Last Argument of Kings SPOILER THREAD

Werthead

I get the impression it was Khalul who broke one of the laws first.

Bayaz started up the Union and was growing powerful. Khalul began his empire of Eaters to get an upper-hand on Bayaz. Bayaz breaks the First Law in response.

Don't we only have Bayaz's word for that?

Don't we only have Bayaz's word for that?

We've got more beyond that.

I mean, The First Law is sort of a contradiction to begin with, but Bayaz only went after the Seed when the series started.

But by that point, Khalul had been building his Empire of Eaters for .. decades at least. Maybe longer.

I think it's pretty obvious that Khalul went for the Big Guns first, even if Bayaz started the original conflict.

I think it's pretty obvious that Khalul went for the Big Guns first, even if Bayaz started the original conflict.

Not at all. Back in the day, when Bayaz started it, he went for the Big Guns. He attacked and killed the Maker, the biggest gun of all. And his building of an empire goes way back in time to shortly thereafter. We have no evidence that Khalul started building up Ghurkal before Bayaz was established as the man behind the man in Andua.

Anyway, who else thinks Khalul was Juvens' lover?

Never occured to me, but this would seem to fit.

Not at all. Back in the day, when Bayaz started it, he went for the Big Guns. He attacked and killed the Maker, the biggest gun of all. And his building of an empire goes way back in time to shortly thereafter. We have no evidence that Khalul started building up Ghurkal before Bayaz was established as the man behind the man in Andua.

That's .... that's not a "Big Gun" at all. That's juts Bayaz using normal magic to knock off big name gus.

Bayaz goes about using normal sorcery and the occasional eater protege for most of his time. It's only when Khalul decides he needs an army of Eaters to take him on that Bayaz breaks the First Law big time and goes after the Seed.

Khalul is the one that seriously escalates the conflict.

That's .... that's not a "Big Gun" at all. That's juts Bayaz using normal magic to knock off big name gus.

Bayaz goes about using normal sorcery and the occasional eater protege for most of his time. It's only when Khalul decides he needs an army of Eaters to take him on that Bayaz breaks the First Law big time and goes after the Seed.

Khalul is the one that seriously escalates the conflict.

You just did an unintentional (I think) sleight of hand. If Big Gun = Khalul getting Ghurkal, then we have no evidence that Khalul went first. Bayaz got Andua very shortly after the Maker dies, no? At least we have absolutely no reason to think that Bayaz got Andua as a reaction to Khalul.

Archived