Is Benjen Stark Alive?

Benjen is dead and now is Coldhands

As I believe the wights are the reanimated dead being warged by the others when you think back to the Fist where Sam killed the other and became the Slayer the control over Coldhands would be lifted. Either letting him come back as Beric, and cat style and with Bloodravens help is sent to help Sam then get Bran or being now masterless is warged by Bloodraven to be his newest tool. If he is working with instead of for why is he left outside once they get to the cave so i tend to believe the later.

Totally agree Benjen done his part and is not needed.

The others are complete opposites of the CoTFs. The others are all tall and gaunt and the Children are small

The only problem I have with this theory is, wouldn't Bran recognize his own uncle?

Alive or dead, Benjen is not Coldhands.

My guess is that Benjen Stark's fate will remain a mystery. In all probability, his bones are either lying in an unmarked grave, or he's shambling around as a zombie (more likely, since that's what happened to two of his men early on). And come on, it's not like he was the most damn important character in the series. If he was alive, he would have turned up by now.

We know this much... Someone (Most probably Benjen) left those obsidian weapons. Whether he hoped (or knew) that Jon would find them through Ghost, it's open to interpretation. If this is true, then we can safely assume that he was or is aware of the lethal effect of obsidian on the Others. First casual evidence of his possible survival, for we know that the wildlings are not that deadly to the Night's Watch if they're respected... and certainly not to the First Ranger, a Stark.

Benjen might have contact with the Children of the Forest and perhaps is also acquainted with Bloodraven, but I seriously doubt he's Coldhands. Remember that he was Bran's uncle too. Bran would have known him on sight, Wight and all. He never even sensed him as familiar. Summer didn't recognize him either, and was actually weary of him.

Bran's leadership, if any, will most probably due to the Forest and Those Who Sing. Leading an army of corrupted dead and demonic spirits of cold is certainly against everything we've read of him so far. D.R.

personally, i do not believe that benjen stark is coldhands. bran would have recognized him in ASoS OR ADwD. that did not happen.

i am not sure that he is alive--most of his men are dead, according to the wights from book 1. but i am pretty sure that he is not coldhands.

If Benjen is Cold Hands, why can he not pass through the Black Gate? I understand he is in a different body or whatever but, he should still be Benjen and as First Ranger he should be able to recite the words to pass.

He's an Other and the spells on the wall keep Others away

My only thought preventing me from being 100% in the Benjy is Coldly camp is this: is that cache of dragonglass that Jon found related? If Benjen is coldhands, it makes sense for him to of left the glass as it is presumably as lethal for him in his dead state as it is to the Others. However, Jon found Night's Watch Blacks with that cache, and Coldhands is still wearing his black. So basically I'm wondering how that find fits into the picture.

My only thought preventing me from being 100% in the Benjy is Coldly camp is this: is that cache of dragonglass that Jon found related? If Benjen is coldhands, it makes sense for him to of left the glass as it is presumably as lethal for him in his dead state as it is to the Others. However, Jon found Night's Watch Blacks with that cache, and Coldhands is still wearing his black. So basically I'm wondering how that find fits into the picture.

Obsidian does not do anything special to the wight revenants. It is only against the unworldly Others, composed as they are of frozen mists, that it works its melting magic.

i think benjen is dead.

back in a Jon chapter in aGoT: "...in his mind's eye he saw ben stark dead, his blood red in the snow. The thought made him sick. What was he becoming?"

I'm not quite sure who the that "he" refers to; is Jon referring to himself or if he's envisioning his uncle becoming a wight?

but then again, jon's not the greenseer of the group.

I believe he's undead, and that he's coldhands. It was the first thing that came to my mind when he showed up riding on the back of a giant elk.

That and I believe Bran's line in AGoT about the Children saving him was a subtle hint of forshadowing

Alive or dead, Benjen is not Coldhands.

My guess is that Benjen Stark's fate will remain a mystery. In all probability, his bones are either lying in an unmarked grave, or he's shambling around as a zombie (more likely, since that's what happened to two of his men early on). And come on, it's not like he was the most damn important character in the series. If he was alive, he would have turned up by now.

if he was coldhands, which I do not believe, he cant pass through the gate because coldhands is dead and therefore his watch is over

Archived