ASOIAF Mafia 47.5 - Holiday Massacre!

Mexal

Woo hoo, we have a mini mod alt!

Please PM House Blackfyre to sign up. The more, the merrier. We'd love at least 15.

Here is what you need to know:

The more players that sign up, the more roles there will be. What those roles are will only be known to us (Mex-mod and West-mod) and to those who receive the roles. (OK... that may change)

I can assure you that there will be a weak CF (revealing alignment only.)

Days will start at 48 hours for day 1, and we will look to shorten them as we lose players. Night will last 10 hours.

The game will be mostly vanilla, but with the 15th sign up comes a bonus role, which you will know about.

Finally, this game is alt-less. So please don’t post in the thread with your costumes on.

The title? Holiday Massacre!

Setting to be posted soon(ish).

Game Mechanics

1 - General Structure

Players may begin posting as soon as the mods announce that the game has started on the thread. The game begins during the day. The day ends when when a sufficient number of people have voted to lynch a player (remove that player from the game) or voted to end the day without a lynch. Many games also have time limits on the days, and if no consensus is reached when the time expires, the day ends with no lynch. When the day phase has ended, night begins. The mods will then post a scene reporting the outcome of the day. Players may continue posting in the thread but no voting is allowed. Night ends when the mods post the morning scene reporting the outcome of the night actions. Day and night phases continue to alternate until the game ends.

2 - Day Phase

During the day, players may post in the thread and vote. Some roles may have special powers which can be used during the day. See later posts for a list of roles.

2.1 - Voting Mechanics

To vote for a player: bold that player's name.

To vote to end the day without a lynch: bold the word night.

To change your vote: bold the other player's name (or bold night).

To remove your vote without casting a new vote: bold the phrase remove vote.

2.2 - Voting Restrictions

You may only vote during the day phase. You can only have one vote outstanding at any time. You may not vote for yourself. You may not edit a vote into a post. You may not edit a vote out of a post.

2.3 - Bold Restrictions

The use of bold should be limited to voting. If you want to emphasize a players name or another word, you can underline the word or post using a different color

2.4 - Majority Defined

A majority means either more than half of the active players voting for one player's lynch or half or more of the active players voting to go to night without a lynch.

2.5 - Ending the Day

The day ends as soon as a majority is reached (or, if the game has a day time limit and the players fail to achieve a majority, once the time limit has elapsed). Anyone lynched is no longer an active player and must not post in the thread. Votes can no longer be withdrawn and new votes cannot be cast until the night phase ends.

2.6 - Evening Scene

The mods will post a scene shortly after the day ends to report the results of the day actions. If the day ended with a player's lynch, the mods might also reveal information about the lynched player, such as the player’s alt or alignment. This is the mods’ choice, and they’ll explain what, if any, information will be revealed in the game rules. There are no hidden clues in the evening scenes.

3 - Night Phase

During the night, players may post in the thread but may not vote. Some players will have the ability to perform special actions. Once again, the mods decide which roles will be included for their game, so be sure to fully read the game rules and any role descriptions which may be included.

3.1 - Performing a Night Action

If your role includes the ability to perform a special action at night, you need to PM the mods to indicate the action you wish to take. Most, if not all, roles have the ability to "withhold" their powers (i.e. take no action). This will be made clear to the roled players, and, usually, to all other players as well. If you chose to not perform your allowed action, you must PM "no action" to the mods. Most games have a time limit on nights. All players must PM their night actions to the mods within this timeframe. Players are strongly encouraged to send their night actions as soon as possible. You may also send in a PM for your special action during the day phase.

3.2 - Contingent PM

If you send in a PM during the day phase, you may choose to list alternative actions contingent on the manner in which the day ended. If none of the contingencies you list actually occur, your PM will be disregarded, and you must send a new PM to the mods.

3.3 - Provisional PM

You may choose to send a provisional PM if you want to further consider your night action but do not want to extend the night if all other roled players have decided upon their actions. Provisional PMs must be clearly marked as such. A provisional PM will not be acted upon by the mods until it becomes a 'definite PM.' A provisional PM becomes definite as soon as ( a ) you confirm your choice with another PM, ( b ) all other roled players that need to send night actions have done so, or ( c ) the time limit for the night has expired.

