Most deep/meaningful line?

The Alchemist

[quote name='WightMeWorry' post='1437133' date='Jul 11 2008, 17.27']Not really a motto... but a very moving line: "'My lords,' he said to the sons, in a voice gone hoarse and shrunken, 'we... we shall need to find a stonecarver who knew his likeness well...'"[/quote]
I love this line, I cry every time.

[i]"A dragon is no slave"

"Dracarys"

"Promise me Ned"

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

"...and now his watch has ended"[/i]

Most meaningful for me though

[i]"...fire & blood"[/i] said by Doran Martell in AFFC. Always sends shivers down my spine.

[quote name='bacchys' post='1437247' date='Jul 11 2008, 22.23']I don't have the text available, but I always liked Tyrion's response to Oberyn about when and how he'd like to die...[/quote]

I like Tyrion's response to shagga How would you like to die Tyrion son of Tywin? "In my own bet at the age of 80 with a belly full of wine and a wenches mouth around my cock" I am quoting from memory I don't have the text available aether.

[quote name='ogbebaba' post='1437844' date='Jul 12 2008, 21.55']I like Tyrion's response to shagga How would you like to die Tyrion son of Tywin? "In my own bet at the age of 80 with a belly full of wine and a wenches mouth around my cock" I am quoting from memory I don't have the text available aether.[/quote]

XDDDDD

That's pretty close, actually. I think it's "maiden" rather than "wench" but you've got a pretty good memory. Of course, it's hard to forget a line like that XD

Threads like this remind me of how great this series is. Makes me want to reread it yet again.

[quote name='Mongoose' post='1318887' date='Apr 18 2008, 06.34']I don't know that I'd call it especially deep, but I've always loved Cersei's line: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die." In this story, it's so very true.[/quote]

When I read this, I definitely felt a shiver. I knew at that point that Ned was going to "get it," and not in a good way. :(

[quote name='Rockroi' post='1362934' date='May 20 2008, 21.04']"That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne... but somewhere along the way, he had become the Smiling Knight instead."

And my sig.[/quote]

I love both of these quotes too. Something about "There's no other men. There's only me" is somehow both supremely arrogant, yet strangely solitary - in a lonesome way. It echoes in my mind.

[quote name='Night Watchman' post='1436132' date='Jul 11 2008, 05.33']'By what right does the wolf judge the lion? [i]By what right?[/i]'
I love this line, not sure how it's deep and/or meaningful, but it is cool. I love it when they use the heraldry of the houses in things.
E.G with Meera calling the starks 'Wild Wolf', 'She-Wolf', 'Quiet Wolf' and 'Young Wolf.'

That reminds me of anouther line.

'She was, but that's a sadder story.'[/quote]

Meera and Jojen's travels with Bran are some of my favorite chapters, so it's natural I would love these too. I can't believe the first time I read that chapter where Meera tells the story, that I didn't have a damn clue who she was talking about. :dunce:

[quote name='Ser Scot A Ellison' post='1436236' date='Jul 11 2008, 08.28']Egg... I dreamed I was old.[/quote]

Makes me weep. He was a wonderful character. :cry:

• 1 year later...

Given Mr. Martin's past relationship with Disney, I'm going to assume he's seen The Lion King. Not sure about this, but isn't the "That is the only time a man can be brave" line pretty much the same thing Mufasa tells Simba? great movie

Actually it's an old John Wayne quote: "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

"Do you want her?" Jaime asked Peck.

The squire turned beet red.

"If she'll have you, take her. She'll teach you a few things you'll find useful on your wedding night, I don't doubt, and you're not like to get a bastard by her." Pia had spread her legs for half his fathers army and never quickened; most like the girl was barren. "If you bed her though, be kind to her."

"Kind, my lord? How...would I..?"

"Sweet words. Gentle touches. You don't want to wed her, but so long as you're abed treat her as you would your bride."

The lad nodded "My lord, I...where should I take her? There's never a place to...to..."

"...to be alone?" Jaime grinned. "We'll be at supper several hours. The straw looks lumpy, but it should serve."

Peck's eyes grew wide. "His lordship's bed?"

"You'll feel a lord yourself when you're done, if Pia knows her business."

To me this was good stuff from Jaime. He showed both respect and compassion for both his squire and Pia. (a much abused camp follower from Harrenhall) When we first met Jaime, this kind of thing was impossible to comprehend from him. I mean, in a world were non-noble girls were nothing more than animals for rape, and squires were just dipshits who polished your armor, this is ground breaking stuff. I've seen supposed "honorable" nobleman with far less thought for

Westeros' "lesser" people.

Tyrion, Internal Monologue: Bugger you all did not seem resounding last words, but all he could probably manage.

Grand Measter Pycelle, at Tywin Lannisters funereal: Your father......I remember being a young man at the citadel when the plague hit, and the old Hightower sealed the port and the gates as soon as he heard. Told anyone who tried to escape would be shot down or cut down. He kept his word, and stopped the plague spreading to the rest of the kingdom, though the smallfolk curse him and spit on his name to this day. That is the kind of man your father was.

Both paraphrased, cos I dont have the text with me. But the second one stuck with me and gave me a particular insight into Tywin Lannister and what it means to be a lord in general.

Edit: typo

And who are you, the proud lord said,

That I must bow so low?

This can pretty much apply to everything in the book. I hope GRRM has some epic poems that can match JRRT in length and awesomeness. Somewhere in the books somebody says that the marcher ballads are really long, so maybe when the focus goes back down to Dorne/Stormlands/Reach I can get this particular thirst quenched.

Archived