The History of the Board

Jon Targaryen

I remember with fondness how, after we got those chapters, several people on the regular board started pushing theories about Sansa and Willas. Very funny.

Hey, it still could happen, you know!

For instance, just because a certain smallfingered individual's got someone else lined up for Sansa, does not necessarily mean that that someone could not choke himself to death on a bit of wine, after all.

(I shall be nothing if not persistent!)

Iceman:

I first became aware of GRRM at the RJ newsgroup (if people remember those), I seem to recall KAH posting there.

Yeah, I have a fairly long history of posting in one of the two main newsgroups, although I kinda dropped out of that environment years ago. I perchanced looking into archives for the newsgroup upon hearing of RJ's passing, and saw plenty of familiar names - people who like me more or less had dropped out, but appeared to have gathered one last time for old times sake. Felt a bit weird, to tell the truth...

Fondest board memories:

A dozen people (including two mods who really should have known better) standing around *name redacted* as he impersonated *name redacted* on the board only for Ran to rumble him and deliver some deadpan discipline ("You seem to have accidentally chosen the same user name, avatar and signature as *name redacted*; I have now fixed this obviously unintentional mistake," or something to that effect).

Just read this and thought 'heh. bet that was funny'

Then I remembered I wasn't there. Ran rumbled *name redacted*, after *name redacted* shopped him. Therefore, *name redacted* will forever be known as a grass.

Good. Times.

I remember the douchebag thread and the pizzeria threads.

N

Wolf Maid:

Reading this thread makes me feel that I'll forever be a newbie.

Me too, and I've been here since Nov 2001.

I fondly remember YW's "Do You Know Me" thread.

That is Lord Manwoody. He was a moderator on EZBoard who died due to an illness. He is sorely missed.

:huh: RIP

Is Manwoody the only board death?

On a happier note, how many board births have we had?

Granted, they didn't last terribly long, but there's no mention here, I notice, of the trials threads -- where I understand trial to be, not a trial by combat, like the Trial of Seven, but trials as in the sense we typically know them, with judges and attorneys pleading cases. I think the first trial was of LF, who was charged with, well, over a dozen crimes, now I come to think of it, including the murders of Jon Arryn and Ned Stark and Robert Baratheon, among other misdeeds.

Also, the casting-by-voting threads, which, again, did not have quite the longevity of the ADFL's but nevertheless involved a significant board population in the same single subject for a while. Now, I know there have been a great many "casting" threads over the years, but there was only one set that was really systematized and deliberated, in which a slate of candidates was proposed, and everyone had several votes that had to be doled out in pre-determined amounts for places 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, so that an actor's getting the part was a matter of the greatest level of desire across the board (pun intended).

Most people, as I recall, were, if not entirely satisfied with the results, reasonably so -- not thrilled with the eventual choice for each character, but far better satisfied than if any of the others but their first pick had got it.

Actually, that idea came from me, and a couple others I believe, kicking it about in Chat over Zak's perdicament.

Yeah and i seem to remember that there was something about Pod changing his name first to reflect his team?

Yeah and i seem to remember that there was something about Pod changing his name first to reflect his team?

I want to say that was part of the whole organic process of it, though I believe Pod was among the first to change. Then it became the recruiting and random draw event of the year. Three seperate groups of 64 I think we had...good times. Good times.

I want to say that was part of the whole organic process of it, though I believe Pod was among the first to change. Then it became the recruiting and random draw event of the year. Three seperate groups of 64 I think we had...good times. Good times.

I can't remember that either. All I can say was that I was involved. Strange, it's not that long ago. :stunned:

Don't worry Mandy...we all lost sooner or later. Even the Saudi Arabian greats!

When was the first 'big' meet-up of people from the board? Philcon? That's the one I remember reading reports on from waaaaay back in the day, and it's when George announced he'd given up on the original ADWD and was writing AFFC instead.

My first big board/BwB meet-up was London '06. Met Isis at Liverpool Street and then we met an absolute ton of people in a museum, including Barry, Williamjm, Sean, Pod, Mo, Lady of Waset, Mormont, Zak and about a dozen others I'm forgetting. Various others turned up later for karaoke and then the big 'Ten Years of ASoIaF Party' in the George Inn the next night. Awesome :cheers:

I still remember being present for the beginning of a bona fide board legend: a terrified-looking, relatively 'normal' looking young guy trying to get into the party and saying he hadn't said he was coming on the board but had just decided to turn up. I'm pretty sure I head GoN's voice drifting across the party, "You're a n00b?" :lol: Six months later I had the pleasure of seeing him lock himself in a cupboard in Amsterdam for absolutely no logical reason.

That kind of thing is why I hang out here so much :thumbsup:

I think you left out Jeordhi in the whole Restoration bit. Also YW's thread "Do I Know You" or somethin along those lines led to some serious board drama, which led to the second "What's Wrong With The Board" thread :P

Woah...

I wasn't involved so much with the origins of the Restoration. If memory serves, I was actually a bit of a detraction once it’d gotten underway. This was back when I had zero respect for Levendis, though. Things change.

Dub’s reaching out in the Do I Know You thread was a direct challenge to those who had certain ideas about you, including himself. It started well and with the best of intentions, but holy shit did that ever turn into a dust up. Not one of my finer moments, but it's a stand I don't regret.

To the original post, feels like there's a lot missing there. Or maybe that's the way history always feels to all of those who've lived through it.

edit: grammar and stuffs

Dub’s reaching out in the Do I Know You thread was a direct challenge to those who had certain ideas about you, including himself. It started well and with the best of intentions, but holy shit did that ever turn into a dust up. Not one of my finer moments, but it's a stand I don't regret.

I dont think I'll be starting one of those again any time soon. :P

Yeah i remember it. Was the start of some cool shit for awhile there, tho.

I dont think I'll be starting one of those again any time soon. :P

Pussy.

Yeah i remember it. Was the start of some cool shit for awhile there, tho.

Yeah, certainly was.

I know i am a born lurker since i remember the littlefinger anti-defamation league. But didn't start posting until 2006. That is some serious lurking folks.

Every since i opened my mouth the only thing that seems to come out is tripe. Mind you i think its just a question of practice. I'm sure that in another 30 years i will spout slightly higher quality tripe.

Archived