The History of the Board

Jon Targaryen

I miss Jeff. He was like a shoeless Republican lawyer-deity.

Wow...shoeless Jeff. What an injoke. :lol:

I think my favorite board/con memory were the great worldCONs from San Jose (the first one, involving Maege Mormont) and Boston. The first one was quite successful, particularly for those of us at the con, who were accosted by people in the computer room for "perpetrating some sort of internet hoax".

The San Jose con was epic indeed!

And wow...lots of old familiar faces, Aghrivaine, Krafus etc.

Well, hi to those who still remember me fondly. *waves* :)

Thinking about this thread and the now more than seven years since I started posting on this board (my very first post was on January 1, 2001, after a few months of lurking), something that's always struck me as sad is that AFFC never inspired the same level of debate as ASOS did when I arrived, at least for me.

I can remember a great number of intense discussions about Tywin, Stannis's morality, Jon's parentage, with long, long posts by such highly articulate posters as Lannister, Jeff, KAH, TrackerNeil, Markus, Ran, Enlightenment HK, and many others... I got my figurative head handed to me on a shameful number of occasions. (My crowning achievement being once correcting Ran, Sentient Encyclopedia of All Things ASOIAF, on a very minor point. Hey, you take your victories where you can find 'em.) It was all grand fun, and I was very much looking forward to those luminaries returning to the series' forums once ASOIAF came out, and with all the new 'uns who had arrived in the intervening time, I was anticipating a literal explosion of posts.

Unfortunately, that's not what happened. Maybe the long wait for AFFC sapped part of my enthusiasm, maybe it was because AFFC was IMO the weakest of the books so far (and not helped by lacking three of my four favourite characters). In any case, after reading the book, I couldn't muster the enthusiasm to do more than half-heartedly make a half-dozen or so posts, and I essentially gave up after just a few days. It all had a feeling of deja vu, of been there, done that. I really wanted the old argumentative flame to kindle, but it just didn't.

I wonder - did other board veterans feel the same apathy after reading AFFC?

I wonder - did other board veterans feel the same apathy after reading AFFC?

i certainly did. in fact since my affc i have very little enthusiasm for the series, as a whole. just cant seem to muster it.

I'm such a n00b; the most significant piece of board history I was part of was "News From the Insane World of Terry Goodkind," and that was only a year ago. I usually restrict myself to the Literature forums, but rarely does something noteworthy happen there.

The first Goodkind thread, or at least the 'Goodkind I' of the same series that's still going on now, was started by me roughly two years ago. I remember meeting Prod, Barry, Sean and Isis in a London bar in July 2006 to watch a World Cup game and I was astonished that we'd covered seven Goodkind threads in just a couple of months :lol:

I remember not long after joining the board reading a discussion between someone and MMM. The other person said something along the lines of "Hey, MMM is right," and MMM's reply was simply, "Redundant," which I found amusing. Although not as amusing as going on EZboard and finding MMM's fresh 'n' excited, rather out-of-character n00b discussions of the books ;)

I remember talking computer games with Stego not long after joining the board and YDub accusing me of, "Wimping out of the argument." I can't remember WTF we were talking about now though.

And I have fond memories of the incredibly excited, "This show is so awesome," threads that followed on from the airing of BSG's Exodus two-parter, followed merely weeks later by people in a state of advanced disbelief at the prolonged period of shiteness the series had descended into.

I remember talking computer games with Stego not long after joining the board and YDub accusing me of, "Wimping out of the argument." I can't remember WTF we were talking about now though.

Huh, I seriously have no recollection of that. :lol: Crazy.

ETA: Regardless of whatever it was, it was obviously enough to leave a bad memory for you...and I apologize for that.

YW

I think it isn't. But I bet the word "Anti-Choice" could still get it done!

And just who was it again who said that? I can't recall...

Some jackal or another, I think. Couldn't have been anyone important. But I do remember who it was that bitched and bitched and bitched about the use of the word and how it affected their precious sacred milk-cow. Do you?

