Best SF&F Author Thread

Werthead

A few magazines and other forums have been doing this recently, so let's go for it.

Rules: only nominate 5 authors. Your first choice will get five points, the bottom one one point and so on. The thread will be ongoing until the end of April or until everyone loses interest, whichever comes first ;)

All science fiction and fantasy authors are eligible, including supernatural horror (Barker, King) and magic realism (Borges, Eco, Rushdie).

GRRM [i]is[/i] eligible to be entered. I thought long and hard on this and decided that we have more than enough regular Lit. contributors who are open about the fact that GRRM is not their favourite author (maybe not even in their Top 5). Given that I visit other websites belonging to authors not in my Top 5 either, I don't see it as a major problem. However, when coallating the votes I will also create a 'non-GRRM' list just to see how that pans out as well.

Well, this was a hard one for me, because what is my criteria? Who do I think writes good SF&F or what do I like the best? There's two very different answers. Though I am afraid GRRM tops both of those lists for me, everything else is probably different. Hmm, I know most of you are probably answering the first question so I will be contrary and answer the second.

1. GRRM
2. Jim Butcher
3. Steven Brust
4. Connie Willis (she'd be on my writes well list too)
5. Robin McKinley (guilty pleasure)

I'm (so far) a big fan of Abercrombie and Lynch, but since I've only read the first of their respective series, I don't feel I can put either of them on this list yet.

This is a really difficult question, as I could make a separate list for fantasy, epic fantasy, non-traditional fantasy, science fiction, SFF classics, etc...

I'm going to go with a very eclectic mix, which doesn't really overlap with anyone else's

4. China Mieville
2. Ursula K Le Guin
1. Gene Wolfe
3. Mervyn Peake
5. Thomas Pynchon

I realize I left epic fantasy off. In return, I expect most fo my picks to be gone by the second round of elimination. :(

ETA: Because I realized I needed to rank them.

Very difficult question; some contemplation is required on this... I really like Abercrombie and Lynch (and Abraham and Sanderson and Buckell), but have they done enough to make it into my top 5?

I have to think on this.

I can't wait to see the results, though. Great topic Wert!

I was beginning to despair at the absence of Vance!

1. JRR Tolkien
2. Jack Vance
3. Stephen Donaldson
4. Julian May
5. Frank Herbert

PS I haven't put in GRRM or Joe Abercrombie because the first one hasn't finished anything and the other has but I haven't read it yet!

Hmmmmm hmm hm.

1. Philip K Dick (and I'm dismayed to be the first to nominate him)
2. JRR Tolkien
3. Arthur C Clarke
4. China Mieville
5. Dan Simmons

Very tempted to nominate GRRM, but after dipping into his non-ASOIAF stuff I'm not sure he deserves it.

This [i]is[/i] a hard question. I love some authors, but their books are quick one time reads. I want their [b]NEW[/b] books. Other authors write books that you can reread time and again. I guess I will stick with those authors.......I'll treat it like the old stuck on a desert island question.

1. JRR Tolkien
2. Michael Chabon
3. Neil Gaiman
4. GRRM
5. Isaac Asimov

[quote]5) George MacDonald (an oldie but a goodie)[/quote]

If that's George MacDonald Fraser, I don't think he's eligible. He's never written any SF or Fantasy that I know of.

Very difficult. Had to rate on level of engagement/enjoyment. The actual prose/craft of only few of these have literary merit.

1. Bakker
2. GRRM
3. Donaldson
4. Tolkien (rated low only because his work is dated)
5. Morgan

Eco, Mieville, Abercrombie, Cook and Erikson deserve mentions.

Archived