Most deep/meaningful line?

The Alchemist

• 4 weeks later...
not entirely sure of whether this has already been posted, but one of the Stark children (99% sure Bran) asks Ned...

Bran: Can a man still be brave when he's afraid?
Ned: That is the only time that he can be brave.

Also, Dany, "If I look back, I am lost."

Also, just purely for awesome factor, "Just so."

"I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." - Jamie Lannister

"All dwarves may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarves." And with that he turned and sauntered back into the feast whistling a tune. When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.

Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips.
(This is the tower of joy scene, one of my favorite ever, but I always liked that description....the whole scene is soaked with honor, but that descption always made me think "Don't want to, have to")

and many many more....

-A

[quote name='rogertheshrubber' post='1314390' date='Apr 14 2008, 21.10']Given Mr. Martin's past relationship with Disney, I'm going to assume he's seen The Lion King. Not sure about this, but isn't the "That is the only time a man can be brave" line pretty much the same thing Mufasa tells Simba? great movie[/quote]

I'm thinking it all comes from the adage (I don't remember exactly how it goes)

Courage is not the absense of fear, but is the presence of fear and the will to go on'
or
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather pressing foward in spite of fear

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Wrex' post='1313341' date='Apr 14 2008, 10.50']Tywin Lannister did not shit gold.[/quote]

I think it's "Lord Tywin, in the end, did not shit gold." I just read it last night, so I hope my memory isn't too bad.

'By what right does the wolf judge the lion? [i]By what right?[/i]'
I love this line, not sure how it's deep and/or meaningful, but it is cool. I love it when they use the heraldry of the houses in things.
E.G with Meera calling the starks 'Wild Wolf', 'She-Wolf', 'Quiet Wolf' and 'Young Wolf.'

That reminds me of anouther line.

'She was, but that's a sadder story.'

Not really a motto... but a very moving line: "'My lords,' he said to the sons, in a voice gone hoarse and shrunken, 'we... we shall need to find a stonecarver who knew his likeness well...'"

The oaths the Reeds swear to Bran (later echoed by Brienne to Catelyn) are pretty cool.

For sheer ominousness "...These are not your friends. They’re no one’s friends."

and I've always thought "Brotherfucker!" rolls off the tongue very nicely.

[quote name='Night Watchman' post='1436132' date='Jul 11 2008, 04.33']'By what right does the wolf judge the lion? [i]By what right?[/i]'
I love this line, not sure how it's deep and/or meaningful, but it is cool.[/quote]

This makes a nice segue for the line I would contribute:

"It was not him. It was never him."

After Jaime's dream on the weirwood stump when he finally realizes that all the time he was raging against Eddard's judgement of him, it was really Jaime judging himself.

That's the point at which he says, "Fuck it, I'm going to be honorable no matter what people expect of me" and goes back to rescue Brienne.

My other most meaningful is "I should have fucked her bloody and ripped her heart out before leaving her for that dwarf."

Archived