Goodkind XXXVI. Moral pie with celery sauce

Gabriele

[quote name='Triskele' post='1283778' date='Mar 21 2008, 15.20']Foreverlad, as you have bravely read the whole series, here's a question: Does TG's writing get any better? And by that, I don't mean his philosophical ramblings...I mean his prose. I have laughed out loud at times reading WFR at how amateurish he is. I would have thought that if he presented WFR to someone, they would say "I don't think writing is your thing." More fool I. Instead he presented it to someone and became a multi-millinaire author.[/quote]

Sorry for the late response.

No, it doesn't get better. Tairy started off as an expansive author, entrenched in the fantasy he was growing up with and expanding on it with the help of books by a few authors. When the 'deep' fantasy well went dry, Tairy was forced to become a philosophical expert and spend all his time reading nonfiction for his inspiration.

At some point he became obsessed with the ideals of Ayn Rand and decided the rest of the world would be Objectivists if they simply understood it all. For that reason, he spent the last 6 or 7 books in the series dumbing down the dumb to make certain every half-literate mouth breather could understand the beauty of Objectivity.

Because of this, his work is possibly more frustrating to read than Ayn Rand's work itself. Ayn was at least semi-original and "high brow" intellectual texts weren't mass-consumed by the normal folk back in her day, so needing to preach it and over-explain it is kind of understandable. Tairy's writing simply gets worse. He creates some of the most inefficient and perplexing analogies you could ever imagine. To better explain a plot point, one character relays the analogy, but instead of putting it in laymen's terms, Tairy overcomplicates it, making the original issue more easily digestible than the 2 pages he just spent summing it back up.

An example would be: The Lemmings are a bunch of commies who detest life and frown upon the works of Terry Goodkind. That's a simple situation. Now imagine My* with a 12 paragraph didactic rant full of 'Truth' and moral superiority complex telling you why you suck. That's how Tairy 'sums up' prior events.

Worse, Tairy has jumped his own moral shark and turned a single book into a 3-book "conclusion", each of which were filled with fluff, and Deus Ex's out the wazoo. Instead of producing 'quality' for your money, he's producing toilet paper for your mind.

Basically, Tairy was in such a hurry to make a quick buck he stopped trying to learn and focused solely on teaching.

teaching what? Dunno. We're still trying to figure that out.

edit: sorry, got carried away. The prose actually gets worse. Not only does the dialog devolve, but Tairy reduces description and explanation down to the smallest of syllables, unless he's preparing to get words like "Zeitgeist" re-involved in the conversation. It's either magical jargon he created on the spot or it's polysyllabic bullshit that doesn't belong. There. Simply. Is. No. Uniform. Style. To. Any. Thing. He. Writes.

[quote name='The Wolf Maid' post='1284296' date='Mar 22 2008, 02.32']For one thing, Cat has not had her own sister gang-raped (who had been previously gang-raped) because she refused to join in their cause. Kahlan did that to her half-sister.[/quote]
*nitpick* Klan only threatened her sister with gang-rape.

There's no good or bad writing, there's only objectivistic and non-objectivistic writing. And those who seek the Truth will find it, no matter how mangled the prose.

The problems we have with Tairy's style lie in our lack of moral celery. ;)

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1284522' date='Mar 22 2008, 08.53']*nitpick* Klan only threatened her sister with gang-rape.[/quote]
But did go through with having her brother killed.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1284833' date='Mar 22 2008, 19.28']But did go through with having her brother killed.[/quote]
Well...he did drop dead right there in the tent. but nobody took credit for it. Klan certainly didn't do it. You always know when Klan is about to kill somebody. She loses her fucking mind.

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1284841' date='Mar 22 2008, 15.34']Well...he did drop dead right there in the tent. but nobody took credit for it. Klan certainly didn't do it. You always know when Klan is about to kill somebody. She loses her fucking mind.[/quote]
That's true, there was no silent thunder. But somebody murdered her brother in cold blood right in front of her and she did nothing.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1284844' date='Mar 22 2008, 19.37']That's true, there was no silent thunder. But somebody murdered her brother in cold blood right in front of her and she did nothing.[/quote]
Could have been worse. She could have decreed the "Gadi treatment" for him. Sudden death is preferable to other things she'd done.