As a courtesy to other players we ask that you confirm your provisional PM as soon as you are able.

3.4 - Last Resort PM

In extraordinary circumstances you may be allowed to send in a last resort PM. A last resort PM will not be acted upon by the mods until ( a ) you confirm your choice with another PM or ( b ) the time limit for the night has expired. Should you need to send a last resort PM, you must first seek the mods approval by explaining the circumstances that necessitate such a PM. Last resort PMs are accepted only at the discretion of the mods.

3.5 - Failure to PM

If not all PMs are received within the time limit, everyone who has failed to send in a PM will be considered to have taken no action. In addition, those who failed to send in a PM will be warned by the mods or may risk further penalties.

3.6 - Changing a Night Action

PMs to the mod can be changed at any point before the new day is announced. A PM is considered to be changed only after the mod receives and has read the PM. The player bears the risk that the mod will post the morning scene after the player has sent in a new PM but before the mod has actually read it.

3.7 - Abusing the Time Limit

If the mods have included a night time limit, it begins as soon as the previous day ended, regardless of when the mods posted the evening scene. However, this time limit is a maximum limit, and all players should send in PMs as soon as they feel comfortable doing so. Players (and mods) prefer shorter nights, as people are anxious to see who may have died and to begin voting again. If the mods feel that a player is abusing the time limit by unreasonably stalling, they may force the player to take no night action or take other appropriate action.

3.8 Preventing Night Actions

Except where expressly noted, no night actions prevent any other night actions sent in from taking effect.

3.9 - Morning Scene

The night phase ends when the mods post the morning scene. The mods will post the scene shortly after all night action PMs have been received. The scene will report any player deaths that occurred during the night, and might also reveal information about the lynched player, such as the player’s alt or alignment. There are no hidden clues in the morning scenes. As soon as the scene is posted any players who have been killed at night will no longer be active players and can no longer post in the thread. The time limit for the new day will begin with the morning scene.

Section 4 - Endgame

The game will continue to alternate between day and night phases until the game ends. The game can end after either a day or night phase.

4.1 - Winning Conditions

The game ends once one faction has reached its winning conditions, which the mods will state in a later post.

Mafia is a team game. Once one faction achieves its winning conditions, all members of that faction have won whether or not they are active players when the winning conditions are achieved.

4.2 - Ending Scene

The mods will post an ending scene and declare the game over shortly after one faction achieves its winning conditions. If for any reason it becomes impossible for either faction to achieve its winning conditions, the mods will declare the game a draw.

The game is only over when a mod posts the ending scene. Even if you know (or believe you know) the result of the game before then, you may not post in the thread unless you are an active player.

4.3 - Calling the Game Early

The mods reserve the right to end the game at any time before a faction achieves its winning conditions provided there are compelling reasons to do so. In general, the mods will end the game early as soon as one faction's victory becomes inevitable.

4.4 - Spoilers

When the game is over, the mods will reveal the alts and roles of everybody who played and also give everyone access to the spoiled spectator threads on the discussion board.

RULES

All players must ..

A1) Have an account on the mafia discussion board, with the same account name as on this board.

A2) Log in and view the thread and the discussion board anonymously at all times, unless they have informed the mods that this is not possible for technical reasons

A3) Post at least once every 24 hours. Any player who has not posted within the last 24 hours will be automatically modkilled, whether or not the mods announce this on the thread.

The mods may grant extensions to this limit in some cases (if so, they will give details in a later post). However, if they have not posted on the thread to announce an extension before the 24 hour limit is reached, no extension will be granted, whatever may have been said elsewhere. Please contact the mods as early as possible if you wish to request an extension.

A4) Send in role prescribed night actions (including the desire to take no action) within the time limit

A5) Treat everybody else playing with courtesy and respect

A6) Make any edits the mods request of them as soon as possible, whether or not they believe that the posts need to be edited.

