AGOT Mafia XLIX - The Foundation of the Kingsguard

House Targaryen

[quote name='House Thorne' post='1297003' date='Apr 1 2008, 18.42']This is possible. I want to see what Florent has to say here. I may vote for them.

I would vote for Wythers, simply because their interaction with Smallwood is not unsympathetic; but admittedly, not necessarily [i]sympathetic[/i] either. Plus, they cast doubt on Florent for doubting Smallwood, which could be innocent in itself, but may not be. Possibly too good to be true, and may be nothing.

Smallwood's code is a joke? If not, it's pretty stupid, [u]but I suppose it could make sense[/u], FMs could be Fs and Ms, In which case S could indeed be the symp! Smallwood playing up such a code doesn't exactly help themselves! Stupid as well as symp?[/quote]

You are really middle of the road in that post. Leaving all of your options open. I don't like it.

I especially don't like the part where you say Smallwood's post was either a joke or stupid, but then add that you suppose it could make sense. I agree with the first part (it was a joke or stupid), but I don't see how it could make sense. The role distribution is random. A player's alt name has nothing to do with the role he gets.

You are suspicious [b]Thorne[/b].

[quote name='House Merryweather' post='1297018' date='Apr 1 2008, 20.59']You are really middle of the road in that post. Leaving all of your options open. I don't like it.

I especially don't like the part where you say Smallwood's post was either a joke or stupid, but then add that you suppose it could make sense. I agree with the first part (it was a joke or stupid), but I don't see how it could make sense. The role distribution is random. A player's alt name has nothing to do with the role he gets.

You are suspicious [b]Thorne[/b].[/quote]

It could still make sense, as I wrote, because houses starting F,M,F,M could indeed be Faceless Men. It would be coincidental, and any four drawn at random could have the same likelihood, but it isn't necessarily more unlikely than any other random 'code'.

Are you saying I'm middle of the road and suspicious because I'm not adamant either way over Smallwood? Neither is Florent, but you don't seem bothered about them.

[quote name='House Thorne' post='1297026' date='Apr 1 2008, 19.05']It could still make sense, as I wrote, because houses starting F,M,F,M could indeed be Faceless Men. It would be coincidental, and any four drawn at random could have the same likelihood, but it isn't necessarily more unlikely than any other random 'code'.[/quote]

That wouldn't cause his supposed theory to make sense. It would just be a random coincidence.

[quote]Are you saying I'm middle of the road and suspicious because I'm not adamant either way over Smallwood? Neither is Florent, but you don't seem bothered about them.[/quote]

It's based on everything you said in your post that I quoted. Look at these statements.

[quote name='Thorne']I would vote for Wythers, simply because their interaction with Smallwood is not unsympathetic; but admittedly, not necessarily sympathetic either.[/quote]

[quote name='Thorne']Plus, they cast doubt on Florent for doubting Smallwood, which could be innocent in itself, but may not be.[/quote]

[quote name='Thorne']Possibly too good to be true, and may be nothing.[/quote]

[quote name='Thorne']Smallwood's code is a joke? If not, it's pretty stupid, but I suppose it could make sense[/quote]

You say something and then hedge your bets with a contradiction at least 4 times in that one post. It stood out to me as being very middle of the road.

Well, I think the FMFMS theory is pretty much dead... Pretty far-fetched. Then again, I don't really think anyone believed it in the first place. The first stages in the game are pretty wide open, so I'll just say [b]Smallwood[/b] for now.

[i]This thread seems to have come to a grinding halt, so I'm out.[/i]

You people wouldn't recognize a bad pun if it sauntered slowly through the room, naked. :P That'll show me for embracing the new-April spirit and letting Eris get the better of me.

Change vote to [b]Florent[/b]. Of all of the F's and M's I've named, Florent seems the fishiest.

Right now I'm inclined to agree with Merryweather's points on [b]Thorne[/b]. Thorne's excessive hedging about another player strikes me as rather suspicious. I do not like the implications of a player repeatedly raising issues about another player as if they're a sign of guilt and then immediately pointing out that it doesn't necessarily mean anything. It looks shifty, or if not shifty, rather unhelpful to the innocent cause.