Off to drink now. Maybe I'll stop by later. Hammered.

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1284841' date='Mar 22 2008, 23.34']You always know when Klan is about to kill somebody. She loses her fucking mind.[/quote]

You mean she has one in the first place? ;)

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1284841' date='Mar 22 2008, 17.34']You always know when Klan is about to kill somebody. She loses her fucking mind.[/quote]

Actually, Klan usually kills during bouts of almost-rape more than anything.

That's why it's almost rape and not true rape.
Without a fucking mind one can't have fucking sequences.
I'm pissed at the life choosing thread starter who didn't use my totally death-choosing title.
FREE T-SHIRTS PEOPLE.

yeah I'm a little upset. I wanted the T-shirt title too. I just didn't want to have to do it myself because I'm a lazy death chooser who drains the blood out of any good objectivist society.

Foreverlad, nice summation. I couldn't do it better myself.

[quote name='The Shining Enigma' post='1285673' date='Mar 23 2008, 14.39'][font="Book Antiqua"][size=3]Undoubtedly, it would have been better to have left the choosing of the topic title to one better able, that is, to myself.
[/size][/font][/quote]
Yah, but we didn't want to get stuck with [b]Goodkind XXXVI: Let's all lick his balls![/b], or somesuch.

There's some bits in Chainfire that got me thinking about how dumb it was. There's a scene where Richard is all depressed over Kahlan being missing, and no one remembering her, so he he's at the top of the Wizard's Keep probably about to jump to his death because no one believes him. So Nicci finds him and manages to convince him not to jump, and this all works out fine. Richard believes life is not living because Kahlan is gone, and he has no idea how to get her back, and with no one even believing him about her, what's the use? People have probably suicided over less in the real world.

So cut to the end of the book. Nicci learns Richard is actually right about Kahlan after torturing that Sister of the Dark to death... so what does she do? She tries to kill herself, or get Richard to kill her or something, because she feels she no longer has a right to life because she didn't believe Richard. Absolutely ridiculous. She'd talk him out of suicide for much larger reasons, then a few hundred pages, she'd try and off herself for far less. -_-

[quote name='Un-Yearded Pita' post='1285227' date='Mar 23 2008, 02.47']I'm pissed at the life choosing thread starter who didn't use my totally death-choosing title.
FREE T-SHIRTS PEOPLE.[/quote]

Death choosers such as myself would have to work and put effort into more damn t-shirts if we did have that title.

I don't labor for my food, I beg.

Moral pie with Celery sauce is just fine. ;)

Edit: Jerec, yeah, you're absolutely right. Everyone learns everything from Dick until they forget it and decide they want to die. If it didn't work that way, we wouldn't have such a righteous and forgiving dick to fawn over...or a plot to linger on for 2 more books. Those pages aren't gonna fill themselves! More character conflict allows for more philosophical pining.

I'm leaving in an hour and a half to choose life by going on a trip to the desert.
In a heat wave.
Sometimes I wonder if the man running the universe truly isn't an old man with a cat. The possibility scares me.
If I don't decide to jump off a cliff like a true lemming desperately trying to catch a breeze, I'm probably gonna die of the heat, so I bid thee all (Especially Enigma) farewell.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1285948' date='Mar 24 2008, 01.23']Wolfmaid - Triskele likes :wideeyed: :wideeyed:

When are we going to hear some casting decisions on Raimi's disaster to be? I was trying to describe this filth to my brothers over Easter dinner today. They aren't necessarily Spiderman fanatics but I said "Yeah, Sam Raimi is turning the worst fantasy into a TV show." They were like "Why?" I couldn't quickly explain it.[/quote]

The easy answer is because Sam Raimi is politically conservative, and sees something in Wizard's First Rule that echoes his political viewpoint. Mind you, what that is exactly remains unclear to me. WFR was harmless enough in retrospect compared to the later books.

Archived