Best SF&F Author Thread

Werthead

1. Gene Wolfe
2. Italo Calvino
3. Catherynne Valente
4. Milan Kundera

I'm not going to list a 5th because after #1 there's really just an amorphous ocean of about 50 different authors that all speak "quality" to me in different ways; the ones I picked here are just what happened to wash ashore today, but I could have picked a different set with equal honesty.

[quote name='Blanc de Wert '79' post='1272398' date='Mar 14 2008, 10.11']If that's George MacDonald Fraser, I don't think he's eligible. He's never written any SF or Fantasy that I know of.[/quote]

Nope it is a guy who inspired/influenced Tolkien (somewhat) -

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Macdonald"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Macdonald[/url]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled polling: "Norvege - nul points".

Aratan

1. Goodkind
(just kidding.....)

1. Jorge Luis Borges
2. Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
3. J.R.R. Tolkien
4. Isaac Asimov
5. Edgar Allen Poe.(is he eligible? If not then...) Robert Heinlein.

Borges is not my [i]favorite[/i] writer by any means, but he's head and shoulders above all the rest.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin

1. Jorge Luis Borges
2. Italo Calvino
3. Gene Wolfe
4. Edward Whittemore
5. China Miéville

If I had gone further, it would have been: Eco, Saramago, VanderMeer, Bakker, Tolkien, Bradbury, Hopkinson, and Le Guin. I like stopping at prime numbers ;)

1. GRR Martin
2. JRR Tolkien
3. Robin Hobb
4. Guy Gavriel Kay
5. Scott Bakker

P.S.

I agree it might not be a bad idea to unpin the thread for a while so it gets more notice, I know I only noticed it after two days and I visit frequently. You can always sticky it again later.

1. Stephenson
2. Le Guin( well a wizard of earthsea and tombs of Atun, most of here other stuff is meh but those two were brilliant)
3. Bakker
4. Pynchon
5. GRRM/China/Erikson/ Charles Stross

this thread reminds me that I have to pick up some Vance/Cooke/ Zelazny/ Abrecrombie stuff some time

Alright after some deliberation:

1. GRRM
2. Bakker
3. Charlie Huston
4. Graham Joyce
5. [s]Robin Hobb[/s] Joe Abercrombie (She gets the nod here over authors whose work I'm anticipating more because of her body of work, but these days I'd much rather read a new Abercrombie, Lynch, Sanderson, Buckell, or Abraham book)

Edit: after finishing [u]Last Argument of Kings[/u], Joe gets the nod over Hobb. Best epic/heroic fantasy I've read in a long time, and it's very rare to read a series that each book is better than the last.

1. Tolkein

2. GRRM

3. Bulgakov (is this legit?)

4. Douglas Adams

5. Scott Lynch

If Bulgakov won't fly, I guess he gets moved off for Asimov or Abercrombie.

I certainly wouldn't have noticed this unless it hadn't turned up on the last post thingy.

1 Donaldson
2 Vance
3 Bakker
4 Kay
5 Cook

I'd like to have slipped Wolfe in there somewhere too, maybe in Kay's stead, but I think I'll go with this.

*finally spots the sticky*

Tough call. Deliberation could be long and messy, so I'm going with a 5-minute gut reaction that I will doubtless regret on hitting Post:

1. GRRM
2. Tolkien
3. Vance
4. Erikson
5. Pratchett

Archived