ARC of game of thrones. Value?

nobody214

Hey,

I have an advance reading copy of Game of Thrones. I'm a huge fan, but not much of a collector.

I'm thinking of selling the book to a collector who could appreciate it.

However, I'm really struggling to figure out the value of the book.

Any help would be appreciated. Eventually, I'll actually sell the book, so if you're interested... we can discuss that, as well.

Thanks,

One thing to note, maybe -- Stego can correct me -- is that it often seems to me that the prices of series collectibles flucuates in relation to where you are in the hype-cycle for said series. So, I'd guess that prices would trend upwards when the buzz about the impending release of the book is highest, and prices would trend downwards during the waits between books.

I'd personally wait to see if anything comes of the HBO series before selling any collectible book or object related to the series.

That's not a bad idea. Now that the strike is over, I'm guessing some info might trickle out.

What I should do.... is wait for GRRM to announce that Dance is finished and sell the book during the rabid craze that ensues.

All the same...when the time comes, should I look for an individual (such as someone on this forum), or find a book collector? Auction house? Surely not Ebay?

I've never had a book worth more than the price on the inside flap... I'm really winging it here.

Surely not Ebay?

Why not eBay? That's where you're likely to get the most exposure. Someone here would probably be my second choice. A book collector would be hard to find, and an auction house, well, they're not all that likely to find someone in such a niche market. Plus their cut would be a lot higher than using eBay and eBay gives you more exposure. Also remember, the folks here are a smaller subset of Martin fans, there's tons of Martin fans out there that don't use this board. If you're not familiar with selling on eBay, you might consider getting help from someone who is (friend or relative perhaps?). I'm sure lots of us could give general advice on how to avoid problems on eBay, but you really would want to sell it from an account with decent feedback already. Thus the advice of trying to find a friend of relative if you don't already have such an account...

That said, the times I've sold GRRM related stuff on eBay, someone here bought it. You might be just fine advertising it here, though perhaps you wouldn't get as much in a straight sale as on eBay. Without putting it up for auction, you wouldn't know what might have been. If it were me, I'd put it up for auction with a starting bid I was willing to live with and see what happens. Well, except I wouldn't sell it, it'd be cool to own something like that.

Edit: forgot a word, and it totally changes what I was trying to say...

Archived