The History of the Board

Jon Targaryen

My first internet-fantasy interaction was as a reader of alt.fan.robert-jordan and rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan. I posted there once or twice (I remember suggesting Andrew G. Robinson, who played Garak in DS9 as someone who should play Asmodean), but never got that into it.

Paddy, do you remember about what years that was?

I used to post a lot in raswrj back around 1991-1992, and am listed as one of the contributors to the WOTFAQ, although I stopped posting there by 1993. Erica Sadun would remember my tenure there.

(I've never got into casting threads anywhere, since I don't watch television and wouldn't recognize the names of hardly any of the proposed actors.)

You know, I have no memory of when I joined. I remember the zorse stuff, and the trials, and a bunch of other stuff mentioned, but I have no idea what it was like when I joined.

Of course, was Arilou back then.

Guest thebadlady

Arend!!! I still have a crush on you! Handsome, educated, kilted, and blessed with excellent taste. A girl dreams. :P

For my personal (short) history,

I came over a couple weeks after Dub - we were on Dragonmount together and we burned it down, salted the ground and have gone back just a few times to crush their dreams. I played with the Zorse wars until I got a warning to stop or be banned. I went to the bar rather than get my first banning. :lol: I hosted TorCon and had the ENTIRE board in the party room. I remember going down to the harbour to get a quiet moment, but it turned out to be Flea Bottom with all the dead pigeons laying around. I did not eat a pigeon, alive or dead. I smoked some stuff that had been in some weird woman's bleeding crotch. I got my nickname of thebadlady there as well.

I went crazies in 2003, and that had nothing to do with smoking ragweed (thanks Trebla :P) Since then, I have left the board and came back a few times, mostly in a fit of temper or crazies. :lol:

Kal and Os clashing over the 'Robert Jordan' is a sellout thing, which Zak occasionally tries to restart for shits and giggles. The flame war as art form.

*sniff* I'm always the forgotten participant in that thread because Kal and Os were just the better reads... :P

• 3 years later...

I used to post a lot in raswrj back around 1991-1992, and am listed as one of the contributors to the WOTFAQ, although I stopped posting there by 1993. Erica Sadun would remember my tenure there.

Wait, what? Thank you!! That FAQ has been a freaking indispensible resource for me over the years. It is the first nerdy thing on the internet I ever read, I think. Seriously, it's like you're telling me you're the inventor of the flat iron. :grouphug:

Better three and a half years late than never?

For the thread and posterity, I will list a few DC BwB highlights:

(1) Elrostar and Fez dance off at the duckpin bowling alley

(2) Mercenary Chef is forced to play Dance Central, threatens to kill me, appears to seriously mean it.

(3) Ini gets talked into a waterfall. Expected to stop complaining about it circa 2025. ;)

(4) Prior to my time, but Colder Hands gives hard-to-beat excuse for skipping BwB meet-up: I put my fist through a guy's car window and am in jail. Well, okay,

(5) The worst story ever told is told, in person, in the Atlas District

I seriously think one of my favorite BwB moments ever, though, was in SF, at AG's place, when we were all hanging out and decided to put on the show...and everyone stopped talking. Just perfect.

Wait, what? Thank you!! That FAQ has been a freaking indispensible resource for me over the years. It is the first nerdy thing on the internet I ever read, I think. Seriously, it's like you're telling me you're the inventor of the flat iron. :grouphug:

Teri didn't quite invent the internet, but it was close. :) She was in on ARPAnet.

What were you doing in the back pages of misc?!

haha, good question. Was trying to find a thread on tablet pcs that we had a few years back within which we debated the future of the market.

haha, good question. Was trying to find a thread on tablet pcs that we had a few years back within which we debated the future of the market.

*wince* IIRC, I was of the opinion they were too dumbed down and would never catch on, except maybe with my grandmother.

Archived