A7) Contact the game mods as soon as possible if they feel you are at risk of breaking a rule or fear they or another person may have already done so.

Players must not ...

B1) Act in any way intended to reduce the chance of their faction achieving its win conditions. (However, should all surviving members of a faction agree that they wish to resign and end the game early, they may do so by PMing the mods privately, without stating their intentions on-thread until the mods post to announce that the game is over.)

B2) Discuss the game with any other living players outside this game thread except when told they may do so in their role PMs.

B3) Reveal any information about the game at all in any other thread than this one, or in any other forum (including message boards and chat rooms) where it may be seen by a living player.

B4) Give anybody access to any of their accounts (including game alts, if the game is using them), either here or on the mafia discussion board.

B5) Attempt to obtain advice about the game from anybody not currently playing.

B6) Post information on the thread relating to another player's past or current activity on (or absence from) the board that would not otherwise be available to anybody reading the thread.

B7) Quote, in whole or part, PMs from (or other private conversations with) the mods on the thread, or discuss the timing of any PMs sent to the mods.

B8) Post on the thread at any time after they are dead until the mods themselves post on the thread to announce that the game is over. Any posts accidently made after death should be immediately edited blank.

B9) Make any bets about the game.

B10) Offer to break any of these rules or any other rules the mods have set in place for the game, encourage others to do so or help to conceal the fact that rules have been broken.

AND JUST SO YOU KNOW

C1) Failure to comply with the rules may result in any punishment the mods deem appropriate, including, but not limited to: a request to edit posts; formal warnings on thread; "modkilling", and ending the game prematurely in favor of one faction or none. The mods will also report rule infractions to the metamods after the game. Except where clearly stated in the rules, the mods are free to respond to any rules violation in whatever manner they wish. In all cases the mods' decision on these matters is final.

C2) Feel free to PM or IM your thoughts (or questions) to the mods. We love to hear them!

C3) The mods reserve the right to amend the rules during the game if we realize we've forgotten to cover something.

-------------------------

As well as running the game on this thread, the mods are also responsible for administering the spoiler thread on the discussion board. Anybody not actively involved in the game (whether spectators or dead players) can request access to this thread by PMing the mods. Please not that while in general the mods will be happy to let anybody have access to this thread, they do reserve the right to refuse access to anybody for any reason. Accordingly, please do not ask anybody other than the mods for access to the spoiler thread or give yourself access to it, even if you have the power to do so.

Once given access to the thread, spoiled spectators should also take note of the following rules, and must not ...

D1) Share any information from the spoiler thread with living players, or post such in a forum where it may be seen by living players.

D2) Offer any advice, hints or strategy to living players.

D3) Make personal attacks on players in the game or on posters in the spoiler thread itself

D4) Post on the game thread before the mods announce that the game is over.

Spectators (of any sort) who ignore these rules are likely to have their access to the spoiler thread revoked and/or to be reported to the metamods.

Specific Game Rules

1) The mods have done their best to ensure all game mechanics and roles are clear and easily understood. However the mods are far from perfect and have probably made lots of unforeseen errors. The mods will make a judgment before any role clarification is given as we don't want to support or undermine a pre-existing claim made by any player.

2) Alts will not be used in this game.

3) There will be a weak CF in this game.

4) Day 1 will last for 48 hours. All subsequent days will last 36 hours.

5) Nights will last for a maximum of 10 hours. Please remember to use provisionals and confirm them as soon as possible, so we can have shorter nights.

6) Dead players will be immediately spoiled.

7) Replacements will only be used on day one if a replacement is available.

8) Due to the change in day length, I have decided to increase the amount of time allowed between posts. Instead of posting once per 24 hours, it has now been increased to once per 30 hours. Should more than 30 hours elapse since your last post, you will be modkilled so please don't hurt your faction by getting modkilled (PM me if an extension is needed).

9) The mods reserve the right to change/modify any rules and role descriptions before the start of the game.

