Goodkind XXXVI. Moral pie with celery sauce

Gabriele

I can't remember RR torturing anybody, and I also don't remember all that Civilian Slaughter mentioned above. So, did this stuff happen in NE or latter, or have I just forgotten even more than I thought I had?

[quote name='Ripley' post='1296166' date='Apr 1 2008, 12.06']I can't remember RR torturing anybody, and I also don't remember all that Civilian Slaughter mentioned above. So, did this stuff happen in NE or latter, or have I just forgotten even more than I thought I had?[/quote]

The civilian killing happened in Naked Empire. Dick was in one of his "you're either with us or you're against us" moods and slaughtered protesting civilians who were in the way of his righteous 1000 man killing spree.

Dick hasn't tortured anyone. His friends have though. Remember that troublemaker in Faith of the Fallen, that teenager who wouldn't show Dick any respect and had sex with Nicci? They had him tortured for a long time after he killed the 'young' prophet, I can't remember his name. Later, in the last three books, Nicci, who learned the value of life and blah blah blah from Dick was going to torture one of the dark sisters for information. This dark sister was already dying from a sword wound and Nicci was going to allow her a LOT of pain unless she forfeited the information she had.

Even worse with Klan in the first book. She's under the influence of the Con Dar or the Pon Farr or whatever it's called and she has the pedophile tear off his own genitals and eat them as punishment for his 'hobby' that includes little boys.

If these people were vengeful, angry or psychologically scarred, we wouldn't be arguing over it, but no remorse or 'oops' is ever shown. It's wrong when the Order does it, but it's fine when Dick & Co choose to.

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1296204' date='Apr 1 2008, 19.29']It's wrong when the Order does it, but it's fine when Dick & Co choose to.[/quote]

Sadly, that's pretty much the attitude of the US government as well.

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1296158' date='Apr 1 2008, 11.59']AFD with Tairy is fun, [url="http://www.wotmania.net/wotmessageboard2showmessage.asp?MessageID=89494"]you see[/url]?[/quote]

I did some research on the Tairy threads a while ago. Some people from this site made the goodkind is our God Site as a parady.... and the WoT folk are too dumb to know that this is just another way to flame Tairy. I think it is hilarious. Then the site got hacked and all these robotic posters spammed the shit out of it.

I don't know if everyone here knew that already, I dont remember who I saw posting in that thread from oh so long ago.

ahahaha

cracks me up

[quote name='Exa Inova' post='1295936' date='Apr 1 2008, 09.34']On the subject of raptor gaze I googled this and found [url="http://beavis.org/richard/"]this site.[/url]

The Lemmings are out there.....[/quote]

oh my God, that is exactly the way I imagined ol dick. I wonder if they'll cast this guy to play him, hes just so natural at it.

btw, are these pictures from that dumb show about Superman when he was in highschool.... uggh

Thanks Foreverlad. I vaguely remember the pedophile thing now that it's mentioned. For the life of me I have no recollection of "that teenager who wouldn't show Dick any respect and had sex with Nicci". Actually, I have no recollection of Nicci. I guess that GoodKind brainflush of mine was pretty successful.

[quote name='respectabull' post='1296478' date='Apr 1 2008, 15.03']and the WoT folk are too dumb to know that this is just another way to flame Tairy.[/quote]

Yeah, well... a lot of the folk 'round here thought I was the genuine article in my opposition of the Goodkind praise on that site... this despite the fact that every post was completely devoid of argumentation...

I mean, it's not like we haven't seen this kind of stuff from [i]actual[/i] Goodkind fans. Anyone remember that contest about writing how [i]The Sword of Truth[/i] has changed our lives for the better?

Or how My* pronounced that 90% of Europeans wish they were Americans?

[quote name='Ripley' post='1296631' date='Apr 1 2008, 16.43']Thanks Foreverlad. I vaguely remember the pedophile thing now that it's mentioned. For the life of me I have no recollection of "that teenager who wouldn't show Dick any respect and had sex with Nicci". Actually, I have no recollection of Nicci. I guess that GoodKind brainflush of mine was pretty successful.[/quote]

NP Ripley.

Nicci was Dick's teacher back in book 2. She was one of the Dark sisters. In FotF, she's the one who forged that magical link with Klan and kidnapped Dick to the old world. By the end of the book she saw the errors of her life and became one of the good guys. The punk kid was like the landlord's son or something. He was always brandishing a knife and talking smack to Dick. After the hoodlum had his way with Nicci (she told him to have sex with her) Dick threatened to kill him for being a troublemaker, so he ran off and joined the Imperial Order. In the Order, he came face to face with the young prophet and stabbed him or something. Young prophet's very old sister-of-the-light girlfriend person makes sure he's tortured nonstop for the next 24 hours or something.

You'll have to give me directions on GK brainflushing. I tried drain-o but it didn't work.

T-shirts sporting Tairy slogans aren't really such a new invention... that noble life-chooser, George Michael, got there way back in '84 :P

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hksil-KkebQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hksil-KkebQ[/url]

PS. Im only a part-time Tairy-hater, never having read the SoT series, just his funnier interviews and these threads. Do I lack the moral celery to become a lemming of discord? :huh:

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1295649' date='Apr 1 2008, 00.44']1. Use of torture: it's a horrible atrocity when the bad guys do it, but when employed by the good guys it's perfectly fine[/quote]

And as WFR taught us, 'ole Dick just kinda plain gets into it. Sometimes. Depending on who's doing it. :leaving:

[quote name='Exa Inova' post='1295936' date='Apr 1 2008, 10.34']On the subject of raptor gaze I googled this and found [url="http://beavis.org/richard/"]this site.[/url]

The Lemmings are out there.....[/quote]

NOOOOOOOO! Not Tom! Superman can never be Richard Rahl. That would be so very very wrong. ACK!

