The History of the Board

Jon Targaryen

Aaah, the memories this thread brings... Yes, I'm still alive, if anyone cares. I lurk here nearly daily, though my posts are few and far between. I guess I've just become burned out on ASOIAF, and my few visits to the series' forums always seem to only show close kin or outright clones of discussions I've had half a dozen times already. Nowadays, I post more on the BwB Writers Group board, where I am trying to combat the crippling illness known as Infodumping.

Curiously, though several people have named me as the Fourth Zorseman, I don't remember it. As I recall, I was something of a latecomer to the Zorse Wars, and I tried to make up with enthusiasm for the Church of Zorse (with accompanying insane post count) what I lacked in seniority. By then, IIRC, the Four Zorsemen had already been selected. But then again, my memory could just be playing tricks, and I might be the last Zorseman. It was all so long ago...

I also remember being part of the first Survivor contest, and being the last remaining member of one of the two tribes. I did not achieve this through speedy, efficient answers to the daily question (couldn't beat Narishma Reborn - that guy was fast), but, in true ASOIAF fashion, by instead basically hiding in the bushes (not even posting answers) while braver men and women from my tribe went to the front lines and died. However, once my tribe was all but exterminated and the dust had settled down for a few days, the members of the other tribe eventually remembered my existence and dragged me out in the open to meet my fate.

The Restoration is something of a bad memory, as I remember it being the then-closest the board had had to a flame war (later eclipsed in that area by US politics).

Nope, Yags. Great, as in exceptionally talented. Many took umbrage with the length of MoL's posts. I didn't, and enjoyed reading them even when I didn't agree with the underlying logic. This is not to say there aren't many talented boarders, exceptional boarders, moderately remarkable or those of mediocre capacity. Yet even SkepticallyVegan had moments of greatness. Just in his case it's more of him being a great example of... something.

Really? Because I remember MoL as an arrogant blowhard who really didn't know what he was talking about, and consequently tried to obfuscate the weakness in his arguments by the volume of his rhetoric. I also seem to recall that he failed the bar exam more than a few times -- was it three or four? -- and yet still had the unbelievable temerity to claim that Mouse, who graduated Summa Cum Laude from freakin' HARVARD LAW, was not a "real lawyer".

He was also the guy that, after flouncing off the board like a 14-yo Harry Potter slashfic writer might leave her Draco/Hagrid LJ community after one of the cool girls made fun of her, kept posting his inane talking points to the board via stealth proxies, clueless members of his pseudo-intellectual circle-jerk of a clique so intellectually bankrupt that they were more than pleased to claim his idiotic opinions as their own.

I suppose that that's a "great" example of something, but I'm having trouble finding words sufficiently insulting to accurately encapsulate the way I really feel.

Krafus! :)

Good to read you man. A reader doesn't need everything explained to them. Good luck with the infodumps.

Really? Because I remember MoL as an arrogant blowhard who really didn't know what he was talking about, and consequently tried to obfuscate the weakness in his arguments by the volume of his rhetoric. I also seem to recall that he failed the bar exam more than a few times -- was it three or four? -- and yet still had the unbelievable temerity to claim that Mouse, who graduated Summa Cum Laude from freakin' HARVARD LAW, was not a "real lawyer".

He was also the guy that, after flouncing off the board like a 14-yo female Harry Potter slashfic writer after getting into a flamewar on her Draco/Hagrid LJ community, kept posting his inane talking points to the board via stealth proxies, clueless members of his pseudo-intellectual circle-jerk of a clique so intellectually bankrupt that they were more than pleased to claim his idiotic opinions as their own.

I suppose that that's a "great" example of something, but I'm having trouble finding words sufficiently insulting to accurately encapsulate the way I really feel.

Dive and hath dove.

Passionate. Impressive. A lot of the stuff you're talking about wasn't made aware to me though. Didn’t even know he had a clique. Does it mean I should reconsider enjoyable debates I had with him regarding the legality of the preemptive invasion of Iraq? No. Hell, I enjoyed sparring with SV from time to time, while rarely concealing my vitriolic dislike of that loquacious prick.

