brandon was marrying Cat and Brandon wounded him. It seems likely that if Lyanna left a message, it would be at Winterfell rather than Riverrun (which, I believe, is where Brandon was when Lyanna took off). I suppose it's possible that on her way south she left a message for her brother at his fiancee's home.

This is all probably silly. It just seemed to me that Cat's word "tragedy" to describe the outcome of Petyr's love for her was a bit overblown, since as far as I can tell all that happened was a duel in which Petyr received an injury from which he recovered fully. The fact that that duel was around the time of Lyanna's disappearance just seemed . . . well . . . suggestive. I can see Petyr being savvy enough to know 1) how Brandon would react if he heard that Rhaegar had taken Lyanna, and 2) how Aerys would react to Brandon's reaction.

Although no one has ever agreed with me, its long been my belief that Littlefinger hired pirates or their like and was indeed the kidnapper of Lyanna.(and more than likely in league with Tywin). I also think its quite possible those pirates where flying a false flag which is how Rhaegar gets the blame. The pirates would have sold Lyanna into slavery, which explains Ned's harsh treatment of Jorah Mormont. But alas, I don't think Cat nor Ned knows of Littlefinger's or Tywins involvement. But the use of the word "tragedy" could still somehow be telling.

Question:

Just rereading AFFC and I came upon the part where Brienne has the Lothston bat painted over on her shield. The device she chooses to replace it seems familiar if youve read The Hedge Knight:

"It was more a picture than a proper coat of arms, and the sight of it took her back through the long years, to the cool dark of her fathers armory. She remembered how she'd run her fingertips across the cracked and fading paint, over the green leaves of the tree, and along the path of the falling star"

Is it me or is she bearing the device of Sir Duncan the Tall? Are there any other references to her device later? If this has been discussed before let me know. Thanks!

Although no one has ever agreed with me, its long been my belief that Littlefinger hired pirates or their like and was indeed the kidnapper of Lyanna.(and more than likely in league with Tywin). I also think its quite possible those pirates where flying a false flag which is how Rhaegar gets the blame. The pirates would have sold Lyanna into slavery, which explains Ned's harsh treatment of Jorah Mormont. But alas, I don't think Cat nor Ned knows of Littlefinger's or Tywins involvement. But the use of the word "tragedy" could still somehow be telling.

:rofl:

It was probably a Faceless Man that LF hired to win the Harrenhal Tourney (in Rhaegar's guise) to name Lyanna "Queen of Love and Beauty," too, wouldn't you think? :rolleyes:

It was probably a Faceless Man that LF hired to win the Harrenhal Tourney (in Rhaegar's guise) to name Lyanna "Queen of Love and Beauty," too, wouldn't you think? :rolleyes:

oh god, don't start that up here. You'll be getting the jousting critics over to argue about whether or not an FM can ride well enough while imitating his victim to unseat lesser riders. ;)

My question, and I've wondered about this since I first read the stories: when GRRM says "blue rose", what does he mean it looks like? There is no such thing as a blue rose - roses don't have the right genes to produce one and it's very difficult to splice in the correct one - but hellebores are also known as "Christmas roses", since they bloom in winter. However, even the bluest hellebore is more purplish-plum than blue.

http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/images/big_di.../th_292-029.jpg

http://www.wagnernursery.net/Blue%20Lady%20Helleborus.jpg

Maybe Happy Ent would know, although these flora do not count as arboreal...

:rofl:

No, it was actually the 14 year old slim girl, great horsewoman Lyanna wearing Rhaegar's armor who won the tourney, and it was her brother Benjen in drag that she crowned the Queen of Love And Beauty. There was a reason he joined the NW you know.

Is it me or is she bearing the device of Sir Duncan the Tall?

That's a popular theory around here.

Are there any other references to her device later?

I don't think so, but :dunno: .

If this has been discussed before let me know. Thanks!

Believe me, everything has been discussed here before. Don't let that bother you though. Those of us who have seen the same thing over and over just avoid the discussion while the rest of you have fun.

One exception: Do not, under any circumstance, start a "Who's the best fighter" thread.

Question:

Just rereading AFFC and I came upon the part where Brienne has the Lothston bat painted over on her shield. The device she chooses to replace it seems familiar if youve read The Hedge Knight:

"It was more a picture than a proper coat of arms, and the sight of it took her back through the long years, to the cool dark of her fathers armory. She remembered how she'd run her fingertips across the cracked and fading paint, over the green leaves of the tree, and along the path of the falling star"

Is it me or is she bearing the device of Sir Duncan the Tall? Are there any other references to her device later? If this has been discussed before let me know. Thanks!

Yes, she is wearing Duncan's arms. And this has led to the theory that Brienne is Dunk's descedant that GRRM said is within the books.

That's a popular theory around here.

I don't think so, but :dunno: .

Believe me, everything has been discussed here before. Don't let that bother you though. Those of us who have seen the same thing over and over just avoid the discussion while the rest of you have fun.

One exception: Do not, under any circumstance, start a "Who's the best fighter" thread.

Yes, as the Bare Naked Ladies sang "It's all been done before" But don't let this stop you/ I can remember when I was a new poster with only one read of the books under my belt. I just avoid the discussion that has been done to death. And don't get me wrong, I still learn things everytime I'm here.

IceWolf

No, it was actually the 14 year old slim girl, great horsewoman Lyanna wearing Rhaegar's armor who won the tourney, and it was her brother Benjen in drag that she crowned the Queen of Love And Beauty. There was a reason he joined the NW you know.

... did you have to make me laugh out loud while I was eating yoghurt?? :P

Archived