Not only does Team Dick torture for information. They sometimes just do it out of spite.

If I remember correctly Verna condemns someone who infiltrated the camp and killed a magic user to be slowly tortured to death [b]as a punishment[/b] and to show him the error of his ways.
Kahlan explicitly approves of this, though she thinks it's a little to mild. Cara does the actual deed.

This serves absolutely no purpose at all unless you are an utter sadist.

For extra comedy, you can contrast that scene with one from Book 2, where Kahlan, um, infiltrates an enemy camp and kills a magic user. However, she is not righteously tortured to death for her act, she and her gang of naked whitewashed soldiers save the day.

[quote name='danro' post='1297426' date='Apr 2 2008, 08.51']Not only does Team Dick torture for information. They sometimes just do it out of spite.

If I remember correctly Verna condemns someone who infiltrated the camp and killed a magic user to be slowly tortured to death [b]as a punishment[/b] and to show him the error of his ways.
Kahlan explicitly approves of this, though she thinks it's a little to mild. Cara does the actual deed.

This serves absolutely no purpose at all unless you are an utter sadist.[/quote]

Yep Dan, that's the exact situation I was referring to earlier. Verna's hubby-boyfriend, Warren (the young prophet) was the one killed by someone Dick knew in the Old World. Torture wasn't argued against at all.

Going back to the very first book, Zedd teaches Dick that killing with the sword is dependent on the user's perception. If they believe a person is guilty, they can kill them. If they don't believe it, the sword will pretty much hit an invisible wall.

Whether stated or not, EVERY single person Dick has killed by sword in the series was someone he believed deserved it.

"You'll have to give me directions on GK brainflushing. I tried drain-o but it didn't work."

NP Foreverlad. Just don't touch anything by TG for years and in the meanwhile read GRRM and other antithetical works to TG (aka 'good literature') and before too long you'll forget the countless TG wasted hours that you will always regret and can never get back.

I really can't remember too much from the series and I made it to book 7(?). I just remember in the last book I read, having absolutely run out of patience with TG when RR is having some real intense, life or death sword fight against another master swordsman/villian while he rants at great length on the inherent goodness of the capitalist system. During the swordfight mind you. Political discourse (complete with massive logical holes, warped assumptions and rediculous straw men) DURING the climatic sword fight. FUCK YOU TERRY! I won't waste another second on him. I don't read a fantasy series because I want to hear fuckin Glen Beck or some right wing shithead preach at me. Leftist philosophies being force fed to me during what I thought was going to be a fantasy series would go over no better. Just FUCK YOU TERRY!

so anyway, I want to start an [url="http://encyclopediadramatica.com/"]Encyclopædia Dramatica[/url] page on Tairy, but I don't have nearly enough GK knowledge to go it alone, especially since I never even managed to finish off the first book much less the rest of the series. I'm hoping some of you here have the moral celery to help me with the tricky bits, starting with what to name it. Should I create it under Terry Goodkind or should it be Tairy Goodkind or something else? I can use redirects for other similar names.

Obviously stuff like My* drama would have to go on there as well, to make it Internets-relevant.

Hi all...just finished reading the last 35 threads (lots of downtime at work) and wanted to thank everyone for a lot of great humor and useful criticism. I've been involved in a sad, desperate, masochistic attempt to finish the series once and for all (part need for closure, part need for bookshelf space, and part inability to stop poking at interesting open wounds), and the proud crusade of the Lemmings of Discord has helped me solidify a vague but growing discontent with Goodkind's prose and philosophical message into outright horror and contempt. Thank you all! :)

So...is it a foolish attempt to expect plot continuity to be immensely frustrated that (in [i]Stone of Tears[/i]) huge hordes of the Imperial Order showed up in the Midlands long before Richard brought the New World/Old World barrier down? I just read the part in [i]Confessor[/i] regarding yet another attempt to blame the prelate for everything that advanced the plot in the series, and it reminded me. It just irritated me to remember that the IO was having their fun in Ebinissia long before they should have been able to, and nobody in the books seems to be concerned about this at all.

I believe that IO horde wasn't from the Old World. I think it was explained that Jagang was infiltrating peoples minds and spreading his religion/war. If you remember, the horde wasn't that big... it was just a surprise attack. Im sure there were enough magic haters then to be able to comprise this army. I may be completely wrong... maybe my mind made up false memories to fill in the holes that Tairy couldn't connect...

As far as shirts go... I just want a don't "feed the yeard" shirt, or I could go with one of those 3 picture shirts that tells a story.
I'm sure someone could make it into something funny.

[quote name='The Man' post='1297874' date='Apr 3 2008, 02.54']so anyway, I want to start an [url="http://encyclopediadramatica.com/"]Encyclopædia Dramatica[/url] page on Tairy, but I don't have nearly enough GK knowledge to go it alone, especially since I never even managed to finish off the first book much less the rest of the series. I'm hoping some of you here have the moral celery to help me with the tricky bits, starting with what to name it. Should I create it under Terry Goodkind or should it be Tairy Goodkind or something else? I can use redirects for other similar names.[/quote]
Probably title it with Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind or something. Or The World According to Terry Goodkind. :)

Archived