New York City Comiccon

My train gets in at 10:30 and it is right across from my hotel. I requested an early check in, so hopefully I will not have to carry my stuff around wtih me for long. I should stop by the con around lunch time or so and then later to meet up with everyone, but expect to be out visiting most of the day. I am at the New Yorker...3 blocks from the con.

So I'll be arriving at 11am on the 18th at LGA. I'm staying at the Mayfair on W. 49th St. I checked and it's about 1.4mi to the convention. I guess I'll just walk with a bag/backpack and hang there all day. If I have to go back and don't want to walk, should I just take a cab? Or is there some other form of trans I'm missing out on?

You can save some of the north-south travel time by taking the C or E train from 50th St & 8th Ave two stops down to Penn Station, which is 34th and 8th. As far as east-west travel goes, I think there are buses along 34th Street which you could transfer to, though at that point you'd probably get there just as fast by walking the 3 (long) blocks over to 11th Ave.

Me, a friend of mine and the SO are thinking about going. Whats the cheapest way to get there from D.C. Now, whats the best way to get there from D.C.

Currently were thinking about this bus that leaves D.C Chinatown to NYC chinatown.

Currently were thinking about this bus that leaves D.C Chinatown to NYC chinatown.

The Chinatown bus is likely your best option. I've had friends take it a number of times and live to tell the tale. Greyhound is not too pricey either, and I had no problems with that either.

Me, a friend of mine and the SO are thinking about going. Whats the cheapest way to get there from D.C. Now, whats the best way to get there from D.C.

Very cool Jagged. It would be great to see you again. You might also check the train...my tickets were $61 each way from Baltimore, but I am sure they go from DC as well. (and it is almost half the travel time)

I was going to say the chinese busses are the best way to travel from D.C. as well. Round trip is $35 and they are usually pretty neat. Here's a decent webpage with the different companies. Oh, and some of them stops at Penn Station, which is porbably a better alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
would Friday night or Saturday night be better for you?

I know I don't plan on doing too many con things as I am not a comic fan. (I'm going for GRRM and the BwB and because it's close.)

Wait... is GRRM going to be there? His website doesn't list it as an appearance.

I don't know if GRRM is going to be there, actually. I'd guess "no" because I think he took care of his NYC biz back in November on his way back from World Fantasy. But maybe he's going stealth... :ninja:

Anyway, so it looks like I'll only be able to hang out on Friday. I have to attend a bridal shower on Saturday. :(

By general consensus, Friday night, then? Awesome. I think I can plant some magic beans and grow a small wad o' cash by then for a Friday night excursion. :D Erm... Can someone keep me away from the dangerous elf beer, though? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Due to financial and other dificulties, I won't be attending Comicon.

For real? Thats too bad. :(

So, they put up the full program on the nycc website. Some authors are coming, but not too many (its a comiccon after all). Neil Gaiman will be there but tickets to his events cost money (except for volunteers like me :P).

I asume we are all set for Friday night? Any suggestions on venue? Time?

Won't be able to make anything Friday, but maybe Lunch or Dinner Saturday.

:(

We (Xray and I) will likely miss you then, as we'll be out of town for pretty much all of Saturday.

Archived