Setting: Ireland, in a dark little pub. Apparently some lush is ranting about something to the barkeep. Let’s listen in…

“… and it seems that some holidays are just a little more important than the others. It’s a nasty little secret that no one wants to admit. But I am here to tell you the truth.

You see, Easter has that damned rabbit. Valentine’s Day has winged cherubs with their stupid arrows. And New Year’s? New Year’s has a little baby AND a dragon, depending on your location. How the frick is that fair?

Halloween thinks it’s so special. Bats, witches, cats, ghosts, skeletons, ad nauseum. Makes me want to throw up all right.

But Christmas. Oh, Christmas gets all the glory. Father Christmas. Saint Nick. Santa Claus. Elves, reindeer, a baby in a manger. Christ! And not just a day, no. Christmas gets a whole fricking season. “Christmas time†my ass!

Well, I think I’ll just put a stop to that. From now on, only one guy will get the glory. Only one guy will be revered. Only one guy, me: St. Patrick!

*hic*

What, those other holidays think they can stop me? Please! I am going to send out my little leprechauns and do them all in.

Bwahahahahahaha!â€

Looks like you guys need to ferret out all of the leprechauns from your group before St. Patty turns your eggnog into green beer.

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Now that we have 15 sign ups, I can let you know about the bonus role. This is the only role besides a roleless innocent/mafia that you will know about. I will post those role PMs below.

Team - Good Guys

Role - Roleless Innocent

You are a representative of _____. You have no special knowledge and no special abilities. You may not communicate with anyone off thread. This is probably why it's the best role in the game. Unsurprisingly, given the name, you are allied with the innocent faction.

Innocents they win when all members of the Mafia and Serial Killer are eliminated.

Team - Baddies

Role- Killer

You are a leprechaun. You and your partners may communicate off thread. Each night you and your partners can send in (collectively) the name of one player you wish to target. Assuming that no other role intervenes in any other way, this player will die at the end of the night.

Your partners are __________.

Mafia wins when only bad guys are alive or when a situation arises where this is the only possible outcome of the game.

Team - Serial Killer

Roll - Serial Killer

You are Gaia. You represent Earth Day. Due to the amount of waste incured from wrapping paper, Valentines, needless Halloween costumes, etc. you have decided that all other holidays should be eliminated. Unfortunately that means you must work alone and no one can know your master plan. Every other night, you may PM the mods the name of a player you would like to kill, and assuming that no other role intervenes in any other way, this player will die at the end of the night. You are also bulletproof (this will be changed so it fits with the flavor when West is around but for now, you get the idea).

Serial Killer wins when everyone is dead but themselves.

eta Winning Conditions for each faction

The game will start today at 4pm EST unless there are any major objections (to allow for maximum discussion before weekend sets in). If you want to sign up before then, please send me a PM. If you have problems with me starting the game today, please send me a PM.

I will edit this post out when the game starts with the opening scene and then provide the vote count in the following post.

The candy cane gavel hits the podium and the room falls into silence. Santa speaks.

"Fellow holiday representatives, I am sure everyone knows why we are here. But for those who didn't read the setting posted above, it seems that St. Patrick has gotten it into his drunken Irish head to 'do us all in.' I, for one, am not about to let Christmas stockings get filled with pots of gold and rainbows. What are we going to do about it?"

"I say we remove March from the calendar completely," replies the non-specific representative of various heads' of states birthdays.

"I object!" says the Easter Bunny. "Occasionally, Easter falls in March. I cannot have my egg-deliveries jeopardized. That is simply not feasible."

"I say we put a firecracker up his ass," says the New Year's dragon.

"Gentlemen! We are kind, gentle, and kid-friendly," Santa says. "There will be no fire crackers up anyone's asses!"

An elf hands Santa a note. He reads it aloud.

Dear Kris and Company,

As you know, I have declared a jihad on you all. I have sent my leprechaun representatives to infiltrate your little powwow. Soon you will all be dead.

Love and kisses,

Pat

"Lock the door!" Santa screams. "No one leaves here until we find those damned leprechauns!"

Day 1 begins! You have 48 hours!

Archived