How I Met Your Mother

Jaxom 1974

I was wondering why I didn't buy Ted and Robin's relationship- why there was no on screen chemistry between them, and it occurred to me I don't believe [i]any [/i]of Ted's relationships. I mean yeah, he would know girls like that, but he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself as much as he should be around women.

Then it occurred to me what's wrong. My gaydar is going bonkers around that actor. I don't buy Ted as a romantic because the actor's gay. Gay, gay, gay.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1293998' date='Mar 30 2008, 18.46']I was wondering why I didn't buy Ted and Robin's relationship- why there was no on screen chemistry between them, and it occurred to me I don't believe [i]any [/i]of Ted's relationships. I mean yeah, he would know girls like that, but he doesn't seem to be enjoying himself as much as he should be around women.

Then it occurred to me what's wrong. My gaydar is going bonkers around that actor. I don't buy Ted as a romantic because the actor's gay. Gay, gay, gay.[/quote]

Ummmmm...but do you buy Doogie Howser as the horndog womanizer? 'cuz he's gay.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1294196' date='Mar 30 2008, 22.59']Ummmmm...but do you buy Doogie Howser as the horndog womanizer? 'cuz he's gay.[/quote]

Nobody buys Doogie Howser as anything but Doogie Howser. Thats why the guy is still Doogie Howser 15 years after the titular role was played.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1294207' date='Mar 30 2008, 20.08']Nobody buys Doogie Howser as anything but Doogie Howser. Thats why the guy is still Doogie Howser 15 years after the titular role was played.[/quote]

True story, we saw an ad for this on TV last week, and my fifty-year-old dad asked, "is that Doogie Howser?!"

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1294196' date='Mar 30 2008, 20.59']Ummmmm...but do you buy Doogie Howser as the horndog womanizer? 'cuz he's gay.[/quote]

obviously a better actor. :P

hey, I'm a fan of the show. I think the dialogue is first rate, and the actors are all fab; even Ted who got a bit less annoying as the series progressed. But, gay or straight, there's no heat between he and Robin. He spends more time looking at some random point on the fourth wall than he does looking at her. Lilly and Marshall are much more believable as a couple.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1294237' date='Mar 30 2008, 23.46']obviously a better actor. :P

hey, I'm a fan of the show. I think the dialogue is first rate, and the actors are all fab; even Ted who got a bit less annoying as the series progressed. But, gay or straight, there's no heat between he and Robin. He spends more time looking at some random point on the fourth wall than he does looking at her. Lilly and Marshall are much more believable as a couple.[/quote]

I will go with that that is most likely because of bad acting...

...yet this could be brilliant direction and sublime acting. Lily and Marshall are the married ones, we know their relationship lasts. Ted hasn't met his "Lily" yet, we know Robin isn't it, so that is why Ted hasn't acted like Marshall. Ted may moves to those heights of goofy passion when he meets the woman that becomes the mother of his kids.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1294237' date='Mar 30 2008, 23.46']obviously a better actor. :P

hey, I'm a fan of the show. I think the dialogue is first rate, and the actors are all fab; even Ted who got a bit less annoying as the series progressed. But, gay or straight, there's no heat between he and Robin. He spends more time looking at some random point on the fourth wall than he does looking at her. Lilly and Marshall are much more believable as a couple.[/quote]

Well, it's not a spoiler to say that whether one believes in Ted and Robin's relationship, their eventual split, to me, played a lot more real than Ross and Rachel...but that's my opinion.

[quote name='Guy Kilmore' post='1294422' date='Mar 31 2008, 04.39']I will go with that that is most likely because of bad acting...

...yet this could be brilliant direction and sublime acting. Lily and Marshall are the married ones, we know their relationship lasts. Ted hasn't met his "Lily" yet, we know Robin isn't it, so that is why Ted hasn't acted like Marshall. Ted may moves to those heights of goofy passion when he meets the woman that becomes the mother of his kids.[/quote]

eh, I was suspecting someone would say this, I just disagree.