For me, this play reads like Thorne is trying to shape the group's thoughts about a player while avoiding direct confrontation. Clearly raising an issue as odd or suspicious is going to shape a reader's thoughts even if the observation is followed by a disclaimer pointing out it's not necessarily suspicious, so it looks like a manipulative piece of play to me.

I should point out that there could be another explanation for Thorne's play, namely that Thorne simply has nothing of substance to add and therefore posts inoffensive nothings in an attempt to be seen to contribute. Either way, it still looks suspicious to me.

It is day 1.

15 players remain: Bar Emmon, Connington, Corbray, Erenford, Fell, Florent, Grandison, Mallister, Merryweather, Plumm, Pommingham, Smallwood, Thorne, Tollett, Wythers.

8 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

2 votes for Thorne (Merryweather, Pommingham)
2 votes for Wythers (Connington, Thorne)
2 votes for Florent (Wythers, Smallwood)
1 vote for Plumm (Corbray)
1 vote for Smallwood (Florent)

7 players have not voted: Bar Emmon, Erenford, Fell, Grandison, Mallister, Plumm, Tollett.

about 13 hours remain

[quote name='House Thorne' post='1297003' date='Apr 1 2008, 22.42']This is possible. I want to see what Florent has to say here. I may vote for them.

I would vote for Wythers, simply because their interaction with Smallwood is not unsympathetic; but admittedly, not necessarily [i]sympathetic[/i] either. Plus, they cast doubt on Florent for doubting Smallwood, which could be innocent in itself, but may not be. Possibly too good to be true, and may be nothing.

Smallwood's code is a joke? If not, it's pretty stupid, but I suppose it could make sense, FMs could be Fs and Ms, In which case S could indeed be the symp! Smallwood playing up such a code doesn't exactly help themselves! Stupid as well as symp?

Corbray placed a (presumably joke) vote on Plumm, then made another post, then went quiet. I want to see what's going on with Corbray.[/quote]

:o

I realize this has been pointed out, but damn, it is hard to ignore such a classic middle of the road statement as this.

Generally, I would say it is one of two things: the desire to look helpful, while not making any commentments or 2: The not so clever way of defending Smallwood. If he points out all of Smallwood's possible reasons for looking guilty or suspicious and then discounts everyone of them, that should leave us thinking Smallwood is an innocent, if a bit silly.

Which leaves me with two choices: Is Thorne a baddie looking to be helpful or a symp trying to defect from Smallwood?

Since we have plenty of time still, I would like to continue to observe both of them before deciding which way to vote, but right now, they are the two I am considering and would be willing to vote off.

edit for proper punctuation.

For some reason Wyther bothered me when I was reading through, but when I looked it over again I can't really come up with anything. There was something about the entire Smallwood exchange that I found strange, but then again the entire Smallwood thing was just strange and, in itself, a waste of time. It did get some interesting reactions, so I guess in sum it was a good contribution to the game.

I really don't buy the Thorne case. Some people just can't suspect people all that much. I'm that way myself, and so I don't really find Thorne's posts suspicious, just... not very helpful. However, I'd be very interested in hearing more from him, especially concerning his vote for Wythers. He seems to consider voting for Corbray, Smallwood, Florent, and Wythersm but doesn't really state too many reasons. Then again, it's really hard to come up with something on day 1, so maybe not too strange. The reason for Corbray is because he put a vote and went away, Smallwood because of the code, and Florent for being undecisive (agree here). Of those, the one that really stands out is Corbray. Why on earth Corbray? He's made three posts that I can see, one joke vote, one asking if the game is halted already, and one about... well, nothing.

This is a bit of a far fetch, but what if this is a symp clue we're looking at? Then Corbray would be most likely as a FM, along with one of the three others.