Here's a new revelation about the board that some may find interesting:

I attended an SF publishers' party last year and was quite surprised when several people 'in the biz' revealed they were familiar with our Lit. message board. Apparently Pat's Fantasy Hotlist mentioning it fairly regularly has led to a number of agents, writers and editors checking it out every now and then, which I found kinda cool.

Some jackal or another, I think. Couldn't have been anyone important. But I do remember who it was that bitched and bitched and bitched about the use of the word and how it affected their precious sacred milk-cow. Do you?

I think that was a Sea Turtle Cow with laser beam eyes? Or maybe that was a whole different discussion. Hmm...

Oh! And speaking of laser beam eyes! You know who has those?

The first Goodkind thread, or at least the 'Goodkind I' of the same series that's still going on now, was started by me roughly two years ago. I remember meeting Prod, Barry, Sean and Isis in a London bar in July 2006 to watch a World Cup game and I was astonished that we'd covered seven Goodkind threads in just a couple of months :lol:

Was this the thread in which Mme Erzulie did commented re-readings of the Wizard's First Rule? Or was this already the second Goodwin thread. I remember these first threads.

In fact, I remember quite a lot of the events mentioned that happened on this board, even though, I'm mostly a lurker.

Was this the thread in which Mme Erzulie did commented re-readings of the Wizard's First Rule? Or was this already the second Goodwin thread. I remember these first threads.

In fact, I remember quite a lot of the events mentioned that happened on this board, even though, I'm mostly a lurker.

I think this was the thread (or at least the later ones). Mad Moose's QotD started, IIRC, the second or third GK thread. I still remember when in one of the earlier threads, Scott Lynch commented there.

In what thread were the hilliness of the Ottoman empire discussed again? Seem to remember something about war and supply-lines, but the subject escapes me...

Nah, it was Os arguing that the Ottoman empire was much larger than it looked like on the map due to its hilliness.

On a less fun, more depressing note, the September 11 attacks and the board's reaction will always stick in my mind. It really revealed a different side to some boarders. It brought oput the best in some and the worst in others.

This was when I started posting for real in the Misc forum.

BTW, I can't believe we've made almost 150 posts about the board history and nobody has blamed Pod for anything (or everything) yet!

Discussing board history = fun.

Using discussion of board history to dredge up old grievances, disparage former members, resurrect ancient disputes, etc. = not fun, and not appropriate. Let's knock it on the head. Nostalgia is one thing, settling scores is another.

The first of the Goodkind threads (on this board, anyway) was News From the Insane World of Terry Goodkind. I think that's where Mme. Erzulie began his quest for sporking, and that's where GIOG was invented. Next was "More News from..." and after that, the Goodkind I-XXXV threads. Mad Moose's QotD came along in GK II or III, and lasted until around GK X.

Nah, it was Os arguing that the Ottoman empire was much larger than it looked like on the map due to its hilliness.

Probably started as a debate about Turkey joining the EU. That was a big topic for a while.

Oh, Pod... THAT'S not an injoke! Noting that Jeff was a Pretty, Pretty Princess? That's an injoke!

I was been very elitist. :P There was an incident in Philly where Jeff went around shoeless. I presume that is what Yags was referring to. It amused me to remember that for some reason.

Using discussion of board history to dredge up old grievances, disparage former members, resurrect ancient disputes, etc. = not fun, and not appropriate. Let's knock it on the head. Nostalgia is one thing, settling scores is another.

QFT.

-Kinder, gentler Stego

The first of the Goodkind threads (on this board, anyway) was News From the Insane World of Terry Goodkind. I think that's where Mme. Erzulie began his quest for sporking, and that's where GIOG was invented. Next was "More News from..." and after that, the Goodkind I-XXXV threads. Mad Moose's QotD came along in GK II or III, and lasted until around GK X.

IIRC, it went 'News From' and then 'More News From' and then 'Goodkind III'. That was the good old days when Myst@r would turn up on a regular basis ;)

Archived