Jax: Ted and Robin broke up? I'm only in the middle of season two now. Thanks a lot. :rollseyes:

(kidding) I think I'm current with the show at this point.

Lilly and Marshall make a good TV couple they add a lot to the show. NPH is great, I love his character, Barney is a kinds TV friend that is fun to watch on TV but would not be a fun or good friend to have in real life.

[quote name='ztemhead' post='1294508' date='Mar 31 2008, 08.27']eh, I was suspecting someone would say this, I just disagree.

Jax: Ted and Robin broke up? I'm only in the middle of season two now. Thanks a lot. :rollseyes:

(kidding) I think I'm current with the show at this point.[/quote]

Feh. You know they were going to break up by the end of the pilot! :lol:

And tonight's episode: Awesome. Right down to the Doogie Howser riff ending.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1295552' date='Mar 31 2008, 22.00']Feh. You know they were going to break up by the end of the pilot! :lol:

And tonight's episode: Awesome. Right down to the Doogie Howser riff ending.[/quote]
yeah i think at some point when ted (saget narrating) is talking to his kids he refers to robin as "aunt robin" (those with dvds might be able to help confirming this)

SPOILER: today's episode
who else thinks mystery barney stalker is future mrs. mosby?

edit for spoiler :D

[quote name='Jhogo's Evil Twin' post='1295563' date='Mar 31 2008, 19.11']yeah i think at some point when ted (saget narrating) [b]is talking to his kids he refers to robin as "aunt robin" [/b](those with dvds might be able to help confirming this)

SPOILER: today's episode
who else thinks mystery barney stalker is future mrs. mosby?

edit for spoiler :D[/quote]

He says it in the pilot episode, and that is what Jaxom was referring to.

I hope you're spoiler's not right
SPOILER:
I sure wouldn't want Barney's sloppy seconds, and I hope Ted wouldn't either

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1295580' date='Mar 31 2008, 19.25']He says it in the pilot episode, and that is what Jaxom was referring to.

I hope you're spoiler's not right
SPOILER:
I sure wouldn't want Barney's sloppy seconds, and I hope Ted wouldn't either
[/quote]

I think it might be a sister or friend of one of Barney's conquests.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1296134' date='Apr 1 2008, 12.44']I think it might be a sister or friend of one of Barney's conquests.[/quote]

Probably not.

Don't forget that older Ted has said that the mother was at the same St. Patty's party as he and Barney ("No Tomorrow", the first post strike episode). Barney didn't go home with anyone that night (based on the scene shown with the credits). Now, could a woman Barney have slept with been at that party and be the mother? Sure, but it's far fetched to me.

Popular theory is that the woman Ted bumped into in passing at the party might be the mother. I don't buy it. I still kinda hope that it's Sarah Chalke's doctor character, who had apparently been out on St. Patty's day also...

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1296786' date='Apr 1 2008, 15.44']Probably not.

Don't forget that older Ted has said that the mother was at the same St. Patty's party as he and Barney ("No Tomorrow", the first post strike episode). Barney didn't go home with anyone that night (based on the scene shown with the credits). Now, could a woman Barney have slept with been at that party and be the mother? Sure, but it's far fetched to me.

Popular theory is that the woman Ted bumped into in passing at the party might be the mother. I don't buy it. I still kinda hope that it's Sarah Chalke's doctor character, who had apparently been out on St. Patty's day also...[/quote]

I was thinking that the girl who is sabotaging Barney is a sister of one of his conquest, and might introduce (and maybe be) Ted's girl.

I also do not think that it was the women whom he bumped into at the bar, that would be too easy. Sara Chalke's character would be interesting, but can one actress work two shows on two different networks? I have always liked her on Scrubs and thought she did a great job on HIMYM.

What will be interesting is if it was supposed to be Sarah Chalke's (totally didn't realize she'd played Becky 2.0 on Roseanne and I'm not a Scrubs fan, until Mrs. Jax told what was what) doctor character, but the apparent renewal of Scrubs nixed that idea. Because she might have been the one if she'd been free next season...

Archived