[b]Thorne[/b]

[quote name='House Grandison' post='1297352' date='Apr 2 2008, 08.30'][b]I really don't buy the Thorne case. Some people just can't suspect people all that much. I'm that way myself, and so I don't really find Thorne's posts suspicious,[/b] just... not very helpful. However, I'd be very interested in hearing more from him, especially concerning his vote for Wythers. He seems to consider voting for Corbray, Smallwood, Florent, and Wythersm but doesn't really state too many reasons. Then again, it's really hard to come up with something on day 1, so maybe not too strange. The reason for Corbray is because he put a vote and went away, Smallwood because of the code, and Florent for being undecisive (agree here). Of those, the one that really stands out is Corbray. Why on earth Corbray? He's made three posts that I can see, one joke vote, one asking if the game is halted already, and one about... well, nothing.

This is a bit of a far fetch, but what if this is a symp clue we're looking at? Then Corbray would be most likely as a FM, along with one of the three others.

[b]Thorne[/b][/quote]

Uh...

You voted Thorne after saying you don't buy the case on him nor find him suspicious?

For the record, the post was middle of the road. I could vote him but there hasn't been near enough discussion thus far.

[quote name='House Grandison' post='1297352' date='Apr 2 2008, 08.30']For some reason Wyther bothered me when I was reading through, but when I looked it over again I can't really come up with anything. There was something about the entire Smallwood exchange that I found strange, but then again the entire Smallwood thing was just strange and, in itself, a waste of time. It did get some interesting reactions, so I guess in sum it was a good contribution to the game.

[color="#4169e1"]I really don't buy the Thorne case. Some people just can't suspect people all that much. I'm that way myself, and so I don't really find Thorne's posts suspicious, just... not very helpful.[/color] However, I'd be very interested in hearing more from him, especially concerning his vote for Wythers. He seems to consider voting for Corbray, Smallwood, Florent, and Wythersm but doesn't really state too many reasons. Then again, it's really hard to come up with something on day 1, so maybe not too strange. The reason for Corbray is because he put a vote and went away, Smallwood because of the code, and Florent for being undecisive (agree here). Of those, the one that really stands out is Corbray. Why on earth Corbray? He's made three posts that I can see, one joke vote, one asking if the game is halted already, and one about... well, nothing.

[color="#4169e1"]This is a bit of a far fetch, but what if this is a symp clue we're looking at? Then Corbray would be most likely as a FM, along with one of the three others.

[/color][b]Thorne[/b][/quote]

I am not sure I follow your reasoning. You don't think Thorne is suspicious, but you find his reasoning (or lack there of) for voting not Corbray suspicious? Is that correct? You think Corbray a more likely FM in this case, but yet your vote is on Thorne. Can you please clarify this for me?

It is day 1.

15 players remain: Bar Emmon, Connington, Corbray, Erenford, Fell, Florent, Grandison, Mallister, Merryweather, Plumm, Pommingham, Smallwood, Thorne, Tollett, Wythers.

8 votes are needed for a conviction or to go to night.

3 votes for Thorne (Merryweather, Pommingham, Grandison)
2 votes for Florent (Wythers, Smallwood)
2 votes for Wythers (Connington, Thorne)
1 vote for Plumm (Corbray)
1 vote for Smallwood (Florent)

6 players have not voted: Bar Emmon, Erenford, Fell, Mallister, Plumm, Tollett.

Less than 12 hours left.....

:smash: Bar Emmon

Mallister: Are you playing?

Grandison: What the hell was that?

OK, so the "cases" on Thorne and Florent look to be similar - they are middle of the road, non-committal and unhelpful. There's 3 on Thorne and 2 on Florent.

There are two votes on me for what we can call "bad vibes" as neither Connington nor Thorne articulated anything even as marginal as the cases on Thorne and Florent.

We got one for Plumm that's maybe a joke vote. Corbray, want to help us out?

and lastly Florent's vote on Smallwood that's based on FFMMS theory/Smallwood being sympish. I think FFMMS is nonsense other than as a sad,pathetic symp clue. If it is then the FM should kill him now before he blows it up for them.

I'd like to hear from Pommingham. I liked the post on Thorne, except for the nice little escape clause paragraph. I generally don't like it when players suggest defenses for those they are voting for. Let's let Thorne defend himself with his own words.

I'm content with voting Florent for now.

Archived