BWB Burns Night

needle

You know, I might just be being a complete dumb-arse, but we do know that the Celtic Connections festival is on in Glasgow during this time and has a Ceildh on that night?? Being a bit slow post-hogmanay i somehow hadn't managed to connect the dots. Could this be the answer?? Would mean doing a Glasgow night instead of an Edinburgh one, and would rely upon the hospitality of Daj, GoN and Daj's mum.

Festival - http://www.celticconnections.com/celtic/index.cfm

Event - http://www.celticconnections.com/celtic/in...600&EvNum=42544

Your thoughts?

Is this a confirmed list then?

Mormont

chal and Beerbitch

sophelia

Branthe Builder

Zak and Mrs Zak

Ser V (and Lady V?)

GoN and Daj

Barry

Sean

Zollo

morair sneachd

Needle

Tenalpia

John

Pod

Flippa

hmm..16 are absolutely definite, haven't heard from ser V or john or Sophelia for a wee while. I was going to bring a couple of friends up with me too.

I might be being a pain in the arse here, (pretty sure I am :P) but while the Glasgow thing solves the ceilidh part, we'd still have to sort out the actual burns supper bit. I'll do some more googling, and maybe some phoning around. (damn my slow internet connection atm)

Fancy that. I don't come here for ages and when I do, you're all missing me. ;)

Yes, I'm still keen. I've been away for a while so apologies for lack of posting.

Just trying to sort out whether this clashes with a: a work do, and b: my mother coming back up to Edinburgh to say goodbye before she goes back to NZ. Also need to chat to Ms V about it. What with Xmas, New Year's and having my mum to stay, I haven't had a chance to ask her if she's keen and about putting people up.

Zak, def keen for a pint soon, maybe Thursday night?

I will be definitively in Scotland as of friday night. No idea whether I can make Edinburgh Friday though, but I said that already. No news from the western front, so to speak.

And I'm willing to take part of the blame for forgetting about the Celtic Connections thing - I remember picking up a flyer around X-mas thinking, that'll be the time of Burn's Supper. Not that this helps at all, but there you go.

:)

After much googling, i came up with this for functions..they've got a range of bars and seem to organise any size of event in edinburgh. i've fired off an email, see if they are interseted. The Raeburn in Stockbridge, on of their bars, has also got budget accomodation.

So : big ceilidh in Glasgow, or private party in edinburgh! Let the people decide :P

There's a ceilidh on at the Assembly rooms in Edinburgh on Friday night; but that's not of use to everyone :P.

Sounds good feezlebub. I can only mangage Edinburgh but I can manage either night. I like the sound of a private party but am aware that that involves most work on someone's part...sorry I'm not more useful but three young children = never a peaceful moment to pick up a phone. Thanks for all the work that everyone else is doing - it's much appreciated :bow:

Really looking forward to meeting up again :D

There's a couple of pubs nearby from Mormont's earlier link that i can check out tomorrow night.

Ser V, how about The Cambridge on Young/Thistle Street (same street different names) at 5.30 on Thursday then? Sound ok? They do awesome burgers there. Anyone else is welcome to come along of course. GoN, Daj, Mormont, John, Ten? :)

ah c'mon dudes - I already bought my tickets to Edinburgh!!!!!! (And it's been Edinburgh since the beginning)

Seriously - having Saturday night in Glasgow would cause wrinkles, and unwanted headaches. (And having Friday night Glasgow would cause me to emo - cause i don't get into until 2030 and to get the Glasgow from edinburgh airport will be hell on earth)

N

Saturday should definitely be Edinburgh, I think. The Blind Poet would be a good venue: I have kind memories of that place, they would always cash a check the weekend before payday. :P The Raeburn could be good if there's accommodation onsite: the complication otherwise is getting back to wherever we're staying. ;)

Not available on Thursday, alas, that's my night with the kids. :)

I'm here, been busy at work. I did have a look around, and the Celtic Connections ceilidh seems like the best option for the saturday, if we want to do a ceilidh. There is Burns Reloaded at the Corn Exchange, but it's expensive and probably booked up.

so ... i dunno. From personal experience I know it's nigh on impossible to create your own ceilidh experience without a lot of people and a band. But we could easily manage a Burn's supper and mess around with some music. Would be fun either way.

As for Glasgow vs Edinburgh, I don't really mind. There'll be enough of us in Glasgow to do some Friday drinking and maybe go through in a group. It depends how much people want to do a proper ceilidh.

I can't do Thursday either, cheers anyway.

It's going to be impossible to do a burns supper properly and a full on Ceilidh, looks like.

I lean towards doing a proper burns supper, In Edinburgh, on Saturday night, as per original plan. After that we can head up to Whistlebinkies for ceilidh music and dancing, or put a wee dance of our own on. 20 is enough to do all the dances. Hopefully this wifey will email me back tomorrow about what they can organise for us.

If anyone wants the full on ceilidh experience, there is one in edinburgh on friday night. But Burns night is about haggis and speeches and poems and songs, no just ceilidh dancing!

ETA : I have fond memories of the Blind Poet - well, especially the barman - too, Mormont. Many a lock in there. :P Worth talking to them.

Raeburn is only 15 minutes walk from the High Street, where the Youth hostels are, ye wuss ;p (or Zaks place)

I'd vote for some Burns-related event too. You can have a ceilidh every other day a year. Maybe we should just be spontaneous concerning whether we want to do dancing or not.

Shortest mo-post ever. Wow.

Archived