Is Benjen Stark Alive?

That's what I thought too!

Have a great day.

I think he's Coldhands, or Coldhands was the guy who showed up at the beginning of AGOT, and Benjen is some other hybrid Human/Other.

Coldhands was the guy who saved Sam and Gilly from the wights and brought them to the Black Gate.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

I don't think that he's Coldhands. Seems too obvious for Martin, though not everything he writes needs to come as a surprise. I also think that he is alive. Two of his men were the wights that tried to kill the Old Bear. If Benjen had a similar fate then I would expect he probably would have been among the dead that they found just beyond the wall. Not necessarily, but I think it's safe to assume his small party would have stuck together. There must be survivors of whatever killed the ones that reanimated.

I don't think that he's Coldhands. Seems too obvious for Martin, though not everything he writes needs to come as a surprise. I also think that he is alive. Two of his men were the wights that tried to kill the Old Bear. If Benjen had a similar fate then I would expect he probably would have been among the dead that they found just beyond the wall. Not necessarily, but I think it's safe to assume his small party would have stuck together. There must be survivors of whatever killed the ones that reanimated.

Well, the two wights were not killed there. They came there on their own, or were carried there. It is possible that Benjen could have been sent elsewhere.

“This . . . this is all wrong,†Sam Tarly said earnestly. “The blood . . . there’s bloodstains on their clothes, and . . . and their flesh, dry and hard, but . . . there’s none on the ground, or . . . anywhere. With those . . . those . . . those . . . †Sam made himself swallow, took a deep breath. “With those wounds . . . terrible wounds . . . there should be blood all over. Shouldn’t there?â€

Dywen sucked at his wooden teeth. “Might be they didn’t die here. Might be someone brought ’em and left ’em for us. A warning, as like.â€

He was not in Theon's dream of the Stark dead/soon to be dead. I think he is alive.

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but where was this dream? I can't seem to remember it.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

Hi Fgalkin,

I know that Coldhands saved Sam and Gilly, so that I should trust him as a more noble or good character - but the obvious Other connection or heritage if you will leads me otherwise.

I think that whereever Benjen Stark is now, he is alive (in a sense), and he is going to become a huge threat to Westeros by the 6th book.

but not all of them who have been resurrected have come back alive ;) , like our good friend lady stoneheart. even if benjen isn't coldhands, coldhands is certianly a character who walks the line between true life and undying life fairly tightly.

pps. 608-609 ACOK US TPB

Could you give me the chapter number instead? I've got the mass market US edition, so pages 608-609 have Stannis negotiating with Cortnay Penrose.

I know that Coldhands saved Sam and Gilly, so that I should trust him as a more noble or good character - but the obvious Other connection or heritage if you will leads me otherwise.

We know very little about the Others at the moment. Who they are and what they want is still something left to be seen. As are the Children of the Forest, they have been mentioned far too many times to remain unseen. Once we know more about those two, we could make an educated guess about Coldhand's allegiance and intentions (although personally, I believe that he's working for the Children).

I think that whereever Benjen Stark is now, he is alive (in a sense), and he is going to become a huge threat to Westeros by the 6th book.

Oh, I don't doubt that he's an active character still (whether he's "alive" is another matter entirely), but I'm not so certain of him becoming evil, or a threat to Westeros. For one thing, it is such a well-known trope that GRRM is likely to stay away from it just to avoid being predictable.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

Theon's fifth chaper. 57th chapter in the book.

Thank you. As it turns out, it was pages 808-809 in my book, an exact correlation, just add 200 pages :)

As for the dream itself, he didn't see Catelyn, either, and she was killed at the Red Wedding as well. Resurrected later, yes, but maybe so was Benjen Stark.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

As for the dream itself, he didn't see Catelyn, either, and she was killed at the Red Wedding as well. Resurrected later, yes, but maybe so was Benjen Stark.

Catelyn is a Stark only through marriage. Theon's dream seems to include only those of Stark blood.

Like Jory Cassel, Mikken, Septon Chayle, the Wild Hares, and the rest?

You're right. I'd misremembered the dream.

Catelyn is still a Tully, though, and throughout her POV she thinks of herself as a Tully. Her identification with the North doesn't run very deep. I wasn't surprised to not see her at the banquet of the dead.

The Cassels are Winterfell-folk, the Wild Hares, "and the rest" are all part of the North. Septon Chayle???? I don't recall much being said about him insofar as his origins are concerned.

Guest Other-in-law
Her identification with the North doesn't run very deep. I wasn't surprised to not see her at the banquet of the dead.

The Cassels are Winterfell-folk, the Wild Hares, "and the rest" are all part of the North. Septon Chayle???? I don't recall much being said about him insofar as his origins are concerned.

Septon Chayle grew up along the banks of the White Knife, so he's a northman.

King Robert Baratheon, however, was not. He sat with his guts spilling onto the high table in Theon's dream.

Archived