I don't know MoL. I wasn't commenting on his character, his sense of integrity, on any of the things we as human beings use to gauge another’s personal worth. I was commenting on how I rated my interactions with him, by and large. It's all any of us here can do, unless you've met or interacted on a level beyond the occasional high spirited debate.

Credit where credit is due. I wasn't extending him yours. Nor saying that mine should count for more than any others.

I was commenting on how I rated my interactions with him, by and large.

You called him "exceptionally talented". I would disagree with applying that qualifier to MoL in any context, personal or otherwise, at least in regards to his interactions with other humans on this board. And his study of law, apparently.

While judging talent may be subjective, using the term to refer to MoL doesn't make sense in any sort of referential framework which may apply here. Abe Vigoda may be young compared to, say, the Grand Canyon, but he's still not a young man.

In what thread were the hilliness of the Ottoman empire discussed again? Seem to remember something about war and supply-lines, but the subject escapes me...

Mandy Patinkin as Indigo Montoya: "I must know."

Cary Elwes as the Man in Black: "Get used to disappointment."

We wantss it.

Registered at the old EZboard a few months, I think, before the board moved here, but almost only read the literature section (after having had my fill of the Jon Snow-stuff :P) and didn't post much. Took some time before I decided to register here, hence the high number.

Mandy Patinkin as Indigo Montoya: "I must know."

Cary Elwes as the Man in Black: "Get used to disappointment."

The Zorse is the most noble and magnificent of creatures, fashioned in the image of the Creator himself. All should bow down to the Zorse and worship at its hooves, or else be trampled in a stampede of its angry worshippers. The 4 Zorseman stand hidden in the shadows awaiting the call for final battle, when the Zorse will conquer earth and rule paradise.

I think my favorite board/con memory were the great worldCONs from San Jose (the first one, involving Maege Mormont) and Boston. The first one was quite successful, particularly for those of us at the con, who were accosted by people in the computer room for "perpetrating some sort of internet hoax".

I wish I remembered the details of the swindle itself, which Trebla and I hatched up - Trebla being, after all, the master of all things Westeros trivia-wise (in North America).

Good times!

(And Dirjj STILL owes me a case of beer!)

I know what I said, Yags, and I suspected you might say that.

In the few debates I had with MoL his posts were well written, if a little verbose, and as I discovered well researched. I'm not speaking to your interactions with him, or to mouse's. Not comparing him to your rhetorical skills or mouse's knowledge of law. In this case you're presenting I know little or nothing beyond what you tell me.

If I choose to believe you, that's something that falls upon my judgment of our interactions, yours and mine. I do believe you, but am too far removed to judge something that happened-- how long ago?

To assuage your sensibilities, I'll say that I've obviously misspoken. Who could I possibly think I am, to grant such an exalted appellation upon someone I hardly know, when 'surrounded' by those who hardly know me. From now on, I'll suspend judgment, withholding friendship, even civility, until... well, indefinitely I spose.

Would that satisfy you?

I just remembered a few good or funny moments personally for me. None of them were big events or anything.

The last two Ashes series and the last two rugby world cups. Lots of great analysis, always interesting and funny.

An advice thread (I think it was started by Raidne) that quickly devolved into Kalbear trying to convince Raidne to convince her uptight friend to have anal sex with her boyfriend.

A thread about the Thin Red Line, where i was trying to articulate why I liked the film, and Jeff came in and just dismantled everything I'd written. One of the first times I suffered internet pwnage. I was kind of in awe, and a little bit scared of him after that.

On a less fun, more depressing note, the September 11 attacks and the board's reaction will always stick in my mind. It really revealed a different side to some boarders. It brought oput the best in some and the worst in others.

You called him "exceptionally talented". I would disagree with applying that qualifier to MoL in any context, personal or otherwise, at least in regards to his interactions with other humans on this board. And his study of law, apparently.

While judging talent may be subjective, using the term to refer to MoL doesn't make sense in any sort of referential framework which may apply here. Abe Vigoda may be young compared to, say, the Grand Canyon, but he's still not a young man.

you're obviously in love with your opinion and mistake it as fact. you've said what you had to say, MoL isnt here, so why dont you just drop it?

Archived